A&H

Rice red card

The mistake was failing to caution Pedro for the same thing earlier in the game, in my opinion.

I don't think he had a shocker, but I do think he was inconsistent.
agree it’s inconsistent and agree it’s a booking

But it’s one that is very rarely punished. How often do we see a player running the ball out of play and booting it 10 rows back?

Time wasting is far too subjective but I’ve put on another post that the multiple balls around the pitch may be to mitigate time wasting.

Time wasting definition/laws need a complete overhaul anyway

A&H International
My perspective on this, whether right or wrong, is how much does the player impact the restart.

With regards to Pedro, there's no one there to take a throw in, there's a multi-ball system in place in the ground so he hasn't actually delayed the restart. On a Sunday Morning, might be a different story and you'd have to caution him.

With regards to Rice, the only reason Rice doesn't move away from the area where he's committed the foul is to attempt to delay the restart. He does it, receives a yellow card. Can't be many complaints there. Also not fully convinced the Brighton player actually makes a lot of contact with him, the angle isn't great on it.

Playing devils advocate again then technically rice didn’t delay the play as the Brighton player was trying to play a moving ball. ;) we can all play that game.

book both or book none.
Also the kick in rice is an obvious card offence. We can debate yellow or red, but it’s a card.
Exactly this.

Rice hasn't delayed the restart of play because the Brighton player has kicked the ball at Rice and it's still moving.

Rice makes no attempt to move away from the area where he's committed a foul, kicks the ball away even if it's only a yard away. He's delayed the restart, therefore a caution.
Wrong. He has walked a fair distance from the original foul.

The ball is then kicked at him.

How can he move away from the ball if it's been kicked at him?

So 2 issues.

1) Restart is not from the place the foul occurred.
2) ball is clearly rolling because it was kicked at him

Wrong. He has walked a fair distance from the original foul.

The ball is then kicked at him.

How can he move away from the ball if it's been kicked at him?

So 2 issues.

1) Restart is not from the place the foul occurred.
2) ball is clearly rolling because it was kicked at him
He's not walked a fair distance away whatsoever, he knows what he's doing.

Restart would be about 2 yards from where the original incident takes place, which very few referees are gonna correct especially in that area of the pitch.

Rice clearly kicks at the ball and therefore delays the Brighton's player right to take the free quick quickly.

I find myself explaining this easier that this is not delaying the restart hardly at all if any than it is delaying the restart so is a card. Especially with the kick after. Talking to both players and get on with it.

That said, Rice on a yellow card, silly thing to do.

My perspective on this, whether right or wrong, is how much does the player impact the restart.

With regards to Pedro, there's no one there to take a throw in, there's a multi-ball system in place in the ground so he hasn't actually delayed the restart. On a Sunday Morning, might be a different story and you'd have to caution him.

With regards to Rice, the only reason Rice doesn't move away from the area where he's committed the foul is to attempt to delay the restart. He does it, receives a yellow card. Can't be many complaints there. Also not fully convinced the Brighton player actually makes a lot of contact with him, the angle isn't great on it.
Pedro kicked the ball onto the pitch, so that ball had to be retrieved before the throw could be taken, so did delay the restart.

Just watched match of the day. Anyone explain to me why it wasn’t handball and a penalty in the first half when Brighton captain clearly deflects the ball on the way to goal out for a corner?

We talk about context all the time. It matters a lot when making a subjective decision. Phrases like "if it's a foul in the middle of the field it's a foul in the penalty area" or if it's not a card in the first minute it's not a card in the 90th minute" only sound good on a forum. When it comes to managing a game, you take a lot of things (context) into consideration.

The only things Rice incident and Pedro incident have in common is kicking the ball away before a restart. But as far as context they are chalk and cheese and shouldn't be compared.

Pedro incident had no opportunity for or benefit from a quick restart. It was more in frustration the ball went out and no intent to delay the restart. Not sure what minute it was but Brighton was either behind or level.

The Rice incident had two big context considerations. The action deliberately provoked the opponents. It was just after a contentious decision and a lot of players around. It caused a lot of players coming together. This is always a catalyst to take the card out to de-escalate.

The other context is it was his second yellow. It would mean one team playing with 10 against 11 for half of a big game for a technical offence that is often managed.

The FB video talking about impact to the game, context, is quite right. But Crouche's reference to how far the ball went is totally irrelevant in this case (it can be in others). No impact in Pedro incident. The two big impacts (as above) for Rice incident, IMO should have canceled each other out meaning managing it would have been a better option here.

Last edited:
We talk about context all the time. It matters a lot when making a subjective decision. Phrases like "if it's a foul in the middle of the field it's a foul in the penalty area" or if it's not a card in the first minute it's not a card in the 90th minute" only sound good on a forum. When it comes to managing a game, you take a lot of things (context) into consideration.

The only things Rice incident and Pedro incident have in common is kicking the ball away before a restart. But as far as context they are chalk and cheese and shouldn't be compared.

Pedro incident had no opportunity for or benefit from a quick restart. It was more in frustration the ball went out and no intent to delay the restart. Not sure what minute it was but Brighton was either behind or level.

The Rice incident had two big context considerations. The action deliberately provoked the opponents. It was just after a contentious decision and a lot of players around. It caused a lot of players coming together. This is always a catalyst to take the card out to de-escalate.

The other context is it was his second yellow. It would mean one team playing with 10 against 11 for half of a big game for a technical offence that is often managed.

The FB video talking about impact to the game, context, is quite right. But Crouche's reference to how far the ball went is totally irrelevant in this case (it can be in others). No impact in Pedro incident. The two big impacts (as above) for Rice incident, IMO should have canceled each other out meaning managing it would have been a better option here.
If the whistle has gone for a throw what business has a player got kicking the ball 40 yards away? What were they hoping to achieve?

This is my take as well.

I already know where this one is headed!

It's a clear delay the restart. I just hope they there aren't other examples more egregious not dealt with as that is what can cause frustrations.

The kick should be seeing a yellow card for me. Its not brutal/excessive, but he hasn't acted with regard for his opponent there.
Petulance by both. Brighton player clearly knew he would make contact, but not brutal or ‘violent’. But also Rice being a muppet.

Only has himself to blame here. CK did miss the one earlier, perhaps have BotD as was far from the whistle?

Either way, players must learn if you play with fire, you might be burnt!

Having now watched it on MotD I am baffled as to how anyone can think it is wrong or harsh. Rice clearly nudges the ball away, he knew exactly what he was doing.

I do agree. Silly actions from Rice an experienced premier league player. it is petulance.

The kick is the thing that makes this a difficult decision for the average fan to accept (rightly or wrongly). In their eyes, Rice has been booted in the shin and has been sent off, no narrative is going to change that view sadly.

If the whistle has gone for a throw what business has a player got kicking the ball 40 yards away? What were they hoping to achieve?
None. If you read my post, I agreed technically it's yellow but one easily managed without a yellow. It was done in frustration as he did not get to it in time. Or the pass was inaccurate.

"What business does he have" is another one of those that sounds good on a forum 😉. But If you referee the game based on "what business does he have" alone you'd be dishing out a lot of unnecessary yellow cards. Or everytime a player shouts over the top of his lung "f*CK me" because missed a **** or a crucial pass you send the off you have a very high red card count. Context, context, context.

Back