A&H

RefScorer innovation - device for scoring and recording matches

If there was a small device that easily fit in your hand & scored the match for you would you buy it

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

FootieRefUK

RefStuff - Technology that you can count on
Level 5 Referee
Hi all,
I'm a Level 5 (was 4) Referee from Preston and I've just joined the forum today.

I want to gauge opinion on my unique innovative invention that I have been working on and developing for the last year.
Obviously I can't give too much detail away here but briefly it's a hand held device that can either clip to the lanyard around your wrist, be loose in your pocket AND I'm working on it being housed on or within a whistle (only Fox or ACME though of course - I wouldn't bring out my own when they are the best and world leaders).
The device and product name is the RefScorer - technology that you can count on.
It is a device that scores the game of football for you so that you'll only ever need to go into your pocket for your book again when you're cautioning someone.
I've developed a whole range of items in my brand RefStuff however the RefScorer will be the main product.
I have further versions in development along with alternative designs too and over half a dozen other products in the range too.

So my questions to all you referee's is this...(please feel free to answer some or all of them or just give me general comments or feedback, thanks!)

Questions:

1. when you are refereeing and the match has a lot of goals, what is the trickiest/most annoying thing about recording the score? (think about all weather situations)

2. do you think there is or could be an easier way of keeping score?

3. If you had a small device that fit onto your whistle, cuff or in the palm of your hand to score the game accurately, would you be interested in purchasing it and adding it to your refs kit? (therefore you'd only ever go into your pocket for your book to caution and dismiss a player)

4. How much would you be prepared to pay for it?

5. Tell me why you would not buy it?

6. Tell me what's wrong with this idea?

7. If it was available in the shops now would you buy one or more?

Thanks everyone and I'll look forward to receiving your feedback.

The Referee Store
1. I can't count past 3.
2. Abacus
3. I'd consider it if it was as a watch device.
4. Not a lot
5. Paper costs me nothing
6. It's creating a problem that isn't there for me
7. Why would I need more than 1?

Hi,

It sounds like you are describing this made by Spintso:

http://www.spintso.se/en/pda/pda__1583

Personally I wouldn't buy one. To me, in the clips provided by Spintso of the device in use during the game, it just looks like the referee is on his phone halfway through the game!

Sadly footierefuk, it just doesn't sound like something that I feel would benefit me any more than just writing the scores down on a match card as they go in.

Even in bad weather recording goals has never been an issue.

I looked at the Spintso device and my initial reaction was to get one but then it dawned on me that it's unnecessary.
  1. The key thing about keeping score is remembering to do so after a goal has been scored. There's a plethora of devices available to enable that.
  2. Pencil and paper - alternative writing devices and writing materials are available.
  3. I like my whistle as it is plus, I have a number of different whistles for different situations.
  4. I wouldn't be buying, sorry.
  5. It's not a cost effective solution.
  6. There's no wrong with the idea and don't be disheartened by my response. Keep being creative and innovate. Maybe there's a solution out there you can develop.
  7. No, reasons as above.
As I say keep being creative, it is usually the simple things that are the best.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be interested in something like this as in the majority of the games I am involved in, I am required to submit the goal scorer and time for each goal.

I would be interested to hear what other types of things you are working on!

Thank you all for your feedback and comments so far.
I can confirm that it is not electrical or similar to the spintso thing, however we are working on incorporating into a RefSWatch too.
Apart from this I can't say much more really for legal reasons, but please welcome more comments...

I assume that you have the appropriate release documents for the images on your site.

Like the TM, does what it says on the tin.

whats to stop you have one of those little clickers that bouncers use in nightclubs for head count? one for away team one for home?

Graduate, referee, that's to imply that he'd be able to understand and possible inerpret LOAF.

we are told numerous time a week that we are unable to do this, no matter how much we study.

Pfft, what next - a pundit agreeing with a ref.........

Back