A&H

Refsupport FA Trophy

The Referee Store
For me the the FA and the club are not dealing with him so if I am the next referee with him on the bench for his next game or any game for the next couple of years, absolute no tolerance for dissent. Slightest dissent and he gets his card, and the second if he make any disagreements with my decision.

I am sure he will be quiet for a few games knowing he is in the public eye but can he keep it going? If yes he is welcomed in my game. If no... He gooone.

Neil Warnock. Can't help but notice a degree of similarity
They get away with it on TV (OK, not as bad as the OP), so that's where the seeds of this behaviour are sewn

Neil Warnock. Can't help but notice a degree of similarity
They get away with it on TV (OK, not as bad as the OP), so that's where the seeds of this behaviour are sewn

He literally abuses officials and then the next day is on SKY TV laughing about it. Its seen as "just the way he is". Only in the future will the stories of how bad he was come out no doubt. Ferguson and his "hairdrier" treatment of referees has gone down in folklore. Its glamourtised. In the future it will be seen for what it was.

Klopp and Pep (and man I love Pep!💙) were embarrassing with the way they both screamed at the officials in the last PL game. Any condemnation? Any sanctions? Nope, nothing. Completely accepted behaviour. And when you accept something you enable it. Ive said it before but football enables this behaviour. It actively encourages this behaviour with its inaction. Its genuinely grim how they allow this at the professional levels. I know its a buzz word of mine but it's completely appropriate, but footballs approach to referee abuse is weak. I'd go as far as pathetic. To allow professionals to behave like this in public and to be seen by millions of families around the world is the very opitime of weak. What other industry would do that?

"i'm not here to defend my actions, I can't, BUT.........

ffs, don't say i'm not here to defend my actions, but!!

IMO the statement is every bit as bad as the actual physical event, the scrote needs the book throwing at him if he thinks the way to cure his behaviour is to NOT shake the ref's hand after a game. Shouldn't be allowed to manage people on that display.

He literally abuses officials and then the next day is on SKY TV laughing about it. Its seen as "just the way he is". Only in the future will the stories of how bad he was come out no doubt. Ferguson and his "hairdrier" treatment of referees has gone down in folklore. Its glamourtised. In the future it will be seen for what it was.

Klopp and Pep (and man I love Pep!💙) were embarrassing with the way they both screamed at the officials in the last PL game. Any condemnation? Any sanctions? Nope, nothing. Completely accepted behaviour. And when you accept something you enable it. Ive said it before but football enables this behaviour. It actively encourages this behaviour with its inaction. Its genuinely grim how they allow this at the professional levels. I know its a buzz word of mine but it's completely appropriate, but footballs approach to referee abuse is weak. I'd go as far as pathetic. To allow professionals to behave like this in public and to be seen by millions of families around the world is the very opitime of weak. What other industry would do that?

Trouble is, it's become part of the industry. I've said it before: Top class football is a big-money event, based on a culture of cheating. Sure, we've evolved over the last 50 or so years through the hooliganism aspect which is now largely eradicated, but the culture of football whereby the referee and assistants are reduced to little more than a sort of "pantomime bad guy" figure, able to be booed and hissed (abused) by all and sundry hasn't gone away. If anything, as the money stakes have increased, the abuse has gotten worse.

We now have Goal Line Technology and VAR which theoretically reduce or eliminate the "human error" aspect of it at the very top level, but down here with us proles, it's very much as it always was - one individual (the referee) making decisions to either the detriment or advantage of at least 11 others. Rugby, for instance, (although gradually changing the way of football) has a different set of cultural values which preclude thuggery (except on the field sometimes).

Like I've already said, modern day football, from the top to the bottom, with all it's cheating, histrionics and money-grabbing ethos at the centre of it's core, is little more than a pantomime with the referee cast as the "villain" which in turn encourages that behaviour. Until that changes, nothing will change. Grass roots football attracts thugs and scrotes unlike any other sport.

Just my take on it mind ...

The other issue we have is we have the cards to deal with it, yet many seem to see us as card-happy, unapproachable robots if we dare to use them.

There really should be automatic minimum suspensions for anyone sent off, not just players. Why is it that the Game doesn't want to hold those not competing to the same standard?

They have made a statement today.

So who was the bloke in the shirt'n'tie who also had a pop at the Ref
Was he one of the Committee Members further extending their high standards towards the R?

Not that it's necessarily relevant, but as I've seen some comments on Twitter (and specifically from one of the home team's players) saying that the ref didn't have a good game, as a spectator at the game, as far as I could tell, the ref and the assistants had a decent game. Didn't do much obviously wrong. But it was sort of game where from the players' frequent reactions the officials could easily have gone home thinking they'd got more wrong than they did. And though from the sidelines I obviously couldn't hear everything the ref was saying to players through the game, what I did hear was reasonable, decent, and usually got a good response from the players. He seemed to be managing a tricky game well. Not sure how much support a ref gets in a situation like this (I've never refereed), but I hope he reads this forum.

Not that it's necessarily relevant, but as I've seen some comments on Twitter (and specifically from one of the home team's players) saying that the ref didn't have a good game, as a spectator at the game, as far as I could tell, the ref and the assistants had a decent game. Didn't do much obviously wrong. But it was sort of game where from the players' frequent reactions the officials could easily have gone home thinking they'd got more wrong than they did. And though from the sidelines I obviously couldn't hear everything the ref was saying to players through the game, what I did hear was reasonable, decent, and usually got a good response from the players. He seemed to be managing a tricky game well. Not sure how much support a ref gets in a situation like this (I've never refereed), but I hope he reads this forum.
Yep you see that type of thing in a regular basis. Every decision that goes against the side is met with incredulity that you've given the decision, whether you've got it right or wrong. That's why as a referee you have to be mentally strong and trust your decision making capabilities so as not to cave in to it.

Let's just assume the Ref did inflame things by saying, 'I've got a red card in my pocket'. It's great when we've got the gift of the gab, but even the best communicators will occasionally mutter something they later regret. Everything we do say, is harshly taken down and always used as fodder to beat us with. We all walk the same tightrope two or three times a week, every week

What is said and what is heard are not always the same thing, either.

I had a coach come out to complain at halftime that I was "threatening" his players with yellow cards (of course, he also told me he was experienced referee, acting as if he was trying to impart guidance . . . ). What I actually said to a couple of players who were running toward the ball to stand in front of an opponents free kick was "you know better--are you asking for a caution?" I suppose the coach would have been happier if I just gave them the caution when they got to the ball . . . .

Back