A&H

Red or sin bin

Ollie towns

So I am a referee for my boys u14 football team , I only referee there matches as we are never appointed a referee but that's fine , I am impartial obviously and I call it as I see it , I mean its hard enough right , this Sunday 1st vs 2nd our team being 2nd very good game score is 2 - 2 late on and one of my sons team players has a little tussle with another player ball leaves the player holds on to our player from the ground a little so our player proceeds to kick the player on the floor I didn't see where but did notice the force , it turns out it was on the hamstring, there player screemed in pain, I gave our player a straight red , do you think a sin bin may have been better ?

The Referee Store
So I am a referee for my boys u14 football team , I only referee there matches as we are never appointed a referee but that's fine , I am impartial obviously and I call it as I see it , I mean its hard enough right , this Sunday 1st vs 2nd our team being 2nd very good game score is 2 - 2 late on and one of my sons team players has a little tussle with another player ball leaves the player holds on to our player from the ground a little so our player proceeds to kick the player on the floor I didn't see where but did notice the force , it turns out it was on the hamstring, there player screemed in pain, I gave our player a straight red , do you think a sin bin may have been better ?
Well done. You took the correct action if the kick was with any force. If it was no force it could have been considered petulant and warrant a YC only. It definitely would not be a sin bin. C2 dissent sin bins must only be used for “dissent by word” (generally defined as a player questioning your competence (you’re rubbish ref) or your impartiality (ref your being biased)) or “dissent by action” (eg clapping sarcastically, hand signals or kicking or throwing the ball away in frustration at your decision). Remember though if the words contain foul, abusive or offensive language then that is a straight red. Good luck.

Well done. You took the correct action if the kick was with any force. If it was no force it could have been considered petulant and warrant a YC only. It definitely would not be a sin bin. C2 dissent sin bins must only be used for “dissent by word” (generally defined as a player questioning your competence (you’re rubbish ref) or your impartiality (ref your being biased)) or “dissent by action” (eg clapping sarcastically, hand signals or kicking or throwing the ball away in frustration at your decision). Remember though if the words contain foul, abusive or offensive language then that is a straight red. Good luck.
Offinabus. (offensive, insulting or abusive). I think foul was removed about 10 years ago.

You can't use a sin bin for anything other than dissent.

It's hard refereeing a match if your son/daughter is playing or it's a team you help coach. Probably shouldn't do it but at youth football it's inevitable, and well done you for enforcing the LOTG. Doesn't happen enough at youth level imho, and I've been as guilty of it in the past as anyone. I've learnt along the way that additional leeway at younger ages is fine, but it can't be total leeway. I YC'd the main coach's son in a game this weekend at U12 for DRP. Blatantly hoofed the ball away about five seconds after I awarded a free kick to the oppo, who are 3-1 down with a couple of minutes remaining. Coach took it in good spirits and doesn't have to pay pocket money for three weeks!

As an aside, I always declare the potential conflict in advance to the oppo coach rather than being unhappy with my performance and then finding out. Not had any problems yet but do sometimes wonder whether doing so plants a seed of doubt before you've started. Do you?

Back