A&H

Should we be asking for name on every caution?

deusex

RefChat Addict
Looking at the Refword shop "card skins" got me thinking...
If you have teamsheets, do you still ask for names when cautioning?
I do, just wondering what others do.

The Referee Store
I always get team sheets, still always ask for names unless I already know the player.

The number of times a player is wearing a different number to that on the team sheet....

Even when I've asked if the names match the numbers on the team sheet, they more often than not don't match. I still ask for names.

I very rarely get a team sheet ... so always take a name

in fact, I'm not even bothered if I do or don't get a team sheet ... my usual response is

'ref, do you want a team sheet?'
'not bothered to be honest mate'
'oh, but don't you need to see one for league rules?'
'look, if you haven't got one then I wont tell the league, if you don't ... is that fair?'

I think its kind of petty to report a non-teamsheet for a Sunday league?

Bit of an odd attitude @Charlie Jones? If every ref does the same then fair enough, else you don't appear to be doing your rule following peers any favours.

I very rarely get a team sheet ... so always take a name

in fact, I'm not even bothered if I do or don't get a team sheet ... my usual response is

'ref, do you want a team sheet?'
'not bothered to be honest mate'
'oh, but don't you need to see one for league rules?'
'look, if you haven't got one then I wont tell the league, if you don't ... is that fair?'

I think its kind of petty to report a non-teamsheet for a Sunday league?
Not exactly imposing discipline on the game.
I think this sort of thing is important to let the teams know who is in charge.

if I'm honest, a Sunday League game in Romford - jeez I'm just happy to have 2 sets of teams turn up and a playable pitch!

we barely have a dressing room, 8-10 we don't have anything!

it all started with me asking for team sheets, but I soon realised that they aren't really a requirement around here and to just get on with it!

sounds like such pleasantries from where you all referee lol

This is an interesting one. As a referee my official head says yes should always as for a team sheet before the game. Important piece of kit and agree shows who is in charge. However I the league in in I'm with Charlie if we get enough lads we are lucky so I don't force the issue locally but the bigger games I do. If I insisted on the local league we'd end up delaying the game by half hour every week st least!

and even when we finally got the team sheet is would be on a scrap bit of paper with something like this

Jonesy
Big Tel
Frankie C
Becksy
Ronaldo Wannabe

etc etc

Horses for courses I guess.

Local to me, they write up the sheet and do it properly or they have it back to do it again (if it is badly filled in of course, minor issues are just a quick word of clarification). If the game is delayed because of them, they get reported. I suppose because it is long standing league rules and it is enforced by refs teams do it without question and it is never an issue.

If I couldn't get a team sheet on a Sunday I'd always make sure I got subs before the game.

Then no matter what level, I always confirm the players name. With Team sheets I pre-write the players name so when I look and say "Name" they respond better.

It's very rare that I get a team sheet before the game (not in the league rules, but that's been covered before) so I always ask for names.

Personally, I think it's a good habit to get in to and avoids any issues with names not matching numbers etc.

Seems strange not to have team lines.

Every game in Scotland must have team sheets and ref must note score and subs played on team line before posting to the League secretary.

The Football Association recommends that the following actions be adopted by the referee when cautioning a player:

1. State that the player is being cautioned.

2. Enquire the player’s full name and confirm the spelling.

3. Inform the player that if a second cautionable offence is committed, then a sending off will take place.

4. Show the yellow card, clearly raised aloft and in a non-threatening manner.

(From guide to misconduct reporting issued by The FA)

Did anyone see the Man Utd ECL match on Tuesday?
Most agressive cautioning technique I've ever seen. From the hip, BANG, straight in your face.
Prob didn't hurt he was 7 foot tall

Back