A&H

Seriously questioning this refereeing lark

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
4 Cautions, 2 Reds, 3 Extraordinary reports.

Tons of abuse, and all because of last weeks ref and "match control"

Peeved off today!

EDIT: Should add into the OP- And an assault on myself

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Not sure how much detail to go into as Im 99% sure this will be a personal hearing, but to add to the mix, one of the red cards was for an assault on myself because of a penalty.

Shaken up but angry more than anything. Makes me furious that that could have been a 16 year old out there, and because of referees that value "match control" a little too much, and allow dissent etc to be unpunished, that players think it ok to abuse and assault referees becuase they clamp down on dissent. And to top it all, today I was VERY leniant on dissent but certain players couldnt shut up. How are we supposed to develop referees with idiots like this around eh? If I had been a 16 year old lad out there today, my kit would be on ebay and I'd never want to put the black on again I can assure you. 16 stone bulldozer was the "assaulter" if you like.

The worst thing I find about such situations is the impotence of it all. As ref you cannot respond, just have to rely on the LOTG whereas in real life you would at least like to let verbalise your annoyance/self defence or push back. Get your reports done and try and get out and do something nice to try and take your mind off it

Did you abandon after the assault, out of curiosity?

And people wonder why I am so intolerant of the 'match control' brigade.....it's because decent referees end up getting the ****ty end of the stick when they turn up and try to do the job properly.

HF been where you are a few times over the last two seasons, keep saying I've done with it all, but end up missing it.....so go back into the Middle and after 4 or 5 ok games along comes one that makes you question it all again......and repeat, ad infinitum......until you get to where I am now......

Which is basically, stuff em all, I'll referee how I want to referee and not worry about card counts, abandonments etc etc.....if leagues or the CFA don't like it, they can always ask me to explain myself and I will gladly explain how it is.

And people wonder why I am so intolerant of the 'match control' brigade.....it's because decent referees end up getting the ****ty end of the stick when they turn up and try to do the job properly.

HF been where you are a few times over the last two seasons, keep saying I've done with it all, but end up missing it.....so go back into the Middle and after 4 or 5 ok games along comes one that makes you question it all again......and repeat, ad infinitum......until you get to where I am now......

Which is basically, stuff em all, I'll referee how I want to referee and not worry about card counts, abandonments etc etc.....if leagues or the CFA don't like it, they can always ask me to explain myself and I will gladly explain how it is.

This is now my attitude, however it is still very difficult walking to your car after a game like this!

@SM didnt abandon with 2 minutes left as the home team won 2-1 after converting the penalty. I will explain after personal hearing if their is one but the assault was not a "bad" one if that makes sense!

In hindsight, probably should have abandoned, but the loss will have hurt the team, and I have nailed all the misconduct reports.

@HertsFinest the main question here is are you okay? As in once you've had a chance to calm down, will you be alright? No injuries or anything? That's the most important thing here - reports, what actually happened etc means ****. Your welfare is more important to any of us here - hang in there mate!!

Thanks @HarryD

I'm fine, as I said, shaken up and was more worried that worse was about to follow.

@Yacinho How can you make such comments without even knowing what my yellows were for? I can assure you after 4 warnings for blatant dissent, no one can claim that the 5th go is not a yellow. And I am disgusted at myself that I allowed one of the players that many chances before booking him, as normally he would get one warning if hes lucky, then a caution. So no its nothing to do with not understanding the "match control" argument, I fully understand it, and I think its pony. Dissent is a yellow card. Simples.

And NO referee should be assaulted or feel under threat regardless what they do. I dont care if they miss 5 Dogso's, 17 handballs and allow 25 offside goals in one game. That referee doesnt go out there to make mistakes and deserves protection and appreciation for what he is doing to facilitate a game of football for the 22 blokes and lads out there kicking a pigs bladder around the local park.

'Dissent is a yellow card. Simples'

Never quite so simple when you're out there on the pitch, unfortunately. Fifty shades of grey, writ large.

Cautioned a female u18 today. Complained quite loudly about a decision. Called her in for a word. She turned her back and walked away as I was speaking. Called her back and told her not to walk away when I was talking to her

Cue, 'you're not my dad'

Cue yellow :)

Back to the o/p, a few people on here lately questioning the wisdom of being a referee. Chins up, gentlemen

'Dissent is a yellow card. Simples'

Never quite so simple when you're out there on the pitch, unfortunately. Fifty shades of grey, writ large.

Cautioned a female u18 today. Complained quite loudly about a decision. Called her in for a word. She turned her back and walked away as I was speaking. Called her back and told her not to walk away when I was talking to her

Cue, 'you're not my dad'

Cue yellow :)

Back to the o/p, a few people on here lately questioning the wisdom of being a referee. Chins up, gentlemen
lol 10/10 for her petulance!

I am sure there is a witty come back in there somewhere.

"Yes but I am stopping your pocket money. "

Or

"Don't be so sure, what's your mums name?"

- no I am sure there is a better witty come back in there somewhere.

lol 10/10 for her petulance!

I am sure there is a witty come back in there somewhere.

"Yes but I am stopping your pocket money. "

Or

- no I am sure there is a better witty come back in there somewhere.

I think insinuating that you may have knobbed her mum may not go down too well. What if the response came "my mum is dead". Awkward much! :D

Maybe suspend play while you go off to try and think of a decent comeback :D

"We getting on with the game ref?"

Hang on, thinking of a witty comeback... Hmmm

I like the pocket money one, that has legs.

'No I'm not, but you'll be using your pocket money to cover the cost of this lemon'

Can't believe what I'm reading, ANOTHER assault. This is just beyond ridiculous.

Glad you're ok Herts, the only advice I can give is to get back out there as soon as you possibly can.

If you take just one positive from today, remember that by dealing with the game as you have, hopefully 'next week's ref' won't have to go through this. Thank you for doing your job properly.

It's just "one of those games" we all have one or two a season. I agree with most of the comments on here: get back into it next week and see what happens, You'll forget all about it. Also I think the FA as a whole need to wise up and start punishing clubs and perhaps managers individually (?) with fines and point deductions if they fail to control thier players !

Oh and I'm definitely using this ^^ next time I get "your not my dad" haha !

Back