A&H

Ruining the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadit

Level 7 Referee
I am a referee. I happen to be a good one. I also happen to be a player, who plays in games officiated by referees. It just so happens that sometimes these referees are poor, and last weekend was one of those cases. He was very, very bad.

First of all he was not biased towards any team, which is good, but he didn't really make a good impression, what with turning up decidedly late, not bothering to even go near the pitch before kick off and then having to delay it for a bit as he forgot to do an equipment check. The match gets underway and the referee seems to have a very loose grip, giving throw ins and corners and goal kicks the wrong way almost every single time, and then losing even more of his grip not responding to some pretty awful abuse from one team. It didn't help that the club linesman for this team was their best defender in the first half. I went to ask him if he was ok with the abuse he was getting and he told me it was a man's game, something that must have still been going through his head as the opposing team's striker was through on goal and then thrown off the ball on the edge of the box by our centre half. We could all see it was a definite red card. He'd begun walking, as he is also a referee and anyone could see it coming, yet no card whatsoever was given, even though this would have out them 2-1 up as I doubt the striker would have missed. The abuse continued from their team, especially as the free kick was tame. The next decision was one of very few he got right, a shot from about 10 yards was cleared like Suárez in the World Cup of 2010 and the penalty was given, as was the red card. I take the penalty and score it, which makes me very happy before half time.

The second half comes and goes, we score a couple more and then comes his greatest howler. Ball is thrown to number nine of our team, who is then thrown to the floor by their defender. Ball is still stationary so number nine attempts to get a foot on it. Ball is cleared out for a throw in at which point number nine gets up, apologises for if he may have caught the defender who then proceeds to start swearing his head off before throwing his head into the number 9 and asking for a booking for the number 9. Please bear in mind that all number 9 did was go for a tackle and get up before being assaulted. The referee then calls number 9 over before sending him off for violent conduct claiming he had no choice. Do bear in mind that the number 9 has never before been sent off, and is himself a referee (there's about six referees in this team). He walks and the game continues and ends. At the end the head-throwing defender agrees that is was nowhere near a red card, leaving the referee the only person thinking it was.

As a referee myself I was ashamed to be one, as this person had come in and put in the worst performance of refereeing I'd ever seen and he is one of those who gives us a bad name, yet he will have a fixture soon, maybe tomorrow, and will be able to carry on while our team is without it's top scorer for a month and he may lose his referee badge as there is no appeal without video evidence (we've never video-ed a game) and he's now got a violent conduct sending off to his name. This is exactly why we, as referees, get a bad name.

The Referee Store
I am a referee. I happen to be a good one. I also happen to be a player, who plays in games officiated by referees. It just so happens that sometimes these referees are poor, and last weekend was one of those cases. He was very, very bad.
Terrible way to start your first post on a new forum.
What level are you?
Lots of us on here (including myself) have played in matches with referees who we believe are sub standard, this site however is not the place to go on ranting about it. As you said yourself he wasn't bias, he just wasn't very good. That is why he was reffing your team rather than the premier league and is the same reason why neither you or I are playing in the PL because we aren't good enough. Everyone has had a bad game, some newly qualified lack confidence and need help/guidance rather than a fellow referee ranting about how :poop: they are.

:drink: Popcorn at the ready!

You've just said it yourself; he wasn't biased, he just wasn't very good. We all have referees who we believe aren't very good, but ranting about him online isn't necessary or useful. Perhaps he's newly qualified? Perhaps he's low on confidence? He needs help and support, not derision.

Last edited:
Hull, what has your level got to do with whether you're a good referee or not?....and when did you become the spokesperson for what this site is for?

Having said that, I did nearly stop reading at 'I happen to be a good one'

But I perservered and carried on reading.

You say 'rant', I say 'point of view'....I'd need at least a few exclamation marks in there before I start thinking rant.....and I can't find even one. Just the way you read it, perhaps

As for 'terrible way to start your first post', your opinion, fine, but hardly welcoming.

I agree with Hull ref, not the best way to introduce yourself. I would agree you can't be that good a ref if you're only a 7 seeing as aside from youth football that's the lowest level, but hey maybe you are the Pierluigi Collina of your county.

That aside, there are two sides to every story and whilst if they are as you described the guy clearly didn't have his best day at the office I have say I've reffed plenty of games were out of nowhere every other guy used to be or is a qualified referee and starts to tell me the error or my ways I take every comment like that with a shovel of salt.

No matter how bad a ref is, I think the fact he wasnt biased towards either team is about as good as it gets sometimes. I'd take a terrible ref over one that obviously favours one team, and thats at any level.

Hull, what has your level got to do with whether you're a good referee or not?....and when did you become the spokesperson for what this site is for?

Having said that, I did nearly stop reading at 'I happen to be a good one'

But I perservered and carried on reading.

You say 'rant', I say 'point of view'....I'd need at least a few exclamation marks in there before I start thinking rant.....and I can't find even one. Just the way you read it, perhaps

As for 'terrible way to start your first post', your opinion, fine, but hardly welcoming.
1.) higher level referees are better than lower level ones, that is what the whole grading system is based on :confused:
2.) I never made any comment about what this site is for, I have merely stated an opinion based on fact. :)
3.) With a first post on this site like this one, forgive me for not rolling out the red carpet.

I can't believe on this site, doing what we do, so many colleagues can consider a referee may even have some sort of 'bias'??

Have we learnt nothing of the fact that at the lower level referees have no interest/gain/benefit to favouring one team or another??

Have a word eh?

1.) higher level referees are better than lower level ones, that is what the whole grading system is based on :confused:
2.) I never made any comment about what this site is for, I have merely stated an opinion based on fact. :)
3.) With a first post on this site like this one, forgive me for not rolling out the red carpet.

1 Plenty of good referees choose not to plough the promotion furrow for all sorts of reasons, Hull. How are you grading them?
2 'this site however is not the place to go on ranting about it' - if that isn't a comment about what this site is for....
3 I'll give you that one, though, in the week before Christmas.........

Still, anything must be better than sitting at the KC at the moment :)

I would grade them the same as Hullref has stated, if you are a higher level you have proven you are a better ref. If you choose to not go for promotion then that's your choice but you will not improve as you will remain at the same standard of football.

No ref that chooses to remain a 5 could step up to a level 3 game, he might get away one game that has very little incident but when tested he/she will no doubt come up short. You can't be Select group level as a 5 having never reffed at that level. If you choose to not promote you choose to not improve your game by testing yourself at a higher level.

1 Plenty of good referees choose not to plough the promotion furrow for all sorts of reasons, Hull. How are you grading them?
2 'this site however is not the place to go on ranting about it' - if that isn't a comment about what this site is for....
3 I'll give you that one, though, in the week before Christmas.........

Still, anything must be better than sitting at the KC at the moment :)
That was a cheap shot at the end ;)
I still believe all referees at level 1/2/3 will be better than any level 7 just down to experience and the standard of football that they ref.
I also forgot to put my disclaimer at the bottom of my post:

"All views in my posts, past, present and future are the sole opinions of HullRef and do not represent that of Refchat" :)

Congratulations!

You have just won the prize for the single most ridiculous comment ever posted on a referee forum!

Was going to contribute to the discussion but in light of the terminal stupidity displayed in that comment, really can't be bothered.

This is what really annoys me, referees slating one another instead of supporting each other. If someone can say in total seriousness that they have never had a bad game, then they are lying and as referees we should know how hard it is to not rip into each others performances!

Congratulations!

You have just won the prize for the single most ridiculous comment ever posted on a referee forum!

Was going to contribute to the discussion but in light of the terminal stupidity displayed in that comment, really can't be bothered.
I'd also like to wish 'congratulations', but actually to Padfoot! Pad, your comment did make me chuckle :)

What I will say, is that I agree with the general consensus. A poor, non-bias referee is far better than a team-appointed, obviously bias officials.

However, there is a freedom of speech and if someone wishes to vent their frustrations about an official, they're entitled to do so! (Those of you who are on my Facebook would have seen a status earlier in the season in relation to a completely incompetent L4 official)

Congratulations!

Ok then let's just abolish the whole grading system, it obviously means nothing
In fact I may join you in your quest to destroy the refereeing hierarchy and the promotion of young referees. so that 55 year old centre circle charlie currently refereeing in the dog and duck Sunday league division 5 can hope that after refereeing for 2 years he has a chance of taking charge of the World Cup final.

Sounds like a great plan :confused:

I don't know anything about the british grading system
But let say you take two refs, approx same age and same experience, you wouldn't say that the level 3 one is " a better ref " than the lvl 6 one ?

I have to question the poster's initial statements because whilst most referees know they are reasonable very few claim to be good or better. The other concern is to come onto a site like this and rant. If he referees regularly then he will know that even the most experienced referees have a 'shocker' every so often.

But from a club perspective my concern with this referee would be if he officiates a second game of theirs and makes the same mistake, and a third and same again. That is also why clubs must fulfil their side of the bargain and report poor referees performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back