A&H

Shrimpers v Addicks

The Referee Store
Saw a couple of comments last night about the referee’s size (the age old how can Phil Dowd possibly be fit enough rubbish) - have to say his positioning and movement is phenomenal, credit to them for getting the call right.

A friend of mine went to this game, and they said the ref and his AR's spotted the sinners really well in this incidence. However, he said the ref let a vicious tackle go earlier in the game and lost control a little which led to this happening.

I saw three red cards. Fair play to the ref for knowing who to give them to...
If it's the 3 I spotted, it's fairly straightforward. 1 to the Southend player who kicked the attacker on the floor, one for that guy who then got up and shoved him in the face, and one for the keeper who ran 40 yards to push one guy and throw a punch at another. There might be others that were missed, but those were the 3 moments that jumped out at me on first viewing.

Easy to spot as it was the two instigators and the massive guy in luminous green!

Everything about the refereeing here makes me happy. He started to move into the corner as it started to heat up before the foul so his positioning was good (heck, sometimes when the ball is held up in the corner I've run off the field so I'm in front of the players.......probably only a usable tactic in a lower level game). I think he made the right choice not getting in the middle - instead he knew he couldn't do much, so backed away and watched it.

Very happy to see 3 red cards, when all too often referees do nothing in these incidents.

Though personally I think the sport as a whole needs to get much tougher on these mass confrontations. It's another poison that doesn't plague any other sport like it does this one. That's a general observation.

Also happy to see the AR come across. Keeper's a complete idiot!

Back