A&H

"Questionable" impartiality

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Took the day off yesterday (ageing bod is creaking a bit after a busy pre-season/start of the season), so went for a road trip across Dorset to watch my son's team in a cup game. The lads played well to earn a very well deserved and comfortable away win. :)

Whilst at a game I am very reluctant to openly criticise a fellow man in black, especially to other parents etc, we all have good days and bad days and know it's a tough job blah blah blah...

However I wouldn't go as far to say the referee was cheating, his impartiality at times was somewhat questionable. :confused: The first foul throw by my son's team was instantly blown for, no complaints correct decision, some kids just don't get it. Throw goes to the home team, player takes it with another swan lake impression with foot up by standing knee except this one is ignored. Counted at least 6 occasions in the first half where the same player from the home side did exactly the same thing, not a single foul thrown given against him.

Midway through the 2nd half, away team keeper (who likes to go walk about) challenges an attacker on the corner of the box and in the process falls on the ball and handles. Free kick fair enough, never a dogso situation, despite several shouts from the home parents. Keeper retreats back to his goal only to be called by the referee and given a somewhat lengthy lecture with plenty of finger pointing to the sidelines.

Several "over the top" challenges by home players, some given others not, went without a single word being said to the offending player.

Late in the game, home side pulls back a late consolation from a penalty. Away keeper admittedly somewhat frustrated looks to kick the ball back to the centre circle for the restart, but slices it badly and goes more sideways than forwards and straight over a fence adjoining the pitch. Cue shouts of "He's wasting time ref" from the home parents, referee (who I am not entirely sure saw it properly) stomps down the pitch army style from half way and thrusts the yellow card at the keeper, head height and inches from his face, then wrote in his book as he walked back to the centre circle. Appeared a tad harsh, but could easily be interpreted as time wasting, but it was the manner in which it was handled which was very questionable..

His general demeanour at times was somewhat aggressive towards the away team players, the handling and "time washing" incidents prime examples.

Found out after the game that the registered referee is a close relative of the home manager. Now we all know that many grass roots teams would struggle to play fixtures without the help of volunteers as referees/assistants etc (Ref'd enough of my son's games down the years after being initially roped in at 24 hours notice to help out, was asked to do it again, caught the bug, so decided to go official). Clearly some people are able to "detach" from their connections during the match to remain as impartial as possible a lot easier than others!

The Referee Store
Reluctant to use that word when referring to fellow man in black... let's just call it "extremely selective" as to what he saw and how he dealt with situations depending if it was the home or away team! :D

My son used to play for U10 team, one day his manager and i were talking about the lack of referees within the league and i just happened to comment that i wouldn't mind becoming a referee. To cut a long story short he said that his club would pay for the training course, at the end of the course after 10 games the cost would be re-embursed to him anyway.
So done and passed the course, and my first ever game i refereed was a home game for my son's team,and i can proudly say i refereed about 20-30 of their games and all done in total fairness resulting in 6 YC and 1RC.
In all my years of refereeing the greatest problem we face is the use of club linesmen and their lack of impartiality. To make matters worse is explaining to them now the new offside rules :confused:
I have to yet witness some blatant " impartiality" by a man in black....The question is though... Does one turn a blind eye to it? Report it? (depending on its severity).

Last edited:
Club linos aren't expected to know the new offside rules. They are only meant to be used at step 5 and above (with neutral assts)

I have to yet witness some blatant " impartiality" by a man in black....The question is though... Does one turn a blind eye to it? Report it? (depending on its severity).:poop:

I know what you're trying to say, but you've just claimed to have never seen an honest and fair referee!

Um! i have never seen any "wrongdoings" by a referee, in the matches i have ever watched.....club linos have asked me to explain the new rules on offside and the look on their faces is complete "doh ... what?"

I seem to be doing all of my son's teams home games this season - new league and no local refs that they allocate. In previous seasons, I found the harder challenge was not over-compensating for bias, i.e. being "more favourable" to the visiting team, so that I'm not seen to be biased towards my son's team. This season, completely detach myself from his team, as if I was any other allocated ref. New league, so other clubs don't know me, and have found the games more enjoyable like this.

@Mooseybaby Was the referee on your son's game someone who yes, was a registered ref but only ever referees that team, or is he allocated out across other matches as well? I can't believe that a ref who referees generally would show that bias, and you would have thought that with it being a cup game (even at youth) would have advised his ref sec of his link to the team so that another official could be allocated.

I once overheard an away supporter mention the fact that my son was in the team and that i would be bias, this was of course before the k.o.
I didn't have my kit on and i said to her "That would be me then, if you think that after the game, come and see me" i never did see her, they won 2-1 and had a penalty........

I seem to be doing all of my son's teams home games this season - new league and no local refs that they allocate. In previous seasons, I found the harder challenge was not over-compensating for bias, i.e. being "more favourable" to the visiting team, so that I'm not seen to be biased towards my son's team. This season, completely detach myself from his team, as if I was any other allocated ref. New league, so other clubs don't know me, and have found the games more enjoyable like this.
@Mooseybaby Was the referee on your son's game someone who yes, was a registered ref but only ever referees that team, or is he allocated out across other matches as well? I can't believe that a ref who referees generally would show that bias, and you would have thought that with it being a cup game (even at youth) would have advised his ref sec of his link to the team so that another official could be allocated.
Being "encouraged" to take charge of one of my son's games was how I got into refereeing. Likewise having done many of his games over the past 6 years or so, perhaps have been guilty of trying to hard at times, even to the extent challenges on my own son that I didn't penalise possibly because I didn't want to appear biased. Can remember one u10s mini-soccer game I did, son's team were winning 8-0. The abuse I got from his own team's parents was unbelievable. According to them, standing on the half way line gave them a better view than me stood on the goal line, to see whether the ball crossed the line or not following a corner. Me saying it hadn't crossed the line, I "cheated" them out of a 9th goal! Had similar complaints in an exactly the same situation when the score was 17-0! Needless to say, my son didn't stay the following season....

As for the referee in question on Sunday, believe he is well known to the home club and possibly does all their home games. Home linesman knew him well. Some of the older players on another pitch also appeared to be on good terms with him. The cup competition he is much like the leagues my son has played in, home team organise/provide the referee up to and including semi-finals.

when anyone says i hate to criticise, iam no racist but i am not sexist but, why is it the next comment they make is totally the opposite of that

The original post reads like something from a radio phone in!

What age group was this? Do you know if he was even a qualified referee?

In my area we have "non competitive" football up to U12 and home teams appoint their own referees. Being a referee I usually had the task of refereeing my son's home matches when he played at this level. Other teams were responsible for away matches and there were some real clowns, the sort of guys who thought they knew everything but when it came to doing the job just didn't have a clue (or the b#*lls).

One that gets me for inpartiality is when it's County Cup and you have one from the league you normally referee in against someone from a different league.

Apparently we become on their side because we're locals. Of course we're gonna side with the monsters who abuse us week in the week out every Sunday morning?!?!?! Perfect logic!

Apparently we become on their side because we're locals. Of course we're gonna side with the monsters who abuse us week in the week out every Sunday morning?!?!?! Perfect logic!

Exactly! I was once accused of bias by a visiting player in an inter district competition I was refereeing. When I pointed out that I refereed the home team several times during the season and had no absolutely no reason to do them any favours he laughed, said that was fair enough and just got on with the game.

I went to support a new colleague last season in his first match. The home team gave him grief because he was associated with a local town rival and could not possibly be impartial. The other team was from out of town and gave him grief because he would surely favour the team from his home town, again making it impossible for him to be impartial!

I was wetting myself on the sideline listening to the nonsense. :D

methinks you confused, i have never seen blatant cheating....

I knew that was what you were trying to say ;) however, Exhibits A and B follow:

Impartiality (noun) (also called even-handedness or fair-mindedness) is a principle of justice holding that decisions should be based on objective criteria, rather than on the basis of bias, prejudice, or preferring the benefit to one person over another for improper reasons.

Antonym: Partiality (noun) unfair bias in favour of one thing or person compared with another; favoritism

Back