A&H

Junior/Youth Same number on shirts

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Just had a manager call to ask if it would be ok for 2 players to have the same number as, unless delivery comes tomorrow, he still hasn't received his new shirts for the new season and his team have had a growth spurt since their last game back in April.

U14s.

He has had to fish around his other age groups for a spare shirt and it's the best he can do.

I said it was OK. My feeling is they're kids and we should do our best to get them playing and something as basic as a shirt shouldn't be stopping them. I understand the laws of the game state they must be individually numbered.

What would you have done, if different?
I will let the other manager know of my decision but just felt they've missed an awful lot over the last 18 months, don't want them delayed anymore because of a slow delivery.

The Referee Store
Let them play and if it's an issue with league rules, report it and let them deal with it

I wouldn't be considering any other approach at any level tbh

Agree--it is not a Laws violation, as the Laws say nothing about numbers.

Adding a "1" with adhesive tape before or after (or both!) is another way to solve so there is not a duplicate number. (But you still want to be sure you know who is 113 instead of 13 in case the tape falls off.)

There's clearly 2 options here:

1) let them play and make a major mental note in case you need to get the cards out (and make sure you follow the right caution procedure if you do, bit taking the players name!)

2) Refuse the request, Goad the manager into saying something to you, abandon the match and submit a misconduct report.

100% play.

the coach has actually done well communicating this in advance, as opposed to telling you five mins before ko

as above, should there be reason to caution, ensure take name

I would not report it as such but simply write on teamline **** there were two number 4s******

indeed I have done this, countless times.

sometimes players have no number, its all easy handled

This happens to me from time to time at adult grassroots. I tell them to turn one of the shirts inside out so there's no number. It stops complaints from the opposition that they are giving instructions to each other to mark 'the wrong no. 7'. Might stop you doing a Graham Poll too.

Of course get on with it at grassroots.

It varies so much depending on the level. Thursday I had a hobby league match with 11 vs 8 and three players without numbers. I can cope with that. I'm stlll checking them for jewellery and shin pads because we don't want nasty surprises, even in a 9-0 walk over. Last night serious league with fans and the betting companies' reps so of course everything is by the book and I'm kindly reminding the subbed players to get vests on. Context and your league by league rules are everything.

Pretty much all of the above. I would let them play. I would also tell them if this happens with another ref, it's within the referees rights to deny it. It's pretty much the same for everything common sense that is against the laws or comp rules. You don't want to be LWR or create problems for referees who want to be stricter for whatever reason.

As a side note, this (or non numbered shirts) happen frequently in a local futsal centre I referee. I carry a thick permanent marker with me. I give them the option of using it to write numbers on their jersey or I write large digits on the outside of their forearms. It's an accepted practice.

So today's game with 2 number 9s didn't go without a hitch.
Sent one off for foul language (called his opponent a Ginger see you next Tuesday following a a challenge. His manager was livid claiming he is just 14 years old, its what they say at this age.
I responded to the coach saying that, in my opinion, it was offensive as well as foul language. I also said age is irrespective when words like that come out. There is no line where it is acceptable and where it is not.
His team had a further 2 cautions and even both of them were on thin ice in nearly getting a 2nd one each.

Pretty much all of the above. I would let them play. I would also tell them if this happens with another ref, it's within the referees rights to deny it.
maybe, maybe not. That’s a rules of competition question, as there is nothing in the Laws . (Of course, I suppose that even if the ROC are clear that the duplicate number is OK, that doesn’t mean the next ref will know that.)

Same number is a luxury these days. I did an u15 game last week purple v red and a fair few purples were wearing blue shirts. Fine by me cos them 30 lads need a game and nobody complained both teams managers thought I was well good and they even paid me £20. These games of course dont happen very often but when they do its good.

Back