A&H

Ref forgets coin in WSL, gets players to play rock paper scissors.

It’s harsh and personally I would assume there are some politics involved here.
What evidence are you basing that assumption on? As RR has pointed out (twice now) this is the absolutely normal, standard punishment for such a failure to apply the Laws.

The Referee Store
Just touching on some of the above, mildly amusing when doing a womens game to hear shouts of "man on"..

I do use "guys" in a womens game as I do in a male game though, just through habit, I think guys covers "people", which is strange as you can "see that guy over there" and its a male you are referring too, but, a group of people of both or either gender can be referred to as "guys"

"ladies keep the hands down" would probably be the best shout at a corner, but I hope guys covers it too!

I see Keith Hackett and the BBC focussing on the ref ban story now and indeed they offer another angle not already listed on this forum I don't think....

Yes, you may indeed need a "coin" in the LOTG for the toss.....

But nowhere do the LOTG say the ref needs to provide it !!

My god. 21 games for not bringing his coin? Yes for sure it is an error but who really cares in the long run. I do not have any background on this ref or this league but I mean come on! 21 games? Best of luck bringing this referee back at the level he was at before this incident. It would take a very strong individual to bounce back from this and I have faith. What I see in the whole entire scheme of things, is that the game has gotten much more intense, much more physical and everyone demands a referee to be able to control all of this.

The US is losing referees left and right and I have been expressing this for two years now. Hats off to the ref I say that are still here.

Also, please let me know what is your UK official ref website if you have one. We have USSOCCER.COM which is totally not user-friendly for the referee. It is a piece of ****. There I said it. FIre me. It is really is a piece of ****.

Mahalo

My god. 21 games for not bringing his coin? Yes for sure it is an error but who really cares in the long run. I do not have any background on this ref or this league but I mean come on! 21 games? Best of luck bringing this referee back at the level he was at before this incident. It would take a very strong individual to bounce back from this and I have faith. What I see in the whole entire scheme of things, is that the game has gotten much more intense, much more physical and everyone demands a referee to be able to control all of this.

The US is losing referees left and right and I have been expressing this for two years now. Hats off to the ref I say that are still here.

Also, please let me know what is your UK official ref website if you have one. We have USSOCCER.COM which is totally not user-friendly for the referee. It is a piece of ****. There I said it. FIre me. It is really is a piece of ****.

Mahalo

Slight geographical oversight am afraid, different nations make up the UK

Not that its a touchy point for a lot of folk!!

Mahalo
21 days IR. He'll be back for Christmas :)

It’s ironic that any women’s game was banned for 50 years by our all knowing FA and now there getting sanctimonious about something as petty as this. This old guard fuddy duddies need to be spring cleaned out and the game modernized...

Just touching on some of the above, mildly amusing when doing a womens game to hear shouts of "man on"..

I do use "guys" in a womens game as I do in a male game though, just through habit, I think guys covers "people", which is strange as you can "see that guy over there" and its a male you are referring too, but, a group of people of both or either gender can be referred to as "guys"

"ladies keep the hands down" would probably be the best shout at a corner, but I hope guys covers it too!

I watched my sister play back along and the referee called another player ‘love’. Thankful nobody reacted but I was cringing from the sideline

I watched my sister play back along and the referee called another player ‘love’. Thankful nobody reacted but I was cringing from the sideline

I get that, its actually awkward in the heat of the moment, I have naturally went "your fine there hen" (which is a Glasgow word for female) and say, a throw for example then inside me am like no, thats not proper !!

Likewise with guys, am prone to say "pal" a lot, not because they are my pal but because that's our everyday word for, a random guy.

Next thing you know they would be suspending shef for having his shirt tucked out.

Suspension wouldn't be enough. :cool:

I'd like to see lifetime bans handed out for such slovenly behaviour. :D

Bet he licks his table-knife and talks with his mouth full up there as well. .... :rolleyes:

Shocking. :angel:

Reactions: one
For a live TV game the referee is usually 2A or 2B with the assistants L3 and 4th man 2B or 3.

Thanks,

So in terms of the women's game being treated the same as the mens in terms of level of official that sounds about right. Not sure that there is anything in a top flight women's match that an experienced conference national or conference north/south referee would be able to handle.

What level would a referee need to be to be either in the middle or an assistant on the WSL?

I’m a L4 and have been an assistant on a WSL cup match between a WSL premier team and a Championship side. Ref was a L3. 4th official was a late appointment and I believe was a (very experienced) L5.

The ref could have done rock, paper, scissors a la Brexit and made it a best of 3 haha

According to one article the referee accepted the charge, which I assumed would have been the case as there hasn't really been enough time for a hearing. Every L3 and above knows that if they accept a charge like this, or are found guilty of it, you are highly likely to get 21 days.

He also appears to be laughing it off, as per this article. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ck-paper-scissors-ban-hes-presented-coin.html

Also, to clarify (yet again) he wasn't suspended for not having a coin, so the argument that a coin is not a required piece of equipment is barking up the wrong tree. Law does however say that a coin is tossed to decide who chooses which end. Assuming neither assistant had a coin, had he gone to his 4th official to get one, or even to someone in the technical areas or a member of the TV Floor Crew, that would have taken just a few seconds and he wouldn't have got himself into this mess. Referees often jog over before kick off to hand the coin to the 4th official, and it wouldn't have taken any longer than that.

According to one article the referee accepted the charge, which I assumed would have been the case as there hasn't really been enough time for a hearing. Every L3 and above knows that if they accept a charge like this, or are found guilty of it, you are highly likely to get 21 days.

He also appears to be laughing it off, as per this article. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ck-paper-scissors-ban-hes-presented-coin.html

Also, to clarify (yet again) he wasn't suspended for not having a coin, so the argument that a coin is not a required piece of equipment is barking up the wrong tree. Law does however say that a coin is tossed to decide who chooses which end. Assuming neither assistant had a coin, had he gone to his 4th official to get one, or even to someone in the technical areas or a member of the TV Floor Crew, that would have taken just a few seconds and he wouldn't have got himself into this mess. Referees often jog over before kick off to hand the coin to the 4th official, and it wouldn't have taken any longer than that.

I do the coin toss in presence of ARs and I instruct them to carry everything they would require if they were referee
So, I like to think I would have had 2 back up coins, before approaching the 4th

Reactions: JH
Applying the 'spirit of the game' to all involved, including the referee, a suspension for not starting the game with a coin toss just seems ridiculous. There are no on field consequences to his actions and it's a self defeating suspension as this has had a very negative response across the footballing community.

Applying the 'spirit of the game' to all involved, including the referee, a suspension for not starting the game with a coin toss just seems ridiculous. There are no on field consequences to his actions and it's a self defeating suspension as this has had a very negative response across the footballing community.
I disagree somewhat.

When you consider that he has been charged for not acting in the best interests of the game. There is a really big focus from all involved within the womens game to bring parity with the mens game.. and at the very least increase participation in the womens game including viewership. Fact is the perception is you wouldnt see that in the mens game and this therefore means it goes against everything that the womens game is trying to achieve.

Do I agree with the suspension? No, its pretty harsh and your points are absolutely valid.

Can I argue with the charge taking into consideration the other factors? Again, no i cant, it fits the crime almost perfectly.

It seems the referee is not helping himself..being pictured in news outlets, beaming, whilst being presented with a coin.

Back