A&H

Open Age Red card opinion

The Referee Store
Realise this was just the highlights (or lowlights) but that was indeed a challenging game. I lost count of the cards. Was it 3 or 4 reds? And you could probably have handed out a few more as well. You battled hard to keep control in a most difficult atmosphere. Well done! You also had what might be the worst CARs in footballing history. The great thing is that you spotted all the worst behaviour and punished it. Frankly, the league secretary should be given a copy of that video and both clubs should be told to behave better in future or get kicked out.

4 red cards
first two were for 2nd yellow cards - and decided to try and fight with each other
3rd one was for calling me a cheating c***t
4th red was for that two footed stomp

I think in total there was 7 yellow cards - with 3 people on final warnings -

tough game but learned a lot from it

Wow! Nightmare of a match. Is there any history between the two teams, I'm guessing so having watched that? I think that for you to do all that on your own (I did see come people holding a flag but you cannot call them CAR's by any stretch of the imagination) you deserve a lot of credit. A nasty match that boiled over a few times, none of which you could do anything about. Well done on getting all the major red card decisions right and well done for putting up with the general behaviour of the teams throughout the match.

That pitch must be a pubic hair over the minimum width requirement!!
If I may offer a bit of advice Conor:

1) I would say that match was far too feisty for the advantages you were playing. I personally would need to see a GREAT chance to be playing ANY advantage in this match.

2) The incident on 10:00. I would be banging on that whistle the second he touched the player to roll him off the pitch. Everyone would know the caution was coming and perhaps (maybe not) have stopped some of the reaction.

3) In a game like this during a caution, I would take FOOOOOOOOREVER administering the caution before restarting play. Slowing the game right down and letting people calm down a bit. Some of your cautions were like "BANG" let's go. Although you don't appear to have needed to take names, which helps slow the whole thing down

Well done anyway on getting through what would have been a challenging match for anyone

Last edited:
I agree with @deusex - get the offender, draw him to you and give him a little roasting before giving the caution. No hurry. Nice and slow. Then put the card away in your own time, trot to next position.

One huge thing you did a lot - Stop turning your back to the rest of the game when cautioning - get out wide (not hard on this tiny pitch) and face the pitch so you can still see as many of the other players as possible behind intended target for your card.

Thanks for sharing this with us Conor. You look to have handled a difficult encounter well. :)

I personally can't offer up any more advice outside of what has already been given, other than the only (minor) point I noticed was the little lad kicking and dribbling a football around practically on the touchline. At one point, he was seen (albeit very briefly) to actually be on the pitch. I'd let him do neither mate. I know you had other things on your mind, but a small person right next to the touchline can be a recipe for disaster when it comes to robust in-field challenges and "blasted" clearances.
I speak from experience. (as a referee, not a small person ;) :D ).

Well done mate. :)

I personally thought you could have issued a couple more yellow cards in the first half, which may have kept the game under greater control in particular early in the second half.

Never turn your back in a conflict situation!

Great job in tough circumstances though :)

That match was brutal. Only comment I would make is about 'leaning' down to write on your knee. You can't see what's going on as you're facing 'in'.

Also (unfortunately) does leave you vulnerable if a player decides to act like a caveman towards you.

thanks guys for all your comments, every one of them I noted down on my notepad myself after watching the game.

** the kids at the side- I stopped play 3 times to get them over the fence- even had to speak to the home team to sort it out.

** bending down to write on the cards is a habit of mine which I need to get rid off.

** I tried not to flash the YC as much, because if I did I felt there couldn't have been more sent off, I gave a lot of stern warnings and 3 people were on final warnings, funny enough after that final warning they didn't make a tackle.

these two team were catholic v protestant in northern Ireland so you can see why it was so feisty lol

nether less I learned a heck of a lot from this game!!

Blimey, I didn't realise this was you in action Conor. Challenging game, but I think you handled yourself well. Most of the development points have been covered above. Always interesting to see after such a feisty match so many players shaking hands and embracing.

It's a funny old game.

thanks guys for all your comments, every one of them I noted down on my notepad myself after watching the game.

** the kids at the side- I stopped play 3 times to get them over the fence- even had to speak to the home team to sort it out.

** bending down to write on the cards is a habit of mine which I need to get rid off.

** I tried not to flash the YC as much, because if I did I felt there couldn't have been more sent off, I gave a lot of stern warnings and 3 people were on final warnings, funny enough after that final warning they didn't make a tackle.

these two team were catholic v protestant in northern Ireland so you can see why it was so feisty lol

nether less I learned a heck of a lot from this game!!

Wow, that does add quite a different context to the game.

2016 and religion makes its way onto the football pitch?? Ridiculous!

There is something magical about having a video to watch your game back. It's the kind of feedback simply not available to most of us. :)

Well done mate

Back