A&H

Real Madrid vs Man City

I don't think this is bonkers though - I know what you're saying but I think it can be broadly understood that this only applies where there is a 4th official.

Even so, the principle is clearly that if the referee indicates a certain amount of time will be added, that's the point at which they've made that decision. They can then add time (if there's further stoppages in added time) but should not reduce it. So I would consider that if I've indicated to my AR, or to the benches (or - perhaps more arguably - to the players) that there will be 3 mins of added time, I shouldn't then blow up after 2 but I could go to 4 and that would be defensible in law.
But this principal is exactly the one used when arguing against a stopping clock - that it would be impossible to manage at grassroots therefore cannot be trialled at professional levels. You can't have it both ways: either the laws need to be consistent at all levels in which case, mandating a 4th O does something is problematic; or we allow reasonable variations depending on resources, in which case why can't we have a stop clock (and indeed, VAR, reserve AR's etc) in matches where resources allow it?

With respect to your second point - referees are human and make mistakes. The referee could say 3 and the 4O hears 4 and shows that (or any other pair of numbers that might sound similar in other languages) - is the referee then obliged to play an additional minute they didn't want?

Or the referee could mentally tot up the stoppages in the second half and accidentally allow 2 minutes for an injury that was actually in the first half and was included in first half stoppage time. Again, on realising that mistake, isn't correcting it better than playing more time than is fair and potentially allowing the result to be changed?

The Referee Store
We do all realise 3 mins injury for a 15 min period is LOADS. I was half drunk but what long stoppage was there to justify more?
Also, Man City can go back and watch their last 10 mins against Atletico if they want to see time-wasting.

We do all realise 3 mins injury for a 15 min period is LOADS. I was half drunk but what long stoppage was there to justify more?
Also, Man City can go back and watch their last 10 mins against Atletico if they want to see time-wasting.

there were 2 lengthy injuries to the same player and a sub plus time wasting. 3 mins does sound a lot. it wasnt enough

Where 13 minutes of stoppage time was rightfully played

Back