A&H

Referee Inactive - Here comes the ball

Last Sunday I very rashly said I'd start a series of articles about the set plays which occur in open play, if that makes sense. I made the point that although we look after a series of set plays such as corner kicks, goal kicks and free kicks, the other situations which occur can also be treated as set plays. By treating them in this way, we can break down what we, as referees, can do to ensure we can apply law correctly and in the context of the game. I also said that I consider these situations during the week using the technique of mental rehearsal by visualisation.

I break each scenario down so I can answer 4 questions
  • Where is the ball?
  • Where are the players?
  • What infringements may occur or may have just occurred?
  • If an infringement has occurred, what action should I take ... if any?
So let's look at the first situation and depending on how I feel this one has gone, I'll do another next week. So here comes the ball ... the most frequent occurrence in a game ... the ball is passed by one player to another.

The Ball
It can be on the ground or in the air but does it matter? I ask this question because often, even when at a Supply League game, I see referees following the ball through the air. I'm not sure why as it will never ever make a challenge, push an opponent, kick an opponent or head butt an opponent ... all of which might happen while you're watching the ball fly through the air. So watch the ball leave the player passing it and watch it arrive at the player receiving it, but in between times, concentrate on the players.

The Players
Once the ball has been played I need to gauge where the players are and what they are doing. It's unlikely that I can see that from where I am, so I need to move. I need to move so I can see the ball brought under control. I need to move so I can see any challenge which might be made. I need to move to maximise the effectiveness of my proximity to play and retain credibility.

Infringements
The first infringement I have to think about it how the ball was played by the player making the pass. If he played it with his head or anywhere from the knee down, I'm happy. If he has played it with anything between his knee and his neck, then I had to be aware of the possibility of a claim for handball from his opponents. So that goes back to where the players are when the pass is made. Often a claim comes from someone who has a bad or long distance view of the contact, so if it's loud enough and I disagree I need to sell the denial. Sometimes a loud shout of "No!" is enough but other times, I need to "cut the grass" with an outward sweep of both arms and depending on how loud the appeal was, I might need to hold that position for a second or two (always being aware that it could take me off balance).

So I'm happy the ball has been played legally, but as it moves away I need to be aware of a late challenge by an opponent. This is the time when the ball is in the air or travelling along the grass. I keep my eye on the player who has passed the ball for a second or two before switching to the new situation ... the ball arriving.

The ball arriving is similar to the ball departing in that I need to see how the ball is controlled by the player receiving it. I check on the point of contact before deciding whether I need to sell a decision not to give a free kick for handball. Just as I did with the ball leaving I need to be aware of the possibility of a challenge by an opponent. That challenge might be aerial or on the grass, either way I need to have an angled view of the contact between the players which means moving around play to look through the challenge from the side towards the touchline, rather than towards the goal line.

Action required
I've already mentioned the "cutting the grass" to deny any appeals for handball, but that's when there has been no offence. So what do I do if there has been an offence. The first infringement would have been handball, so delay a second to see if the ball falls to an opponent and I can play advantage. If it does then out go the arms and a loud shout of "Play on - advantage". In one game about 4 years ago, I did that twice in a game after a handball claim and on both occasions, the team taking the advantage scored a goal!

If there is no advantage to be played, then a short blast on the whistle and once I'm happy the ball is in the right position, signal the restart. My signal will depend on the placing of the ball. If there's a possibility of a shot on goal or a cross into the penalty area, then I'll signal with the whistle, otherwise it might just be a shout or a beckoning arm signal.

If the offence is a late challenge, then again I look for the advantage but and it's a very big but, if I'm going to sanction the challenge with a caution or a dismissal, then I'm not playing advantage 99 times out of 100. The whistle to stop play will be blown harder and for longer and I'm also going to be moving towards the scene of the incident to discourage any retribution from team mates of the player offended against.

With the arriving ball, again if it's handball, then I'm on a quick, sharp blast or looking for advantage. The adjudging of the challenge comes in a number of forms, holding by either player, a kick/trip when trying to play the ball, pushing and I'll try to cover those in later blogs.

The thing is that once the player has taken control of the ball, we're the first step in this sequence. It's probably taken you a few minutes to read this far and yet as a referee, we have to run through the sequence of adjudging the pass and receipt of the ball hundreds of times a game. It's no wonder we are mentally as well as physically tired at the end of a game.

So now you see why it's important to go through the process of mental rehearsal, because by exercising the mind, it's similar to exercising the muscles, they need that work-out to be ready for game day and on the day, mentally warm up by thinking through a few scenarios.

Next time, I'm going to look at the challenge on the grass. All those two footed, off the ground, ball played. got the ball ref challenges we see every game.
1430959096615306100-5782441205785226719

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back