A&H

Referee-Inactive - Training 4.16

If it looks like handball ...

With Neil celebrating his birthday and Paul celebrating his wife's birthday it was another evening of running around the field on my own. I just concentrated on keeping picking up my feet and setting them down and worked pretty hard.

Last night's promotion seminar went well with a lot of interaction and discussion on the subject of handball. I used a PowerPoint introduction and summary and in between ran a few clips of handball incidents. It was good that our new RDO sat in on part of the presentation and was able to offer his own input on some of the incidents.

In the end the candidates seemed to accept that often it's down to the referee's positioning and his opinion to decide whether an offence has been committed. Most of the candidates from my 6-5 session and 7-6 session next door successfully completed the examination. Some will have to try again and hope to be added to the list of those needing assessing during the forthcoming marking season.

Back to tonight's training, I fell back on the fact that I need to burn off some more fat before my holiday (less than 8 weeks to go). I therefore did my warm up before launching off on a 12 minute run. It wasn't a fast pace as I was experimenting with different breathing patterns. I walked back to my start position, took on some water and then set off on another 12 minute run just 4 minutes after finishing my run.

My first run was in an anti clockwise direction so I turned around and did the second in a clockwise direction. The benefit being that the uphill part is shorter and steeper and the downhill part is longer and more shallow. I did around the same distance as the first run and walked back again for some water, but this time my rest period was 4 and half minutes.

The last 12 minute run was anti clockwise, very tough and I managed around 75m less than my first run. In fact I was almost out on my feet when I finished. I walked back to the start point, finished my water and did my warm down. Half way through a large black dog appeared and with a dog's sense of humour, decided he would try and knock me over by running into me. I steadied myself and shouted No at him and he scarpered back to his owner. It helps that I grew up around Staffordshire Bull Terriers and have a Weimaraner ... it's always good to know a bit of dog psychology when dealing with those two breeds :eek:)

Back out again on Monday! Calories 1071, average heart rate 81%

1430959096615306100-9164661876809986662

The Referee Store
Back