A&H

Sin bins (again)

Anyone from England in any doubt about the FA expectation of time management:
  • Referee includes any lost time. If the referee stops their watch during any player's 10-minute period in the sin bin, the referee will stop his watch to include any lost time.
If you stop the watch for the sin bin when you stop the watch for the game, you aren't including that time in the sin bin period.
How can an instruction that requires excluding a thing be interpreted to mean it includes that thing?

The Referee Store
If you stop the watch for the sin bin when you stop the watch for the game, you aren't including that time in the sin bin period.
How can an instruction that requires excluding a thing be interpreted to mean it includes that thing?
What are you actually saying???
If you stop the watch at 5 mins. Wait 2 mins. Then restart it there is still 5 minutes left on the sin bin and at the end of the sin bin 12 minutes will have elapsed on the continuous clock. Player will have effect sat out 12 mins but will be compensated by 2 mins being added at the end of the half.

We seem to be making a really simple concept extremely complicated.

The teaching given by the FA is that the sin bin period is, for want of a better term, 10 minutes game time.

If a player has been in the sin bin for 5 minutes and then the ball goes in a bush and it takes 5 minutes to get it out the player will still have another 5 minutes in the sin bin (and those 5 minutes will be added on at the end of the half)

I can see why you are thinking that way. To include it can mean to make it part of the something. But it is also commonly used to mean to add it to something. In this case it is the latter and the fact the FA has used "stops his watch" supports they could only mean to add to the time.

God, did the person from the FA used to work for the IFAB?

Again: this is exactly opposed to what the LOTG say. The time lost, if it will be added on, must be included in the temporary dismissal time.

I'm going to adhere to the word and apparent spirit of the law, and the player is going to be allowed back when they have served ten minutes, whether it's 10 played on the field or 10 waiting for a stretcher.
If the writers of the law wanted the temporary dismissal period to be extended, they would have said so. Instead they wrote that the temporary dismissal period includes the time lost. I'm still boggled that anybody can read the words and think it was meant to be the opposite.

That's fair enough. But where interpreting ambiguous statutes a person should always be mindful to assess their construction of the words against what is known as 'absurdity'. Your construction flies in the face of the policy of the lawmakers which is, quite simply, to punish dissent.

That's fair enough. But where interpreting ambiguous statutes a person should always be mindful to assess their construction of the words against what is known as 'absurdity'. Your construction flies in the face of the policy of the lawmakers which is, quite simply, to punish dissent.
The point of a yellow card in rugby is to punish deliberate foul play, but the timer runs through even if the game clock is stopped. It's not absurd at all in that light, since "foul play" in rugby would often correspond to a dismissal offence in football.
If time were actually stopped in football, then yes, "off at X and back at X+10" would make sense. If time doesn't stop but instead an arbitrary time is added later, "back in 10 minutes" is the only transparent way to manage this.

The point of a yellow card in rugby is to punish deliberate foul play, but the timer runs through even if the game clock is stopped. It's not absurd at all in that light, since "foul play" in rugby would often correspond to a dismissal offence in football.
If time were actually stopped in football, then yes, "off at X and back at X+10" would make sense. If time doesn't stop but instead an arbitrary time is added later, "back in 10 minutes" is the only transparent way to manage this.

I'm not certain that the Laws of rugby require the match time and the sin bin time to run independently... I think, in fact, that they run together.

Transparency is a fairly weak argument given the wide powers referees already hold in relation to determining time to be added on.

All in all, it depends how you interpret the word 'includes'. I would suggest that the opinion of the majority of referees is that the word be given a meaning which goes against your construction.

I'm not certain that the Laws of rugby require the match time and the sin bin time to run independently... I think, in fact, that they run together.
Of the games I've watched, the YC timer has kept rolling even through a time stoppage e.g. TMO review. The laws are silent either way, and looking at YouTube it seems to be a matter for the match organiser to pick.

Transparency is a fairly weak argument given the wide powers referees already hold in relation to determining time to be added on.
Exactly. A referee can make it up as they go, turn a 45 minute half into as little as 30 or as much as an hour, and end it exactly when they want. This is already a major transparency issue - that we are okay with it doesn't justify adding more hidden information, when that's the opposite of simple and fair.

All in all, it depends how you interpret the word 'includes'. I would suggest that the opinion of the majority of referees is that the word be given a meaning which goes against your construction.
It's an ambiguous phrase, certainly, and while a lot here are saying it one way, they've also been explicitly told what they have to do. On the other hand, evidence for their interpretation is to quote the exact phrase that is the source of the issue, so I'm expecting guidance to come much as for the "GK chip trick".

So, you would be happy if you put a player in the sin bin and then his team boot the ball into the next county so he only misses 1 minute of the match (9 minutes having been spent getting the ball back).

Where is the punishment in that?

So, you would be happy if you put a player in the sin bin and then his team boot the ball into the next county so he only misses 1 minute of the match (9 minutes having been spent getting the ball back).

and adding the 9 mins on at the end of the half...

And if they take an extra few seconds at every free kick, goal kick and throw-in, that's not reducing the punishment either?
Teams park the bus, stall the plane and break the tempo all the time when they're down a player. Unless you're going to pick on every instance of delay and count them all up, with the same accuracy you're going to give that nine minutes, what are you achieving except distraction?

And if they take an extra few seconds at every free kick, goal kick and throw-in, that's not reducing the punishment either?
Teams park the bus, stall the plane and break the tempo all the time when they're down a player. Unless you're going to pick on every instance of delay and count them all up, with the same accuracy you're going to give that nine minutes, what are you achieving except distraction?

Are you being intentionally difficult?

If one of my games gets delayed for 9 minutes because of an injury (for example) I stop my watch, therefore if the injury occurred in the 30th minute after 9 minutes when play restarts there will still be 15 left to play.

Exactly the same is supposed to happen with sin bins. If a player has been in the bin for 1 minute and the game is stopped for 9 minutes, they still have another 9 minutes left in the bin after the game has restarted.

If you think you are right, send an email to IFAB, and let us know what they say

@Nij As per one of my previous posts, your interpretation is different but has credibility with the way the law is written. I am hoping you can see how my/our interpretation also has credibility. Now you have two choices,
  • apply how everyone else interprets it
  • apply how you interpret it (which is different to everyone else)
Take a pick.

it's simple, if, in cases of time wasting (accidental or intentional) where ordinarily you would add stoppage time to make up for the time lost, you add time on to the end of the sin bin. if you would have ignored the time lost as trifling then you dont.

If you issue the second yellow card to player already in sin bin then I presume he can remain on the touch line and can not be sent to the dressing room as no red card issued. If he then commits further dissent or gives an outburst of offensive or insulting language what do we do then ?

If you issue the second yellow card to player already in sin bin then I presume he can remain on the touch line and can not be sent to the dressing room as no red card issued. If he then commits further dissent or gives an outburst of offensive or insulting language what do we do then ?
Issue a second (/third) yellow or straight red depending on offence and dismiss him.

I assume send off would be second bookable offence and the sin bin would be recorded separately as c2 sin bin.

Yes, we were told at training that because it technically isn't a dismissal (even though they can take no further part in the game), they can remain with their team at the sidelines.

Not really sure where "Nij" is coming from to be honest.

The training slides delivered to all of us are quite specific where this subject is concerned. The ref adds on any "lost time". End of.

The whole purpose of the sin bin introduction (for dissent only) was to punish dissent by making the guilty player's team suffer a player short for 10 mins as a result of his transgression. If you're not going to add "stoppage time" onto it - what's the effing point? @Nij :wtf: :D

Back