A&H

Refs in trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I chew on gum during a game as does Michael Oliver.

Looks like the player took a sore one

Used to wear astros on solid turf (summer etc.)

Much better for knees and lower blister risk

I wear trail running shoes almost all the time. Here in Southern California, grass fields pretty much close if it rains to protect the fields, so I almost never ref on a wet grass field- often very dry, hard grass fields, for which trail running shoes are perfect. Trail running shoes matter because they have side-to-side support that regular running shoes don’t.

I also wear black Hokas as nearly all games on astro - and in the wet. I only change if muddy grass, rare here. I wear them because of the front to back “early rocker” that takes pressure off the metatarsal pad - yes, I drunk the cool aid, but they work to the point I now have three pairs of Clifton wides - and my nasty metatarsalalgia is gone.

Used to wear astros on solid turf (summer etc.)

Much better for knees and lower blister risk
I wear astros all year round - much much better for blisters, etc for me (Still need to do the old double-sock and band-aid on achilles combo though)

Much lower chance of him getting knocked unconscious in the first place if he wraps his living room in bubble wrap and never leaves it to referee this match.

Risk isn't a binary situation where you're either at risk or you're not, it's all about actions that result in fractionally more or fractionally less risk. By the time you've chosen to leave your home, drive to the ground and subject yourself to 90 minutes of the possibility of a ball hitting you in this way, adding a piece of gum is a minimal increase to the overall situational risk.

Had he been knocked unconscious it would be a choking risk?
That is extremely unlikely, there are lots of medical studies on sports people chewing gum. They don't advocate it for children but for adults it is an extremely low risk.

Chewing gum always has and always will look absolutely awful.
But golden boy does it so many will copy.

Ridleys Extra..... every game for me. Almost as important as remembering my whistle. Couldn't give a monkeys what some might think, avoiding a dry mouth helps with communication (for me personally)

A lot of the astros I play on are strictly no gum. One of my locals even has a no spitting rule.

I don't chew gum, never have done in my whole life, but I'm struggling to see how it is unprofessional or looks awful.

And they enforce that how exactly?
They have a lovely gentleman who sits at the side of the pitch most days, he scrutinises anyone who has the wrong or unclean boots. He is disabled and so he does this as his full time employment. I've never tried him on for chewing gum, but I reckon he would spot it. Great bloke, takes his job seriously.

But spitting, I imagine that one is a bit more hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back