A&H

Red Cards Make a Debut

Skertser42

Hi All,

I reffed a U17 game yesterday afternoon.

I issued red cards to a player from both teams in the 65th minute.

The Home Team had been awarded a FK and the player fouled reacted to it. Both players went head to head. (There had been no booking at this point in the game)

I immediately issued a straight red card to both players for two reasons - 1. I deemed it Violent Conduct from both players and 2. I wanted to keep control of the game.

I felt if I only issued a yellow card the game could have become messy and I would have showed weakness in control of the game.

What is your opinions please?

Thanks,

Jake

The Referee Store
Firstly well done for dealing with it. First red cards are not easy and most new referees shy away from ir.

It is unfair to give red cards for clear yellow card offences because you think it helps you better control the game. But if as you say they were violent conduct (which is well defined in the laws of the game) then you have done the right thing. I must add, sometimes you treat border line offences to help your game control. For example you can go either way for an 'orange' card offence. But when it's clear one way or other, punish according to laws of the game.

It's a big milestone in your career, first game, first penalty, first yellow, first red etc.

When you say they went "head to head" can you explain that a little more? If it's two players that are pressing their foreheads against each other, you can see that as adopting an aggressive attitude which is a yellow, not a red. Probably a YHTBT situation, but make sure your clear on the law as to what constitutes the S/O offence

The only other advice I'd give is do not fall into the trap of giving out sanctions or not based on trying to keep match control, that's a really slippery slope. If you know the LOTG you need to apply them. Even if it's been a really good game played in the right spirit, the moment the big incident happens, you must act on it.

Best thing to do is reflect on the incident with the benefit of hindsight and consider, with the LOTG in front of you as to whether you were correct in the sanction you issued. If you conclude you were, great, if you conclude you weren't, then learn from it for the next time.

Most important thing is, don't ever be shy of making those big decisions in games!

Well done for fessing you but head to head (rutting) without much else is usually handled with yellows for AA. Obviously I wasn’t there and didn’t see what you saw but to bring 2 reds out like that sets a low bar for what may follow! What happens if the game went south from there? You’ve only got less options!

Tough calls and you may be right if I’ve missed something else but yellows normally suffice!

Really good advice guys, thanks!

I felt at the time, there and then, it was 2 red cards.

But upon reflection and your opinions above, maybe I jumped the gun and should have issued 2 yellow cards.

It will be a learning curve for me and I know how to handle the situation better next time.

Really good advice guys, thanks!

I felt at the time, there and then, it was 2 red cards.

But upon reflection and your opinions above, maybe I jumped the gun and should have issued 2 yellow cards.

It will be a learning curve for me and I know how to handle the situation better next time.

The 3 big things in my view to be a successful referee are:

1) know the laws of the game
2) be fit enough for the standard of football you are officiating at to get into positions that let you make decisions
3) be self critical of the key decisions in your games and analyse what you did well and what you could improve on.

you can see that as adopting an aggressive attitude which is a yellow, not a red.

Is this a referee term that comes with experience? Looking at law 12 the only mention of the word aggressive or aggression both fall under sending off offences and thats only for team officials.

Unless I am missing something entirely.

Is this a referee term that comes with experience? Looking at law 12 the only mention of the word aggressive or aggression both fall under sending off offences and thats only for team officials.

Unless I am missing something entirely.

It's sub code "AA" under the caution code for C1 "Unsporting Behaviour" on the WholeGame system. ;)

So basically, you caution a player for Unsporting Behaviour with the on field yellow card and book it as "AA" - Adopting an Aggressive Attitude on the system later. :)

It's sub code "AA" under the caution code for C1 "Unsporting Behaviour" on the WholeGame system. ;)

So basically, you caution a player for Unsporting Behaviour with the on field yellow card and book it as "AA" - Adopting an Aggressive Attitude on the system later. :)

This only works however if you are part of FA that uses WGS and has that caution code. That wouldn’t work up here I believe

Reactions: one
This only works however if you are part of FA that uses WGS and has that caution code. That wouldn’t work up here I believe

Maybe not, but adopting an aggressive attitude is covered under "Unsporting Behaviour". (USB) Like you, I've always found it strange that examples of USB are not mentioned in the LOTG book. ;)

Maybe not, but adopting an aggressive attitude is covered under "Unsporting Behaviour". (USB) Like you, I've always found it strange that examples of USB are not mentioned in the LOTG book. ;)
You 100% know that we'd get regulars here who'll argue that Example X isn't specifically listed therefore what in Law warranted a caution... etc.

As a new ref, without you telling me that it’s covered, I’d have no way of knowing that its covered. Obviously USB has its on section in the laws and AA is not mentioned.

As a new ref, without you telling me that it’s covered, I’d have no way of knowing that its covered. Obviously USB has its on section in the laws and AA is not mentioned.

I know mate. But you can now rest assured that it is. ;) :)

I know mate. But you can now rest assured that it is. ;) :)
Thats fair mate. Not doubting you or anything but these things would be good to know for new refs. I’m sure theres lots else that I dont know that refs dont that the LOTG dont say

Unsporting behaviour....its your get out of jail free card........when a player finally pushes you too far you can flash the lemon for 'unsporting behaviour'.....almost anything can count...its called making it up as you go along........

I've always found it strange that examples of USB are not mentioned in the LOTG book. ;)
Not sure what you mean. Here is a list of examples and many more throughout the book. The nature of the sanction is that the book can not cover all possibility. AA is something that the FA has added.

Screenshot_20200306-071520__01.jpg

I had my first red card of the season today. Totally unexpected as it was an u12 game and the score was around 9-0 at the time. Lad threw a punch so red card. On the one hand I know that I could have dealt with it by a stern telling off and nobody would have said anything but at the same time I dont want to be the ref from last week who didn't send off when the ref next week does and if I'm not prepared to apply the laws of the game then why am I even there.

If you deemed it violent conduct at that time then you were right in sending the players off and if on reflection you feel you maybe made a mistake then that's good because you may do it differently next time

Back