A&H

Referee-Inactive - Training 4.17

Accident waiting to happen ...

Since tearing my hamstring about 4 years ago as I tried to go through a sprint session keeping up with the lads who made up the County FA's School of Excellence, I've worn undershorts to support both hamstrings. They have been successful to some extent but I have still no confidence in sprinting and therefore never get above 75% of full pace.

As I've retired from refereeing my last pair of undershorts, Helly Hansen's, have lasted longer than usual. Tonight however I found they have a hole which whill only get bigger, so it's time to buy some new ones. My other "accident" involves a bad choice of lunch and it did some terrible things to my digestive system. I don't think I'll be having prawn and mayonnaise sandwiches again!

On to tonight's session ... with Neil on a mid shift, it was down to Paul and I to get through the session before the rain started. After our warm ups we agreed that we would run diagonally from corner to corner across the field and walk along the goal line before running the other diagonal and walking back to our start point.

This was the exercise that strained my Achilles 3 weeks ago so it was a risk to repeat it so soon. I must admit, I did have a nagging ache from the second run onwards but by flattening my foot I managed it. We did 3 sets of four cycles, with each cycle consisting of 2 diagonals and 2 goal lines. The diagonals were all taking around the same time between 24 and 27 seconds all the way through but the rests seemed to be taking longer (oops!). We did only take a rest of around 3 minutes between each set though.

This was a longer session than the one on June 27, totalling 24 diagonals and I really felt it towards the end. We got through nevertheless, although my stomach was doing flip flops after the 1st set. So as we enter the last 20 sessions before my holiday, I'm reasonably happy with my progress but I need my weight loss to accelerate!!!

Calories 939, average heart rate 78%

1430959096615306100-5970785062700494517

The Referee Store
Back