A&H

Refereeing when injured or ill

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
I've had a bout of the dreaded man flu over the last day or two. I've got a game tomorrow and Sunday
Just made me think about the pressures of not pulling out games. We're so concerned about reliability, I'm betting most of us would referee games when we shouldn't
We're caught between two evils, sub-optimal refereeing, or a black mark

The Referee Store
I usually leave that to my appointment office. That is only if I am in any sort of shape to referee at all. I'm sick. I can go but I can't give it my best. Your choice.

I've had a bout of the dreaded man flu over the last day or two. I've got a game tomorrow and Sunday
Just made me think about the pressures of not pulling out games. We're so concerned about reliability, I'm betting most of us would referee games when we shouldn't
We're caught between two evils, sub-optimal refereeing, or a black mark

1. Search your soul.

2. Let all know on the (match) day that you're not in the best of health (but still opted not to cry off).

3. Man up.

Sturdy and masculine of Somerset. :D:cool:

Fortunately, I'm an athlete with a depth of physiological reserve to call upon 🏃‍♂️ and naturally as hard as nails 👊
None of my Appointments People are particularly known for their communication skills. I get the impression that even the slightest bit friction with any of them would be detrimental

None of my Appointments People are particularly known for their communication skills. I get the impression that even the slightest bit friction with any of them would be detrimental

Quite sad to hear .... :(

I've always found 'my' appointments people more than supportive. I'm currently 'off games' due to a recent hospital visit.

Back after 17th Feb (with 3 games that week!) and the appointments officers couldn't have been nicer about my absence!

I've certainly reffed / lines when I shouldn't have and this has adversely impacted assessments. On one occasion (was injured and it was clearly affecting my movement / fitness), didn't end up reffing again for three months after it!

I hate letting people down (which is why I've only been off work once in 9 years) which ironically can lead to you letting your colleagues and the teams down by turning up unfit.

The learning point has to be, if you know you're struggling, don't put it on anyone else to make the decision for you, come off the game. They will understand.

Timing is the difficult thing - most appt officers (obviously) want as much notice as possible, conversely most of us want to do a game if we can so want to leave the decision to as late as possible - its always a difficult decision.
Exactly this. Last match I called off was a Sunday morning match and I made the decision to call sick on the Saturday - I'd had the Thursday & Friday off work and hadn't gotten much better when I woke up on Saturday so I called it. Of course, woke up on Sunday feeling much better, but still think I did the right thing by putting in 24 hours notice

Rather play it safe and call off if need be. Health > whatever reputation.

Like, this weekend I'm out because I've stupidly done my back in. So, I'm not going to take the risk of doing more damage on muddy pitches.

I don't think it would affect your reliability reputation unless you're taking the mick and calling off every other weekend.

Back