A&H

Red Cards Make a Debut

I'd be cautioning both players and bringing in the captain's so they can hear. Then tell the captain's to take control of their teams. Normally this calms things down. If it doesn't you can explain that you gave them the opportunity to sort it which takes the pressure off you if you have to show any more cards

The Referee Store
I had my first red card of the season today. Totally unexpected as it was an u12 game and the score was around 9-0 at the time. Lad threw a punch so red card. On the one hand I know that I could have dealt with it by a stern telling off and nobody would have said anything but at the same time I dont want to be the ref from last week who didn't send off when the ref next week does and if I'm not prepared to apply the laws of the game then why am I even there.

Go on then, I'll bite. How could you possibly deal with a punch with a stern telling off? You dealt with it correctly at the time; there was no other option available to you.

Go on then, I'll bite. How could you possibly deal with a punch with a stern telling off? You dealt with it correctly at the time; there was no other option available to you.
No that I would say it is right or recommend it at all, but it is not that hard to sell a air swing with a telling off, especially in an U12 game. But as pointed out, this not only makes it harder for next week's ref, it quite possibly makes it harder for yourself for the rest of the game.

well done. red cards used properly can take the heat right out of a game
in my ra ayrshire in scotland we give every newbie a set of cards and i always tell the reluctant
shy referees we dont give you cards to keep them dry and warm in your pocket

in my ra ayrshire in scotland we give every newbie a set of cards and i always tell the reluctant

Glasgow didn’t give us anything except a Europa league jersey haha

First yellow, first red, first penalty, first mass confrontation they are all a bit daunting to deal with until you've had one, but once you've had one they become easier to do.

It's hard to remember what the FA have made up and what's actually in the book sometimes. The FA codes barely make sense.

The FA codes barely make sense.
The codes were my biggest source of confusion when I first qualified. I actually thought the codes meant something that I was missing. I trawled the book, unsuccessfully trying to make sense of them

Reactions: JH
You’re lucky, you used to have to write a report with all the swear words included. I bet there was hysterics in the County FA reading some of them! It was fun writing some of them! 😂

Back