A&H

red card in youth friendly.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I reffed a youth game today and a much bigger player was using his shoulder to barge and foul players.

I gave a free kick first time, a warning second time.

3rd time the card comes out and i suggest to the manager a subbing might help. Manager's reaction - "he's our best player. We're not subbing him!".

Same player comes in from 15 yards away and knocks over another player (with shoulder). That fouled player goes off with an injured shoulder.

I then get the second yellow out and send him off.

Two points really:

1. Why do players think it's ok to use the shoulder as a battering ram?

2. Why would a manager not take my warning when i suggested a sub?

After the game the manager of the sent-off player said none of them were fouls and it was the other player's fault for being a lot smaller than the sent off player.

The Referee Store
I appreciate the managers sentiment, physicality varies so much that sometimes players do go down “soft”.

But it sounds like this lad is charging other players, not just using his strength whilst challenging for the ball, that’s a foul all day and he didn’t heed the warnings. Sounds like the manager encourages it.

Similar to ‘in the back ref’, screaming ‘it was shoulder to shoulder’ has become a thing amongst players and managers meaning they can use at much force as they possibly can

The law does allow some charging in specific situations, so all you can do is decide whether it was legitimate, careless or reckless.

In terms of suggesting a sub, I'd be wary of that. Perhaps not too bad in a friendly, but should never be used in a competitive game, could land you in real hot water.

The law does allow some charging in specific situations, so all you can do is decide whether it was legitimate, careless or reckless.

In terms of suggesting a sub, I'd be wary of that. Perhaps not too bad in a friendly, but should never be used in a competitive game, could land you in real hot water.
Suggesting a sub is not on, as you say - we teach new referees to talk with the coach during a break in play, along the lines: "Your number 5 is close to a card, coach. Up to you of course - if you want to make any changes, we have a break in play"

“Your number 5 is close to a card, coach. Up to you of course - if you want to make any changes, we have a break in play”

Wouldn’t even go down this route. The manager is perfectly capable of deciding whether to replace a player. Not for any of us to suggest a sub

“Your number 5 is close to a card, coach. Up to you of course - if you want to make any changes, we have a break in play”

Wouldn’t even go down this route. The manager is perfectly capable of deciding whether to replace a player. Not for any of us to suggest a sub
In mini soccer and youth football, we encourage new referees to manage situations within the laws. Stopping a young player getting an unnecessary yellow card by a discreet word with the coach is sound management, as the coach may not know that the player is getting close.
A few minutes on the touchline with the coach usually does the trick.

@Kent Ref i thought you did the right thing here. I agree with some people in a game with no points at stake (I don’t refer to them as friendlies as far from it) its ok imo to manage and say “5 close to Yel / Red but never ever consider that in a league game. But equally we have a duty to enforce the law and it doesn’t matter what sort of game it is. But on this occasion the manager failed to listen. So player went off, no problems with that.

Back