A&H

Signed up!

TheLC

Officially signed up to a league for the first time, did my course about 3 months ago so need to dust the cobwebs off! Haven’t reffed a game yet but hoping to get involved in some friendlies to get a feel for it. Think the main thing I am taking into it is to just enjoy it and everything else will come with it

The Referee Store
Good luck, let us know how they go or if you have any questions before your first match!

Thank you Graeme! No doubt I’ll be back in here Friday night frantically reading through all the forums getting all the tips I can!

Best of luck. Strongly recommend you familiarise yourself with the league rules for the league you are going to officiate it. Make sure you enjoy it

Thank you @Gamespoiler! Just whilst I’m here, I’m going to be using my Apple Watch with the REFSIX app, not sure if anyone would recommend it. I’m thinking about also having another watch for timekeeping stoppages etc . Any recommendations on this, I was thinking a simple Casio watch

Thank you @Gamespoiler! Just whilst I’m here, I’m going to be using my Apple Watch with the REFSIX app, not sure if anyone would recommend it. I’m thinking about also having another watch for timekeeping stoppages etc . Any recommendations on this, I was thinking a simple Casio watch
Cheap Casio will do the trick.

For starting out, avoid the fancy apps. Focus on getting the basics right, which is applying the cautioning procedure you've been taught. Adding in an app on your watch is another thing to worry about.

When you first start, it will feel like things are going at a million miles per hour, so even focusing on the basics can be a challenge in a match scenario.

I use refsix and I like it. But you don't want to use it in your first game because it takes some getting used to.

Use refsix to referee matches you are watching on TV. You'll see what I mean.

A cheap casio is better for your first game. Note the actual time of kickoff so if you forget to restart the timer after a stoppage you're not completely lost (or just don't pause the timer, add on whatever you feel is reasonable, nobody else has the first idea how long is left).

Thank you! Think I’ll just stick to the Casio then! Totally take on what you’re saying, as I’d probably get overwhelmed with 2 watches and trying to focus on my first games! Really appreciate the advice! £10 Casio is going to get ordered

You should have 2 watches regardless, just in case one breaks, or you stop the clock for a big stoppage and then forget to restart. One watch gets started at KO and runs straight through until you blow for HT/FT, while the other watch can stop/start as you see fit. Then when watch 1 hits 45, use the discrepancy to calculate added time.

There's no harm in having your smartwatch on the other wrist and using refsix as a glorified timer just so you get used to the basic interface, but agree with the others, using it for cautions, subs etc is too advanced for your first few matches.

Thank you Graeme, yeah as the Casio I have ordered only has a stopwatch I was thinking about having my Apple Watch doing a countdown, probably feel more confident starting and stopping the Apple Watch as it’s less fiddly than a small watch on my wrist! I’m sticking to pencil and paper for my first few games, I have some ref sheets ready and waiting to be used!

Thank you Graeme, yeah as the Casio I have ordered only has a stopwatch I was thinking about having my Apple Watch doing a countdown, probably feel more confident starting and stopping the Apple Watch as it’s less fiddly than a small watch on my wrist! I’m sticking to pencil and paper for my first few games, I have some ref sheets ready and waiting to be used!
I used to do what @GraemeS does in terms of his use of two watches. It bothered me that 'time added' is arbitrary and I wanted to be more scientific about things. I'm familiar with the use of 'mental anchors'. These are moments in time when you recognize that something familiar is happening. For example, 'it's all kicking off in a football match'. By starting the second timer at that moment in time, it acts as trigger to invoke a pre-rehearsed process like 'dealing with 'it all kicking off'. If you can remember to stop the timer at the end of the event, it demonstrates that you've been able to stay in the moment, rather than get swept away by it. If that makes sense :confused:

Anyway, I've stopped doing this, but I may return to the concept at some point

For now, I just leave the second watch on the 'time of day' and note the KO time for both halves in the notebook. I've had a number of primary watch malfunctions, so I think this is a good practice to follow when you're newly qualified

My very first game, I forgot to start the watch, so noting the KO time is not as pointless as it sounds!

I was thinking about having my Apple Watch doing a countdown, probably feel more confident starting and stopping the Apple Watch as it’s less fiddly than a small watch

It's worth noting that the apple watch is totally useless in the rain.

one stopwatch, which i press start at on ko
other watch analogue showing the time, if I start at 3pm, ht be 345pm earliest
on off chance the stopwatch is stopped and i dont put it bk on.

i cant see how any method can be simplier.

chances of both watches battery or malfunction on same game is slim but should happen, i would have no qualms saying to someine with a watch, hey guys, unbeliavably both my watches have packed in on the same game, anybody got a watch i can borrow?
thats plus i have a third in kit bag, if dressing room was next to the pitch.

one stopwatch, which i press start at on ko
other watch analogue showing the time, if I start at 3pm, ht be 345pm earliest
on off chance the stopwatch is stopped and i dont put it bk on.

i cant see how any method can be simplier.

chances of both watches battery or malfunction on same game is slim but should happen, i would have no qualms saying to someine with a watch, hey guys, unbeliavably both my watches have packed in on the same game, anybody got a watch i can borrow?
thats plus i have a third in kit bag, if dressing room was next to the pitch.
Yeah I’m thinking I might keep it simple after all the advice, one stopwatch and one watch to monitor the time on! Doesn’t seem you can go wrong with that approach!

Yeah I’m thinking I might keep it simple after all the advice, one stopwatch and one watch to monitor the time on! Doesn’t seem you can go wrong with that approach!

of course its whatever suits one best and with experience we might get brave

i really dont know an easier way, easier to tell time, means we can focus on more pressing matters.

you get a feel when to, and not to stop the watch, I rarely do.

cant recall anyone at public park level ever having issue with the timekeeping but that of course does not mean someone else somewhere else has not!

You can do two stopwatches.

One stopwatch (Casio, generic cheap £5 watch or whatever), and one Fitness watch (Exercise/stopwatch) also works.

Pen and paper for the scores/cautions/yadda yadda, save the fancy stuff until later.

Officially signed up to a league for the first time, did my course about 3 months ago so need to dust the cobwebs off! Haven’t reffed a game yet but hoping to get involved in some friendlies to get a feel for it. Think the main thing I am taking into it is to just enjoy it and everything else will come with it
Best of luck with your first few games. If you need any advice, then this forum is pretty active or join your local referee society that will meet regularly.

Never had anyone question the timekeeping. In fact no one seems to have a clue how long is ever left in a game as already mentioned, get used to plenty "ref how long's left?" requests.

Do remember though that added time is entirely at your own discretion to play at all. I did once get told I was a "disgrace" and a threat to report me to the league because I only added 1 minute, I hope they did so that they'd be laughed out the building mind.

Back