Referee push, yellow card

What card?

• Red

• Yellow

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Just to stimulate debate... if that was a player on player it's an easy yellow card. Heck, some referees might even "manage" it and not card. So why does it automatically become a red card when it is a referee?

Just to stimulate debate... if that was a player on player it's an easy yellow card. Heck, some referees might even "manage" it and not card. So why does it automatically become a red card when it is a referee?
Because the referee is not a player.
extra measures need to be taken to protect the position of authority - the one who volunteers to put themselves at risk by upsetting everyone.
And the players get involved in physical aggression with each other. The referee certainly doesn't.
different standards apply because they're different roles.

I’m genuinely surprised that has to be questioned

Because the referee is not a player.
extra measures need to be taken to protect the position of authority - the one who volunteers to put themselves at risk by upsetting everyone.
And the players get involved in physical aggression with each other. The referee certainly doesn't.
different standards apply because they're different roles.
Dont disagree with you captain... but is that view supported in lotg anywhere?

Dont disagree with you captain... but is that view supported in lotg anywhere?

Although I get your cross comparison between players and referees but in terms of this conversation, a better question may be why isn’t this player receiving a red rather than a yellow? When is a push not considered violent conduct?

Should that power be less than red in all similar cases then god help us all!!! We may need him!!!

Yellow
Chance ref takes if you go in to be proactive.
As above, its a yellow player on player.
What you sending off for? Violent? Not a chance

Am sorry but nobody is going to sell that Memphis push to me as violent
Common place for ref to push a player like that say, jumping in to defuse two guys about to go at it
Saw the young French ref shove a player harder in the Beershaven game the other night, and we all stood up and appluaded the Argentine ref at the WC for using a bit of force to fend off a dissenter
Collina himself preaches this kind of action, when the occasion is right of course
Violent? If thats an act of violence then Sauchiehall St is scarier than I thought

As it was a quite gentle push, unharmful for the referee, I doubt a red card would be the perfect fit in this situation. If it were a harder push (eg. ref hitting the ground hard), straight red without doubt. Conclusion: yellow in this situation.

Am sorry but nobody is going to sell that Memphis push to me as violent
Common place for ref to push a player like that say, jumping in to defuse two guys about to go at it
Saw the young French ref shove a player harder in the Beershaven game the other night, and we all stood up and appluaded the Argentine ref at the WC for using a bit of force to fend off a dissenter
Collina himself preaches this kind of action, when the occasion is right of course
Violent? If thats an act of violence then Sauchiehall St is scarier than I thought
I watched an England at Wembley game on TV on Sauchihall Street in a packed Sports Bar, Scotland were playing Germany away same day I think. England scored and Scotland conceded in about the same minute. I expected a riot but about half the pub jumped up supporting England. Suddenly from feeling like I was a lonely man in the Lions lair, I felt like I was with a band of English workmen brothers doing the same as me!!

There is no violence at all, a gentle push.

Whilst I abhor any player touching a referee, I always give a yellow to any player that lays hands on me during a game. Never had to resort to red for violence though. Memphis' action was not violent. Any push in the back may well get a red though, as it is unexpected and may feel violent, and also a cowardly action by the player!

There is no violence at all, a gentle push.

Whilst I abhor any player touching a referee, I always give a yellow to any player that lays hands on me during a game. Never had to resort to red for violence though. Memphis' action was not violent. Any push in the back may well get a red though, as it is unexpected and may feel violent, and also a cowardly action by the player!

100% agree with the above. All this "thou must not touch a referee" is maybe an ideal but its simply not correct to show a red card to anybody who lays a finger on you.
It was an act of aggression, at very worst. I would support a ref dealing with that without a card in the right circumstances, but I would really expect and really support a yellow card.
A red is far fetched, of course if it happens to you on council pitch 19 and you are already in a bad mood then you can manipulate a red card out of that.
in the example shown in the clip, for me, a yellow card is the correct course of action.

As it was a quite gentle push, unharmful for the referee, I doubt a red card would be the perfect fit in this situation. If it were a harder push (eg. ref hitting the ground hard), straight red without doubt. Conclusion: yellow in this situation.

Why is it being harmful a factor? Surely the punishment is based on the action than the result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back