A&H

Seriously questioning this refereeing lark

My response would be " with your attitude, i'm really glad i'm not"(slight smirk maybe on my face, or that too much)

The Referee Store
Well at 5 foot 11 and 15 stone, they better think twice before having a go at me....

And at 6 foot 1 and 15 stone you'd think they should with me too but alas we are referees and cannot retaliate and they know that full well so unfortunately makes no difference

Totally agree, but i would still like to see one of them try to push me over.;)

Mind you the seventeen year old defender the other day was six foot two and about 8 foot wide......his mother must have stood in a grow bag and ate polyfilla during the pregnancy....

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you've been assaulted and hope your Ok.

Unfortunately in every area there are a few teams that give even the most experienced of referees a thorough examination and at best you come off feeling like you've been in a washing machine. Thankfully I've never been assaulted, the nearest being side stepping the ball being thrown at me before swiftly dishing out the cherry in one swift movement.
When I have to officiate these teams my attitude is I'm going to break my card count record today or I'm looking to get a lemon out in the first minute.

You'll be fine of that I'm sure and wiser because of it

Herts, very sorry to hear the situation you were in. Although I've not been assaulted myself, I can certainly put you in touch with other Herts Referees who have been in similar situations, should you wish to discuss with them how they went about the situation. Drop me a message if that'll help.

Seems to be that quite often these conflicts are not even routed to management of dissent / yellows, and are simply routed to a complete and utter lack of discipline. Perfect example is the interesting game I had a few weeks back ("The Curse of St Peters" it was titled on here). I had a chat yesterday evening with a well known Herts Referee, who informed me that only yesterday, he had 2 dismissals, 4 yellows, and a coach sent away and removed from the CAR position - happened to be the same team I referee'd at St Peters, of which I had 5 misconducts, 2 reds and 6 yellows.

There is always things you could do better (in any game), but violence is violence, nothing should condone that behaviour.

Back