A&H

Sin bins

Why do I have to give a caution "in law" for an IDFK offence? Do you give a caution for offside? What I am doing is perfectly OK "in law" and works really well. If it controls the game, keeps players on the pitch playing football and makes for a more enjoyable Saturday afternoon for everyone then why wouldn't I do it?

I'm obviously not accusing you of such, although in a reply to a forum post it can seem such, but I have seen referees that are so "married to law" that they ruin games over stuff no one cares about except them.

Think you are confusing the LOTG with competition rules. LOTG say issue a caution for dissent but the competition rules will over rule this and say to issue a sin bin.

The Referee Store
Can’t see anyone being happy going down to 10/9/8 men regularly, especially when it’s just for being a big mouth. I believe it will get the message across that dissent isn’t acceptable...providing it’s punished on a consistent basis!
While some dissent is calculated knowing and accepting the consequences in return for their chance of intimidation (sin bin or not) most dissent is from those whom at the time are not thinking about consequences.

While we are in the honeymoon period, it's at the forefront of everyone's mind so it's a much bigger detergent. Once that's over, its business as usual for those who don't give two hoots about consequences and would have a go at you because that's their nature.

While some dissent is calculated knowing and accepting the consequences in return for their chance of intimidation (sin bin or not) most dissent is from those whom at the time are not thinking about consequences.

While we are in the honeymoon period, it's at the forefront of everyone's mind so it's a much bigger detergent. Once that's over, its business as usual for those who don't give two hoots about consequences and would have a go at you because that's their nature.

While there are always going to be "those" players, i.e. the ones who are always going to gob off.

The stats from the FA show a different story, over the last few seasons dissent was way down in the trial leagues from what is was before the introduction of sin bins.

It also leads to teams self policing, i.e. getting a grip of one of their players who might be close to crossing a line before they end up sitting down for 10 minutes.

While there are always going to be "those" players, i.e. the ones who are always going to gob off.

The stats from the FA show a different story, over the last few seasons dissent was way down in the trial leagues from what is was before the introduction of sin bins.

It also leads to teams self policing, i.e. getting a grip of one of their players who might be close to crossing a line before they end up sitting down for 10 minutes.
I am not disputing that. What I am saying is if you look at the the stats season by season, you will see a large drop in dissent the first season sin bin was introduced. Then you see a small increase every season after that until it flatlines. But it will not get to the level it was pre sin bin introduction.

I am not disputing that. What I am saying is if you look at the the stats season by season, you will see a large drop in dissent the first season sin bin was introduced. Then you see a small increase every season after that until it flatlines. But it will not get to the level it was pre sin bin introduction.

Yes, and that is the best we are going to see, but I do wonder whether over time those constant trouble makers will find it harder to find a club.

I doubt many teams at grassroots will keep on players if they cost them games by getting sin binned for gobbing off

We were operating sin bins in all adult football last season and for the most part this was successful. For ease I think it would be better for the sin bin card to be a different colour to yellow and like Durovigutum I also umpired hockey where there was always three colours of card. Despite all clubs having training there was so much confusion as to what was to happen when the yellow card was shown for dissent where if this card was say blue there would be a clear differentiation.
Don't forget dissent isn't just verbal it also covers actions as well such as kicking the ball away or similar after a decision is given. I had a few occasions where I had binned players only for them to commit other dissent on the way off the pitch resulting in a second yellow and therefore making them unable to take any further part in the game and also not being able to be substituted.
I believe the statistics prove that sin bins do work but they do take a little getting used to

Show yellow for dissent point to the touch line where they are to go , can’t see how that could be confusing ?

I do not disagree with your point and agree for the referee this is not confusing but despite teams having training prior to the season starting it was the teams that were confused as to the protocol and not me. It took a considerable amount of time during matches to actually explain the process.

How do you communicate a second offence whilst in the sin bin? Do you show a red card after the yellow? As the player can take no part in the match despite one caution being a dissent/sin bin offence.

How do you communicate a second offence whilst in the sin bin? Do you show a red card after the yellow? As the player can take no part in the match despite one caution being a dissent/sin bin offence.

No you show the second yellow but no red so effectively you have shown a yellow card for the sin bin and the second for a cautionable offence but as this took place while in the sin bin (although the player has not left the pitch at the time in my case they are still classed as being in the sin bin) they can take no further part and cannot be substituted either

No you show the second yellow but no red so effectively you have shown a yellow card for the sin bin and the second for a cautionable offence but as this took place while in the sin bin (although the player has not left the pitch at the time in my case they are still classed as being in the sin bin) they can take no further part and cannot be substituted either
They can both return to the FOP or be substituted in this scenario. It’s only when the second sin bin occurs that you can’t be substituted

Edit: misread the scenario. You’re correct

A consequence which is not explicitly referred to anywhere, if a player who is sent off must leave the field of play and vicinity including technical area. Under sin bin we will have players who are 'excluded' and not replaced (or are replaced), but may remain in the technical area because they are not sent off (red carded).

A consequence which is not explicitly referred to anywhere, if a player who is sent off must leave the field of play and vicinity including technical area. Under sin bin we will have players who are 'excluded' and not replaced (or are replaced), but may remain in the technical area because they are not sent off (red carded).
But they are still players so further offence and its red and off you pop.

Correct ( if the offence is cautionable or higher). But until they commit that further offence, they can stay in the TA even though they can't take part in the match.

So in effect, a player can be shown a card up to 5 times now.

Last edited:
Correct ( if the offence is cautionable or higher). But until they commit that further offence, they can stay in the TA even though they can't take part in the match.

So in effect, a player can be shown a card up to 5 times now.
5? How?
4 max surely

5? How?
4 max surely
2 X sin bin
Then USB from the TA - no red card so far.
Then another USB in the TA. This is the 4th card which is then followed by a 5th card which is red and that's the end of him.

2 X sin bin
Then USB from the TA - no red card so far.
Then another USB in the TA. This is the 4th card which is then followed by a 5th card which is red and that's the end of him.
If there have been 2 sin bins. The third results in dismissal doesn't it?

Did the training last night, not as bad/complicated as I thought.

My own summary to help me remember - sin bin x 1 on own or with 1 other caution - OK to play on/come back on
2 x sin bins - off but can be subbed
Any combination of 3 cards and they are off - no sub

Didn't realise that ANT games shorter than 90' are 8 min sin bins, subs and managers ARE shown 'normal C2 yellows for dissent and ANY offence committed while in the sin bin, then player cannot return.

Also time IS carried over into 2nd half/E/T if necessary but any players in sin bin at end of ET CAN take part on KFTPM

Hope that's all correct!

Back