A&H

Semi Automated Offside VAR from Club World Cup

Not sure about that. Any such tech would have a margin of error. But it SHOULD be built in. For example if the margin of error is 3 cm and its internal evaluation shows the gap as being 1cm (onside or offside) I would like the external display to show it as level. So if the external display is showing 1 cm offside, its internal evaluation would have been offside by a bigger margin.

In terms of impact to lower level AR uptake, tennis would be a good case study. Many top level tournaments don't use lines people for their main courts anymore.
Hawkeye is used to indicate ball in/ball out in those tennis tournaments where linespeople are no longer needed, but that's a question of fact - with offside situations the question of being active or not comes into the equation.

The Referee Store
Hawkeye is used to indicate ball in/ball out in those tennis tournaments where linespeople are no longer needed, but that's a question of fact - with offside situations the question of being active or not comes into the equation.
Do realise this. In fact my post #7 is saying saying this with a bit more detail.

My reference to tennis was as a case study to see if this 'automation' will discourage people from taking up the trade at lower levels. Something @socal lurker brought up.

If you don't know FIFA has been working on a technology that tracks the players including their limbs to help automate the offside process with var. Which means the VAR will no longer have to draw the lines it will all be done automatically and it is now being tested at the club World Cup with the goal of having it in use for the World Cup this fall.

Here's an example of it being used in today's game. What took me by surprise is how impressive the graphics package is. It's basically created a goal line technology style animation that shows exactly which part of the attackers body was offside and gives a nice side angle view. It should help cut down on those examples where we're trying to track the line coming from the defender shoulder and seeing where the attacker is and everyone being confused.

hello cwyeary! Sorry to reach out to you in the comment section, but it doesn't allow me to chat. Would you be interested to talk about the latest UEFA RAPs (2021:2 and Euro special) with me? I see you are quite knowlagable when it comes to what UEFA expects and I would like someone to talk to when learning.

Here's another one. No more margin of error. A cm offside is offside.
for
I can (sort of) buy in to the no margin of error for defender v attacker/ball, but for first point of contact of attacker playing/touching the ball that goes to his teammate?

No way is the resolution clear enough for the 'no margin of error' there and if there is for that, it follows there should be for attacker v defender/ball as well?

Don't think they'll get rid of A/R's, since we'll keep them about for foul calls.

The tech won't apply to 99% of us though anyway.

Back