A&H

Referee boycott of friendlies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deusex

RefChat Addict
If every referee in the country refused to referee pre season friendlies the players could all have a few matches seeing what happens with no qualified, neutral ref turns up.
I hate refereeing friendles anyway (players think anything goes).

Back in reality, I wonder how bad player behaviour would have to get to force a strike?
A referee assault doesn't seem to trigger even a league wide strike!
I remember a few years back a local league striking after an assault, the statement from county seemed more concerned with covering the uncovered matches!!!!

The Referee Store
We had 2 or 3 strikes this season in various regions of France

But you know, it is France
You French guys are like matches...
always striking! Sorry rubbish joke...
That said, you probably have the right idea. Shizzle don't change until shizzle gets real. :D ooo gone all valleys gangsta!!

I would never strike.... striking is weak.

I think all strikes in a work place are wrong and the same applies to this.... IMO.

Personally I love a friendly... players don't get away with more.... as long as you apply yourself as you should in any match...

Years ago my association once threatened to boycott all competition matches over a highly inadequate referee assault sentence (this was voted on and supported by the members). In a match where I was pushed and the player got off scot free, we simply refused to appoint any referees to that team, even if they got into the finals.

I'm happy with friendlies but I do like to check that both teams are affiliated to a County FA for the current season. There was a period a year or two back when both had to obtain permission from the CFA for the game to take place but I think that has been relaxed. I wouldn't touch an unaffiliated team with a barge pole. Otherwise, ref the game to the best of your ability.
Boycotting games is not for me (too many memories of the 70s and the 80s) but surely, referees should consider a "work to rule" or in our case, a "work to law" policy?

I was taught at my referee course(way back) that friendlies are to be treated no differently than sanctioned matches.... to that end i treat all friendly matches the same way as a league match i inform both managers of this and all YC/RC will be reported.
The company i used to work for had a Sunday League team,and the manager was my shift boss, he asked if i would referee a pre- season friendly for him to which i said yes.But then i told him any cards i show will be reported.He was not happy about this as it was only a "friendly"
So i point blank refused to referee the match for him....... And guess who was appointed to referee his first league match of the season?
Yep ! yours truly and they lost 4-1 and had 3 YC's............

I think all strikes in a work place are wrong and the same applies to this.... IMO.

What a ridiculous blanket statement.
Striking for a 10% pay increase is one thing, but striking for safer working conditions? weak?

What is wrong with groups of workers standing up for their rights and bargaining over terms and conditions? It actually shows strength in the conviction to stand up to try to change something perceived to be wrong and push for an improvement in the workplace.

What a ridiculous blanket statement.
Striking for a 10% pay increase is one thing, but striking for safer working conditions? weak?
Not ridiculous at all pal....... thanks for that. .... I'm sure I'm entitled to an opinion.... hence 'IMO' at the end of my statement....

Thanks for yours though...

What is wrong with groups of workers standing up for their rights and bargaining over terms and conditions? It actually shows strength in the conviction to stand up to try to change something perceived to be wrong and push for an improvement in the workplace.

Mate.... I've no problem with your opinion. I just have a different one.

Lets try and keep this to refereeing rather than debating work place strikes.... my apologies for mentioning them....

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Never do friendlies.
A couple of years back, clear DOGSO, red card, it erupts "It's a friendly ref!!!". Sent another off for calling me an "f'...ing Nazi".
Didn't get paid....

Not ridiculous at all pal....... thanks for that. .... I'm sure I'm entitled to an opinion.... hence 'IMO' at the end of my statement....

Thanks for yours though...

Mate.... I've no problem with your opinion. I just have a different one.

Lets try and keep this to refereeing rather than debating work place strikes.... my apologies for mentioning them....

Cheers

You made a comment which invited response. You reaped what you sowed right there. :)

That said, let's not turn on each other. Keep it constructive.

I always make sure i get paid before the kick off that way any problems that ensue, i have already got my money. Just this season gone i had to abandon a match,luckily i got paid before kick off as the chaos that ensued (both managers and players going for it) i probably wouldn't have.

How do you guys get appointed to friendly games ? Is it the same organisation that takes care of you during the "official" season ?

I always make sure i get paid before the kick off that way any problems that ensue, i have already got my money. Just this season gone i had to abandon a match,luckily i got paid before kick off as the chaos that ensued (both managers and players going for it) i probably wouldn't have.

Lots of competition rules state that payment must be made after the match. If you insist getting your money before the match in such leagues, the club is allowed to respectfully decline.

If the situation arises and you are not paid, just contact your County FA who will send an invoice to the club. Be advised though, this certainly isn't a quick process!

Not yet had a problem collecting my fee before match, but if they had not the money available i wouldnt have a problem at full time

How do you guys get appointed to friendly games ? Is it the same organisation that takes care of you during the "official" season ?
At grass roots level, i.e. not professional, usually it's a phone call from the club or from another referee who has been asked to do the game but isn't available. In the semi-professional game, clubs will often contact a local referee or a referee from the panel who look after their league games. It was possible many years ago to get appointed to games involving professional teams, for example I have been involved in games where Sunderland, Manchester City and Grimsby Town (when they were in the Football League) but The FA restricted these games. The match officials must operate at that of the highest ranked team.

The match officials must operate at that of the highest ranked team.
I thought the referee could be of the level of the lower ranked team, for example in a contrib v supply friendly a level 4 could could do the game?? At least that's what happened last season when I lined such a game

You made a comment which invited response. You reaped what you sowed right there. :)

That said, let's not turn on each other. Keep it constructive.
I was being constructive...... his.. and yours made it otherwise. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back