A&H

Skip, hop an a jump

Should players be allowed to take long hop/jump in their last step before taking a penalty kick?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

one

RefChat Addict
A new trend has been set in the last couple of years that penalty takers take a long hop/jump in their last step before taking a penalty kick. Presumably this is to commit the keeper and have more time to decide to go the other direction. There is some similarities to the pervious trend of feigning a kick which was outlawed in the LOTG. I am pretty sure this new trend is to achieve the same but avoid being booked. Should this be covered under the spirit of the same law?

In fact I might make this a poll.

The Referee Store
Do you have a video example? I don't see any reason they can't stagger their run to control timing--that to me is far different from a fake at the ball. And from just the description, it would seem to also put the kicker at a disadvantage, too.

(Aside: High School in the US has its own set of rules for soccer rather than using the LOTG. I'm not sure if it is still there, but there at least used to be a requirement of a continuous motion from the start of the run up to the kick--I believe that was before the Law 14 feigning at the ball restriction.)

Perfectly legal under the current laws. Plenty of hop skip and jumpers have missed pens so it's not a guarenteed goal

Nothing wrong for me. Its all one continuous movement. Keepers need to come up with a solution, I am sure they will.

I’m personally of the viewpoint that keepers should be disadvantaged at penalties and the taker should have every advantage. That’s the whole point of the penalty imo

I am going to represent the flip side. Although I am still undecided. For most reasons presented so far that this should be allowed, those same reasons could have been applied before feigning to kick the ball was an offence in the lotg. It was legal at the time, some of them totally stuffed it up and missed, keepers needed to come with a solution, keepers were disadvantaged etc etc. However IFAB decided it is illegal.

While I don't think this is as bad as that, there can be an argument made against it. You would not do it at a normal kick or a free kick, why do it here? It tips the balance too far against the keeper.

I am going to represent the flip side. Although I am still undecided. For most reasons presented so far that this should be allowed, those same reasons could have been applied before feigning to kick the ball was an offence in the lotg. It was legal at the time, some of them totally stuffed it up and missed, keepers needed to come with a solution, keepers were disadvantaged etc etc. However IFAB decided it is illegal.

While I don't think this is as bad as that, there can be an argument made against it. You would not do it at a normal kick or a free kick, why do it here? It tips the balance too far against the keeper.

but keepers are saving them regardless? fernandes, jorginho, insigne have all missed this season in high profile games using this technique so it's not a gurateed goal.

keeping the keepers so rigidly on the line thanks to var is probably the thing tipping the balance back towards the kickers imo

keeping the keepers so rigidly on the line thanks to var is probably the thing tipping the balance back towards the kickers imo
:hmmm::shifty: well that's two balance shifts for the kickers. What do you mean "back"?

I’m personally of the viewpoint that keepers should be disadvantaged at penalties and the taker should have every advantage. That’s the whole point of the penalty imo

I agree.

If it were up to me, I'd do away with every restriction on the taker's run-up for a penalty. All they've done is make it more difficult for the taker and less entertaining/skill based.

Is the skip/hop any different to the keeper feigning to go to the left, then right? Is it any different to Bruce Grobbelaar's wobbly legs antics..

A player's hop/skip does not provide them with any competitive edge. The ball is still stationary, from 12 yards. The keeper, deliberately standing off-centre before the run up, again does not give him an advantage, the goal he is protecting remains the same size.

It's nothing more than a creative method, used by attackers to play a 'mental game' with the GKs. The hope is that the keeper will 'show his hand' first, by moving towards one side or the other.

Looks the coolest guy in the stadium when then work.. and biggest fool' when not!

Reactions: es1

(Re)write Law 14 and explain yourself. Perhaps you might persuade me to your way of thinking but given you need Marty Feldman eyes at a penalty kick, I’m not looking for more things to look at.

:hmmm::shifty: well that's two balance shifts for the kickers. What do you mean "back"?

Well, if you go back to when I started reffing, the GK not only had to be on the line, but also had to be stationary until the ball was kicked . . .

Even as a former GK, I have not problem at all with this run-up, which isn't really different from a stutter step in trying to disrupt the GK's timing. I see it as completely different from the feint at the ball, which is designed to put the GK on the ground and then kick into an empty net. I see no reason for a law change.

Either enforce the law - no daft hops just before kicking - or do away with the law.
I think Bruno's is an offence. I think the hop is a feint at the end of the run-up. I think it's arguable that it is a feint. I also think it's arguable that it isn't. What it is is very obvious. And it's very obviously not punished at the top level. But then there are lots of laws interpreted differently at the top level. And sometimes the top level is slow to adapt.

Right now it's daft because it is so easy to read the book ad interpret it as an offence.

TBH I also think it's unsporting - but what about feinting a free kick run-up - well they left that out of the laws to encourage creativity - so we can't compare.

So, IFAB, fix the law!

Law 14 is clear that feints during the run up are permissible. I don't see any possible way to argue that the videos One posted are violations of Law 14 is currently written--it's not a feint after the run up, but an awkward shift while running up. Of course, there is an argument it should be a violation, but I think it is very clearly permissible under current law.

For me it's after the run-up. There is no more running after the hop. It's clearly after the running. I don't understand how this can be interpreted as during the run up, or while running up... he's run... then he hops, then he kicks!

;) IMHO of course

Whilst law can be a bit vague in some areas, it really couldn't be any clearer in this case ...

feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted)

He hasn't finished his run up as he takes further steps before kicking the ball. This law is designed to stop players making a motion to kick the ball, stop just before contact is made, then place the ball after the keeper has dived. There's no suggestion at all that this is what is happening with the likes of Fernandez and Jorginho.

Whilst law can be a bit vague in some areas, it really couldn't be any clearer in this case ...

feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted)

He hasn't finished his run up as he takes further steps before kicking the ball. This law is designed to stop players making a motion to kick the ball, stop just before contact is made, then place the ball after the keeper has dived. There's no suggestion at all that this is what is happening with the likes of Fernandez and Jorginho.
Not for me. There is no more run-up after the feint. The feint is at the end. It couldn’t be more clear to me!

I don’t see steps mentioned in the law, only run-up BTW.

This law needs editing IMHO one way or the other;)

Back