A&H

Referee Inactive - Sometimes one just ain't enough

I turned out this morning to assess a promotion candidate recently accepted on to the County accelerated programme, meaning he is being given the opportunity to progress from Level 7 to Level 5 in one marking season.

He has some exacting criteria to fulfil but if he completes them all, then he may well be eligible to be considered for the County Fitness Test and possibly nomination for Level 4. That however is a long way from today when he lost his coin during his warm up. That set me thinking, when we take to the field, why do we need so many of everything?

When tutoring new referees I run through the checklist of equipment every referee needs when stepping out on to the field to referee a game.

S/he needs ...
  • Two whistles - in case one stops working, gets dropped or sounds the same as the referee on the next field. There's nothing much more disruptive than the players stopping on your field for the referee blowing his whistle on the next field
  • Two watches - in case one stops working or as I once did, you forget to restart one after a stoppage and you end up playing 15 minutes added time in the second half
  • A notebook or wallet - in this you should have written the names of all players likely to take part in the game, which can aid your caution/dismissal procedure OR at least the names of all substitutes ... including those who may still be on their way to the ground (always check with the manager when taking the teamsheet). If they aren't on the teamsheet, they aren't joining the game
  • A coin - preferably one of little value, but mine has sentimental value as my son bought it for me, but one you won't mind losing. When doing the coin toss, ask the captain to catch the coin and if they drop it, ask them to pick it up. This avoids you reducing your awareness of players as you pick the coin up and also the comments which might be made, if the players have no respect for you
  • Two pencils/pens - again in case one stops working or you drop it. A pen can be more effective if you are refereeing in the rain
  • Two cards - one yellow and one red. Personally I carry two of each in case one gets lost or is taken off me by a player
  • Two flags - competition rules may require the clubs to provide their own, but better to be prepared than have a club assistant waving a handkerchief

The other two things that a referee needs is a sense of humour and confidence. Often the first can be used to deflect criticism with a quick retort and the second is needed every time you make a decision. A sense of humour tends to be developed as you progress through the lower levels of football and confidence comes with experience. Preparation helps breed confidence so prepare well, perform well.
1430959096615306100-5711118410604917759

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back