A&H

Ruining the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't disagree Declan. It should happen.

I also think teams and players can be biased idiots. Decisions are not always clear cut, lots of grey areas. You don't like a decision a ref gives against you? Be a man and get on with the game, don't winge like a little baby.

I also think that teams featuring "referees" are 99% (made up stats alert) tossers who have perhaps seen the law book and think they know how to referee. 99% of them are wrong. 98% of those don't keep up with law changes and make up laws as they go along (made up stat alert again) to suit their situation. Grey areas. Lots of greys areas in interpretation of the LOTG. The referee referees the game. If you are indeed a referee you know that!

I have Never come across a "referee" playing football who isn't taking huge liberties with the LOTG to support their argument. Nice and simple response. "If you are a referee you know law 5. You also know that arguing a decision with the referee is dissent. Let's get on with the game eh?"

Is @Hadit wrong about his perception of the game? Who knows. Is him coming here moaning wrong? Damn right it is. That's not how I believe refchat rolls. Supportive community of referees. :D

My opinion, not necessarily that of refchat.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Finally sm says something close to my heart I see the referees that don't deal with dissent applauling swearing also a pet hate now he might had bad day at the office he might not. But please think about a colleagues demener before blurting it out on a forum dedicated to referee's

I am a referee. I happen to be a good one. I also happen to be a player, who plays in games officiated by referees. It just so happens that sometimes these referees are poor, and last weekend was one of those cases. He was very, very bad.

First of all he was not biased towards any team, which is good, but he didn't really make a good impression, what with turning up decidedly late, not bothering to even go near the pitch before kick off and then having to delay it for a bit as he forgot to do an equipment check. The match gets underway and the referee seems to have a very loose grip, giving throw ins and corners and goal kicks the wrong way almost every single time, and then losing even more of his grip not responding to some pretty awful abuse from one team. It didn't help that the club linesman for this team was their best defender in the first half. I went to ask him if he was ok with the abuse he was getting and he told me it was a man's game, something that must have still been going through his head as the opposing team's striker was through on goal and then thrown off the ball on the edge of the box by our centre half. We could all see it was a definite red card. He'd begun walking, as he is also a referee and anyone could see it coming, yet no card whatsoever was given, even though this would have out them 2-1 up as I doubt the striker would have missed. The abuse continued from their team, especially as the free kick was tame. The next decision was one of very few he got right, a shot from about 10 yards was cleared like Suárez in the World Cup of 2010 and the penalty was given, as was the red card. I take the penalty and score it, which makes me very happy before half time.

The second half comes and goes, we score a couple more and then comes his greatest howler. Ball is thrown to number nine of our team, who is then thrown to the floor by their defender. Ball is still stationary so number nine attempts to get a foot on it. Ball is cleared out for a throw in at which point number nine gets up, apologises for if he may have caught the defender who then proceeds to start swearing his head off before throwing his head into the number 9 and asking for a booking for the number 9. Please bear in mind that all number 9 did was go for a tackle and get up before being assaulted. The referee then calls number 9 over before sending him off for violent conduct claiming he had no choice. Do bear in mind that the number 9 has never before been sent off, and is himself a referee (there's about six referees in this team). He walks and the game continues and ends. At the end the head-throwing defender agrees that is was nowhere near a red card, leaving the referee the only person thinking it was.

As a referee myself I was ashamed to be one, as this person had come in and put in the worst performance of refereeing I'd ever seen and he is one of those who gives us a bad name, yet he will have a fixture soon, maybe tomorrow, and will be able to carry on while our team is without it's top scorer for a month and he may lose his referee badge as there is no appeal without video evidence (we've never video-ed a game) and he's now got a violent conduct sending off to his name. This is exactly why we, as referees, get a bad name.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. Very big-headed and quite frankly embarrassing. You do not know everything, I do not know everything, Howard Webb does not know everything. Instead of slating other match officials, concentrate on your own performances.

Welcome to the forum by the way - just be mindful in the future.

Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn!!!!!!!Can we now close this please Mods. It has gone from one ref slagging off another to other refs slagging off that ref or each other. Boring and not healthy.

"giving throw ins and corners and goal kicks the wrong way almost every single time" - This is highly unlikely.Any chance you're exaggerating?
If you're not prepared to start reffing on that league, suck it up and get promoted a few times to get better refs. Some awful refs on my leagues, better than no ref at all!
Also why even mention the number of refs on your team? It has no relevance to your point.

There are some pretty good L7 out there.
The standard of football I ref in hasn't changed from level 7-5 and I don't feel I'm much better a ref than I was in my last year as a 7. County ****-ups slowed my progression plenty. There are many L7/6 that are as good, if not better than me.
I have, however, only watched one L4 or above that I thought I could do a better job than. But most are a different class.

Let's be realistic here. There are great and unsung referees who choose to referee at a grass roots level. Just because you choose not to go for promotion doesn't make you a bad referee.

They are great at the level they referee at.

Simple as that. Case closed.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, nobody has said that a level 7 is a bad ref but you cannot say most are as good as those at the top I.e. Level 3 and above etc, there may be the odd one or two who have it in them to develop their skills to be able to ref at a much higher level.

How many of us 6 or 7s could jump into unibond league game and get a good assessment, not many I think. The system is setup so that the better you are the higher level you go to, not we're all as exactly as good as each other and it's just down to the toss of a coin*.

*Disclaimer: we all know know that the odd idiot/useless person will promote to high, it's a fact of life and happens in everything whether we like it or not, but doesn't mean a system is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back