A&H

Sin bins

I find it strange that us refs are told if you do not attend a workshop for sin bins you cannot ref until you have but players can do as they like. A two-tier system!

Does it really matter if players know the sin bin rules? The refs are going to enforce them whether the players know them or not--just like all the other Laws the players don't know. It's an advantage for them to know, and if they choose not to have that advantage, why make a big deal out of it?

The Referee Store
Does it really matter if players know the sin bin rules? The refs are going to enforce them whether the players know them or not--just like all the other Laws the players don't know. It's an advantage for them to know, and if they choose not to have that advantage, why make a big deal out of it?
because the authorities threaten the refs for non-compliance but not the clubs/players. Surely, we should all be the same?

because the authorities threaten the refs for non-compliance but not the clubs/players. Surely, we should all be the same?

But players haven't had to attend training on any other laws, so why is sin bin any different? I personally think you are over analysing this somewhat.

When a new law massively changes PLAYERS DIRECTLY they should have mandatory sessions. The one i attended was 90% refs and some club secretaries.

This is so important ALL should have to attend.

When a new law massively changes PLAYERS DIRECTLY they should have mandatory sessions. The one i attended was 90% refs and some club secretaries.

Can't agree mate. There just isn't the resource for ALL to attend.
Everyone knows it's coming. Every Tom dick and Harry has some idea how sin bins work. It's not exactly a novel concept.
Those that have chose to be ignorant and not understand them, well, they learn the hard way.

Reactions: Kes

And how do you propose that is done? There's in excess of 2 million adult males who regularly play football in England, and that's before you even get onto youth and female. It would be a herculean effort to get all of those attending sessions, even if you did online sessions the infrastructure wouldn't cope.

In the grand scheme of things sin bin is small beer, it affects one caution code only. Players haven't had to attend training when there were much bigger law changes, such as DOGSO, so why should they have to for a law that only affects people that can't keep their gobs shut? I know that sounds flippant, but this isn't really that big a change. The training for referees is only needed because of the FA's application, had it been that two yellows still equals a red it wouldn't have been needed at all.

Almost all leagues will have AGMs in June and council meetings in August, and it will be mandatory for clubs to send a representative, so that is the ideal opportunity to get the CFA in to go through sin bins.
I've been accredited to deliver the training and I'm running two sessions for clubs in the next 2 weeks.

It shouldn’t have to be mandatory to attend. This isn’t a new law, it’s just a new punishment. Just let them learn the hard way if they want to test it out

Imagine if every driver had to sit for a mandatory workshop before they can drive again when a new road rule comes into effect.

And how do you propose that is done? There's in excess of 2 million adult males who regularly play football in England, and that's before you even get onto youth and female. It would be a herculean effort to get all of those attending sessions, even if you did online sessions the infrastructure wouldn't cope.

In the grand scheme of things sin bin is small beer, it affects one caution code only. Players haven't had to attend training when there were much bigger law changes, such as DOGSO, so why should they have to for a law that only affects people that can't keep their gobs shut? I know that sounds flippant, but this isn't really that big a change. The training for referees is only needed because of the FA's application, had it been that two yellows still equals a red it wouldn't have been needed at all.
Out of interest were you told there would be consequences for non-attendance at a sin bin workshop / presentation evening?

Out of interest were you told there would be consequences for non-attendance at a sin bin workshop / presentation evening?

Not that I recall. Although I know that some leagues are saying that you won't be appointed to games if you haven't attended a session.

Seeing as sin bins are enforced by competition rules, I assume grassroots friendly matches for pre-season won't be enforcing them?

Seeing as sin bins are enforced by competition rules, I assume grassroots friendly matches for pre-season won't be enforcing them?
It’s all grassroots football using it, so preseason so should be no different.

Not sure that is strictly true. This is a national initiative, within the framework of the LOTG.
All football steps 5 and below will be using temporary Dismissals, therefore, I would expect that to extend to friendlies as the reporting of dissent cautions across the board upto step 5 has changed

Not sure that is strictly true. This is a national initiative, within the framework of the LOTG.
All football steps 5 and below will be using temporary Dismissals, therefore, I would expect that to extend to friendlies as the reporting of dissent cautions across the board upto step 5 has changed
Cautions and dismissals in friendlies aren't submitted though?

Back