A&H

Really really annoyed

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
I have travelled 30 minutes out I my way to turn up to a game, stand there until after the kick off time and no one is there. I then ring up the league secretary and say what is going on. He says, well it’s probably off?????? Well how about I’m told prior to the kick off time?? Shouldn’t I be informed that the match is off??

Sorry for the rant but I think this is a shambles.

The Referee Store
Standard across all (I think) leagues is half fee + expenses if match not played. Select leagues also offer full fee + expenses but only if a team is at fault (not enough players etc).

It is covered by rule 13FA in the standard code of rules. Leagues can either choose to pay one of three options when this happens …

- Full fee plus expenses
- Half fee plus expenses
- Expenses only

Relevant section from SCoR is below.

(F) In the event of a match not being played because of circumstances over which the Clubs have no control, the Match Officials, if present, shall be entitled to full fee plus expenses/half fee plus expenses/expenses only. Where a match is not played owing to one Club being in default, that Club shall be ordered to pay the Officials, if they attend the ground, their full fee and expenses.

It is covered by rule 13FA in the standard code of rules. Leagues can either choose to pay one of three options when this happens …

- Full fee plus expenses
- Half fee plus expenses
- Expenses only

Relevant section from SCoR is below.

(F) In the event of a match not being played because of circumstances over which the Clubs have no control, the Match Officials, if present, shall be entitled to full fee plus expenses/half fee plus expenses/expenses only. Where a match is not played owing to one Club being in default, that Club shall be ordered to pay the Officials, if they attend the ground, their full fee and expenses.

I have been told that I am not entitled to anything as the match was not confirmed from the home team. However, I was never told it was off.

So one of the things that I would have hoped was covered on your course is that you need to check competition rules. These will set out the basis for payment of fees in the event of a game not being played and the procedure for the game being confirmed. Some leagues the home manager should contact the referee a certain number of days before the game, in others, the referee needs to make the contact. If the club are supposed to confirm and don't, then I would check with the league and the team that the game is going ahead. Only very rarely, where I know the teams really well, would I turn up without any contact.

So one of the things that I would have hoped was covered on your course is that you need to check competition rules. These will set out the basis for payment of fees in the event of a game not being played and the procedure for the game being confirmed. Some leagues the home manager should contact the referee a certain number of days before the game, in others, the referee needs to make the contact. If the club are supposed to confirm and don't, then I would check with the league and the team that the game is going ahead. Only very rarely, where I know the teams really well, would I turn up without any contact.

Completely agree, if the rules require the home club to confirm the game with you and they haven't by, say, Thursday, you should contact the league to let them know.

Hmmm...I've noticed with the introduction of the Full-Time system, the clubs are confirming games less and less, as all parties get online confirmation of the match details. That makes things very tricky in this instance.

Hmmm...I've noticed with the introduction of the Full-Time system, the clubs are confirming games less and less, as all parties get online confirmation of the match details. That makes things very tricky in this instance.
Introduction? My local Sunday League have been using it since at least 2008, so it's not a new thing

Introduction? My local Sunday League have been using it since at least 2008, so it's not a new thing

I didn't say it was a new thing. Just that since it's been introduced, i've noticed many Home Teams don't confirm the fixtures with the appointed referees beforehand

Why does full time make it tricky. If the CR (competition rules) state club must contact then the club must make contact. An automated email from an FA website doesn't cut it.

That only tells you the two teams, kick off time and possibly venue. It doesn't necessarily mean those last two things won't change, especially at this time of year when many football pitches in England have been switched over to cricket and clubs have to find alternative venues.

Always get confirmation of the game and chase it if you don't. Again, this is covered by SCoR, as below ...

(D) The Secretary of the home Club must give notice of full particulars of the location of, and access to, the ground and time of kick-off to the match officials and the Secretary of the opposing Club at least [ ] clear days prior to the playing of the match. If not so provided, the away club shall seek such details and report the circumstances to the competition.

Full Time also has a standard home time for the home team. Adult league's tend to have all used kicking off at the same time but the u18 league I referee has varied KO times. I pay no attention to the KO time on the Full Time confirmation email as it's a default time usually. I await confirmation.

I reckon I end up chasing confirmation of fixtures once a month with home teams. Competition rules state the day they should be in touch (usually Wednesday here). Come Thursday morning I'll send a text or email, whatever details I can get and if I've had no contact then I'll send a final message saying that due to no contact I'm assuming there's no game and I'll accept another fixture. Within 5 mins there's usually a reply then.

I hate doing that but there's been several weekends where I've turned fixtures down as I've got an assigned game and ive waited until Friday for confirmation and then get told it's off and I've ended up with no game. That won't ever happen again

Back