A&H

Refsupport FA Trophy

The Referee Store
While there is no reason for anyone to act that way towards a match official (or anyone else) it would be interesting to hear what lead to this.

While there is no reason for anyone to act that way towards a match official (or anyone else) it would be interesting to hear what lead to this.
If you read the match report there is nothing to suggest any form of major incident. There was a sending off for a second yellow, but sounds like both cards were nailed on.

If you read the match report there is nothing to suggest any form of major incident. There was a sending off for a second yellow, but sounds like both cards were nailed on.
Reads like a fairly straightforward match.

some on Twitter are claiming the ref had a bad game, as if that somehow justifies the managers behaviour.

I’ve never understood reactions like this, they’re always way out of proportion to the incident that sparks it off.

Reads like a fairly straightforward match.

some on Twitter are claiming the ref had a bad game, as if that somehow justifies the managers behaviour.

I’ve never understood reactions like this, they’re always way out of proportion to the incident that sparks it off.

Couldn't find much on Twitter about why the Manager was so angry. There was an Observer in the comments who was concerned that the referee started walking off without his assistants and that "didn't look good". Bizzare!

I did actually ref the other team in a friendly in August. Their management team were as good as they get on that occasion.

That scrotery on display is just that. A scrote being a scrote. It has absolutely nowt to do with football, refereeing, or sport in general.

The bloke was simply behaving as he would in the pub or the High Street.

I hope he ends up in the slammer ... :cool:

Bristol Manor Farm manager Lee Lashenko has apologised and admits he cannot defend his actions towards referee Richard Lawrence in their FA Trophy defeat to Paulton Rovers, but has no intention of resigning.

Lashenko confronted Lawrence at the conclusion of the second round qualifying tie at The Creek in Portway, incensed at having been yellow carded in the second half for dissent and was then promptly shown a red card after the final whistle.

In footage now widely shared across social media and viewed more than 120,000 times, Lashenko repeatedly has to be held back by his players as he angrily gestures and charges towards the official with a list of profanities.
Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey stated on Twitter: “What an absolute disgrace. Football does not need people like thus involved in the game, for the good of football I hope the FA take the strongest of action possible.”

Speaking to Bristol Live, Lashenko – who has been in charge of Manor Farm for eight seasons – accepts he was in the wrong but has also apportioned a degree of blame for the incident towards referee Lawrence.

“I will apologise for heated words – because that’s all it was – there weren’t any actions, there wasn’t anything physical and it wouldn’t ever get to that,” Lashenko said.

“I’m not proud of my 20-second rant but that’s what came out of me at the time and then I disappeared to the changing room.
“It was a provoked reaction and if I’d have gone in (and spoke to the referee) an hour after, instead of straight away, I would have done things differently.

“I’m not proud but it’s something I’ve got to live with and something I’ve got to overcome. I’ll look at my actions and the first person I criticise is myself and I’m going to learn from it and ensure my calmness after a game is a bit more long-term.

“Maybe I shouldn’t shake referee’s hands after a game and, win, lose or draw, I should go straight into the dressing room and see them for a pint in the bar instead. That’s something I’ve got to work on.”

The Manor Farm manager’s gripe appears to be with the original decision to book him for the dissent, with the referee apparently unable to identify where the abuse had originated from, and then the official’s reaction when he approached him at full-time.

“I was booked for a comment midway through the second-half from an area of the ground with a lot of people, all with similar accents, and when the referee booked me he admitted, ‘you’ll have to do, Lee,’" Lashenko added.

“I didn’t know that if there’s a comment made from the dugout or the area of the dugout, if they (referees) believe it’s been made from the dugout then as the manager, as the senior person, you have to carry the can.

“At the end of the game, I went onto the pitch, as I always do, to shake everybody’s hands and I told the referee in no uncertain terms that I’d lost a lot of respect for him, with regards to his performance and the yellow card.

“If he had come over to me when he issued the yellow card and explained, ‘I’ve identified it’s come from your area, I can’t identify who it was so I’m giving you a yellow card’, I would have accepted it because as a manager you take responsibility.

“But after the game I said to him I thought his performance was f****** terrible - I’m no Snow White, just like most people in football - and his response was, ‘I’ve got a red card in my pocket’.

“Now, at that point he should have said, ‘I don’t want to talk to you but you were booked because of a comment in your area and here’s a red card for swearing’, or whatever.

“But to say, ‘I’ve got a red card in my pocket’, I felt he was trying to be above everybody else and that provoked the reaction from me.”

Lashenko claims both he and his 15-year-old son have received abusive text messages since the incident, as well as the general condemnation across social media.

The 44-year-old has no intention of resigning though, as he retains the support of Manor Farm.

“People make more of situations than what they are. People have seen a 50-second video and drawn their own conclusions,” he said.

“I’m going to be receiving a lot of negative publicity, and rightfully so. I’m not here to defend my actions, I can’t, but they were provoked and

So the ref was right, but probably should have explained the caution better. At the end I wonder if he's misread the situation a bit and gone for a bit of banter rather than being curt and diffusing the situation but hardly worthy of three reaction it got.

"admits he cannot defend his actions" - Goes on to defend his actions, including saying it was just "heated words" :poop:

"Now, at that point he should have said, ‘I don’t want to talk to you but you were booked because of a comment in your area and here’s a red card for swearing’, or whatever."- Lesson to be learned for everyone here I think... don't try and do people favours by ignoring dissent or abusive language. Just card them.

I was always taught that if you say sorry and the next word after "sorry" is "but" then you are not really apologising, instead you are trying to justify your actions.

"provoked" reaction my butt.

That's as controversial as I'm allowed to get I think. :(

A few things to note
1) The manager still thinks his actions were defensible (based on what he said to the Media)
2) The fella in the suit needs to be on a disciplinary too
3) See all the kids spectating, learning the 'language of football'?

Clearly trying to play it down and pass it off as a "rant".🙄

Sorry fella, but the mobile phone video clearly shows you having to be physically restrained from attacking the referee.

He should be charged with threatening behaviour and then ditched...

He says he will reflect and the first person he would criticise is himself. Yeap for 5 seconds. Then spend hours criticising the referee.

I can bet my house on this is not the first time he has done it. He would have had plenty chances the reflect in the past and curb that behaviour. Not just when he gets caught out in the public eye.

I would have liked to hear full remorse, no mention of the referee and take full responsibility for actions. That he would like to resign to take some time away from the game to reflect on how he can fix his behaviour (doing a ref course and reffing several games would be a good start). Only then he should be given a second chance.

Having spoken to an ex player of his, its clear he will not be resigning and he won't be sacked. It does highlight the nonsense we have to put up with. Can you imagine what the senior AR had to listen to and deal with during this game too? After this (and other issues they've no doubtfully faced in the past) will these 3 officials still be in the game in 2 years time? To get to that level they are dedicated and have seen it all and are resilient, but in the long term will they eventually just lose the enjoyment out of refereeing and do something else? That's what goes through my head. I'm never going to pack in because of a few idiots but in the long run does the enjoyment ebb away to the point where I don't see the point in doing this anymore? I enjoy my weekends on the whistle but often it feels like something to get through, and if it goes well then is it enjoyment or relief?

My point is that these people (and there are so many although not to this extreme) spoil it for referees and they are never dealt with properly. He will not be leaving that club unless forced and I have major doubts thats will happen.

That's not a surprise. The club have shut up shop on Social Media, blocking anyone who has criticised them and disabling comments on their Twitter account. The manager has come out with his "Sorry, but" interview.

If they were going to get rid of him, they would have done it the moment the video emerged.

It's all about them riding out the storm now.

Back