A&H

Scotland v Switzerland

BCMilan

Have you ever heard such a biased commentary (the scottish guy...McFadden ?). What chance have refs got when people watch games with such blinkered views

A&H International
He's a Scotland fan, of course he is going to have an element of bias. No different to if it was Lee Dixon, Alan Shearer, Rob Green, etc, commentating an an England game. He played nearly 50 times for Scotland, would be nigh on impossible for a Scot with that number of caps not to have a bias.

I see that the own goal by Schar at 12 minutes got changed to a McTominay goal, but I can't see the logic of that.

McTominay's shot was on target, but was going to pass fairly close to the keeper, who might well have saved it. However, Schar's attempt to stop the ball with his foot massively deflected it into the top corner of the goal, making it impossible for the keeper to save, so how wasn't it Schar's own goal like originally awarded?

I see that the own goal by Schar at 12 minutes got changed to a McTominay goal, but I can't see the logic of that.

McTominay's shot was on target, but was going to pass fairly close to the keeper, who might well have saved it. However, Schar's attempt to stop the ball with his foot massively deflected it into the top corner of the goal, making it impossible for the keeper to save, so how wasn't it Schar's own goal like originally awarded?
Because the only factor taken into account is whether the original attempt by the attacker was 'on target'. Whilst this is obviously a gross over-simplification, things need to be Black and White because of the gambling considerations.

Ok thankyou. In that case, why was it ever awarded as an own goal I wonder. As you say, this is simplified, so I wonder how they worked it out.

I find reffing situations like this fascinating and that's why I'm a member here. 🙂

Ok thankyou. In that case, why was it ever awarded as an own goal I wonder. As you say, this is simplified, so I wonder how they worked it out.

I find reffing situations like this fascinating and that's why I'm a member here. 🙂
If it's anything like the premier league there will be a dubious goals panel. The broadcaster doesn't decide so they might say own goal to start and then correct it once officially determined.

The GK is gathering that.

Schar sticks his foot out and kicks it into the roof of his own net.

Sorry, but that's as obvious an own goal as you'll ever see!! :rolleyes:

As @Russell Jones pointed out. On target or not on target takes almost all of the subjectivity out consideration. It's therefore the best and easiest way of deciding who to award the goal to and almost always takes any debate out of it

Last edited:
I seriously doubt there is any viable legal action the bookies or bettors would have. I can’t imagine a court saying that the league, which has no contract with and gets no revenue from the betting, owes a duty to the bettors or the bookies. I think the goal of objectivity has more to do with all the other pushes for objectivity in the modern game. People choosing to bet (or make books on) something that can be arbitrary do so at their own risk. (Just as the bookies can’t sue the ref who gives a dodgy PK in added time.)

I seriously doubt there is any viable legal action the bookies or bettors would have. I can’t imagine a court saying that the league, which has no contract with and gets no revenue from the betting, owes a duty to the bettors or the bookies. I think the goal of objectivity has more to do with all the other pushes for objectivity in the modern game. People choosing to bet (or make books on) something that can be arbitrary do so at their own risk. (Just as the bookies can’t sue the ref who gives a dodgy PK in added time.)
Perhaps not a legal angle, but you can imagine if a goal in one game is given to the attacker then an identical situation in a future game goes down as an own goal. There is a huge amount of money in football betting these days, it would give them a load of grief that they could do without. So it is just easier to say if the shot was on target it is the attacker's goal.

Yes, until recently, a bet has always been nothing more than 'a gentleman's agreement'. The Bookmaker has only been obliged to pay-out on winning bets to preserve reputation (otherwise nobody would trust them and/or bet with them). We have an Independent Organization that arbitrates on contentious bets. The Bookies rely upon 'official data' (such as OPTA) to settle bets
Recently, The Gambling Commission (in the UK) has been involved with legislation covering what was formerly the 'Gentleman's Agreement'

There is no set framework or International consistency for deciding on some things like 'goal, own goal'. The Bookies just go with whoever has authority to make the official decision. (I should think that would be UEFA in this case). Most just go with on-target, off-target

Last edited:
Back