A&H

Skip, hop an a jump

Should players be allowed to take long hop/jump in their last step before taking a penalty kick?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, he doesn't 'feint'; he simply waits for the keeper to move and then sticks the ball the other way. His run-up is slow at the end but it's still one continuous movement.

A clever keeper just won't move or perform their own 'feint' by pretending to dive one way then dive the other way.

I don't think 'feint' is defined in the laws (I'll have to check the glossary) but I define it as pretending to kick the ball. Bruno doesn't do this.

The Referee Store
@RustyRef my question is not about if the law does allow it. Its about if it should.

For me, he doesn't 'feint'; he simply waits for the keeper to move and then sticks the ball the other way. His run-up is slow at the end but it's still one continuous movement.

A clever keeper just won't move or perform their own 'feint' by pretending to dive one way then dive the other way.

I don't think 'feint' is defined in the laws (I'll have to check the glossary) but I define it as pretending to kick the ball. Bruno doesn't do this.
Again, if this reasoning was valid then the current feinting law shouldn't be there. Players did something to put the keeper off unfairly after their run off. IFAB didn't say keepers should be clever about it. They banned it. Now that players can't do it at the end of the run up, they do it in the very last 'step' (if you could call it that). It is not as effective but still puts keepers off. I think it could still be unfair. Clearly a lot more people think it is fair game.

I remember having a similar discussion years ago and back then many thought feinting at the end of a runup was fair too.

If the movement remains forward, I’m fine with hops, etc. Feints and complete stops should not be allowed.

If the keeper knows that this is a tactic used by the taker surely the best option is to stand still. The hoppity jumpity thing at the end takes all momentum out of the run up and it relies on the keeper moving early, to just roll the ball the opposite way. The keeper has a good chance af saving it if he has the nerve. Just my opinion as a former keeper (St Joseph's, cubs league 1975).

I'm against it because it falls into the category of taking the pish. Sort of thing which could lead to the taker getting chopped down a few minutes later. It achieves nothing, is unnecessary, is arguably disrespectful and could be... 'asking for it' in the wrong game

I'm against it because it falls into the category of taking the pish. Sort of thing which could lead to the taker getting chopped down a few minutes later. It achieves nothing, is unnecessary, is arguably disrespectful and could be... 'asking for it' in the wrong game

Would you say the same about a panenka?

No, I wouldn't. I'm not a fan of doing that. Plain stupid IMO, but the Laws can't tell a player how to kick a ball

Seems like you're trying to tell a player how to run up to a ball though

These players think the hop works and gives them a higher chance of scoring. They're not doing it to take the piss and I don't think any player or fan should or would ever think otherwise.

Seems like you're trying to tell a player how to run up to a ball though
Knew you'd say that!
'Feinting' on the runup is much the same as after the runup. Maybe you're right. Hardly the most important issue facing football after all

Reactions: es1
Honestly, I’ve never understood all of this extra stuff on run ups to penalties.

Pick a corner, hit it with pace, and if the keeper makes a save tip your hat. If you place it right, the keeper won’t get it even if he guesses right.

Back