A&H

Ref blocks a shot!

The Referee Store
i dont think he does much wrong (the ref), hee just gets very unlucky

i've no issue with him being in the area there, he gets into a very good position for a potential dogso then the striker hits the post when it seems easier to score

he tries to get out the way but unfortunately he cant

possibly the only thing i could say is that he could do with explaining the restart and apologising rather then being pretty aloof and gesturing for the ball.

Really? Possible DOGSO with keeper happens when ref is still 10 yards outside area. After that, defender is not very close to attacker and (as you say) attacker is about to put ball into the unguarded net... why does the ref then continue his run into the area?

Yeah, mistake here is assuming it was going in and continuing a straight run. Better practice would have been to bend the run towards the back post regardless and keep play between him and the AR, no need to be that close.

Yeah, mistake here is assuming it was going in and continuing a straight run. Better practice would have been to bend the run towards the back post regardless and keep play between him and the AR, no need to be that close.

Agree--there's no reason to cross the face of the goal like that with the ball in play. I don't have a problem with him going into the PA, but when we do we need to be more thoughtful and aware than this. (He also botched the re-start, which should have been a GK, not a DB, but I can imagine its hard to think as clearly when embarrassed by what just happened. . . .)

I bet the first blue player to shoot (and hit the post) wished the referee had been in the way of his shot so he had an excuse for such a horrendous miss.

Agree--there's no reason to cross the face of the goal like that with the ball in play. I don't have a problem with him going into the PA, but when we do we need to be more thoughtful and aware than this. (He also botched the re-start, which should have been a GK, not a DB, but I can imagine its hard to think as clearly when embarrassed by what just happened. . . .)
Can you explain how it's a goal kick and not a drop ball to the GK. I can't find anything in the LOTG. Surely because possession of the ball has changed & it's inside the penalty area it's a drop ball to the GK?

Can you explain how it's a goal kick and not a drop ball to the GK. I can't find anything in the LOTG. Surely because possession of the ball has changed & it's inside the penalty area it's a drop ball to the GK?
law 9. (well spotted @Degnann, just checking folk are awake ;))
The ball has to remain on the field of play and change possession for a dropped ball. The ball goes out of play here so a GK is the correct restart.

Last edited:
law 8.
The ball has to remain on the field of play and change possession for a dropped ball. The ball goes out of play here so a GK is the correct restart.
Couldn’t see anything in law 8. Law 9 does specify staying in play however. Wasn’t aware of that myself, assumed this would be a dropped ball

What if..........the ball went in after little deflection from ref and it looked like it was going in anyway

What if..........the ball went in after little deflection from ref and it looked like it was going in anyway
Dropped ball. If it touches match official and goes in, even if it might have anyway the law is explicit

Dropped ball. If it touches match official and goes in, even if it might have anyway the law is explicit
This is a bit interesting, as they recently changed outside agent so that touching an outside agent doesn't wipe the goal if it would have gone in anyway. I hadn't tuned in to that inconsistency until this discussion.

This is a bit interesting, as they recently changed outside agent so that touching an outside agent doesn't wipe the goal if it would have gone in anyway. I hadn't tuned in to that inconsistency until this discussion.
No me neither. Ffs.

Well the ref was not considered an outside agent before or now. Just as interesting, or even more so is when it is clearly on its way out but it deflects into the goal. This result is not changed either with the new dropped ball law.

Back