A&H

Question

The Referee Store
I remember I did a U9 low division years ago. It was full field 11 a side at the time. I don't remember how long into the game or the score. As the ball was rolling into the goal a defender (not keeper) ran twards it and picked it up about a meter short of goal and then realized what he did, dropped it and kicked it away. I blew the whistle and do remember thinking I have to do something fair but senseble here as everyone was waiting for me to decide. I jogged to the sideline and told the manager it's a pen, he is being sent off but I don't want to show him the red card. He thanked me and said he will get him off the pitch and explain it to him. As I was jogging back he called the kid to the bench.

I had seen very young kids bursting to tears when shown red cards for doing similar things.
Great way of doing it

I do the you get lot now and then. Generally only get a couple each season. I did several my first year learning the ropes, building confidence, etc. I can say I've only had a few card situations at this age. There is a degree of teaching that goes on BUT the LOTG are and should be the same. Teach them right. Player management is just as important here as with the older lot. A lot of reckless tackles can be avoided by talking to the big kid who is coming in hot but late BEFORE he levels someone. A quiet "your are coming in late and fast. You know if you get the player like that I may have to give you a card" takes care of it often. I gave a SPA to a U11 in a championship tourney game a few years back (cut down a player from behind who was in process of shooting just outside the PA with no chance at ball) and the coach (who was an arse all game anyway) came unglued. Too bad. He ended with a TELL/YC. My youngest straight RC was this season to a U11. 0-5 with a minute left. Ball cleared away from PA and across field by defender following battle for loose ball. Attacker on losing side turned away from play about two seconds after ball was gone to turn toward nearest defender and CRACK him with a kick across both shins. No noteworthy challenge had preceded it.

I have found that at the younger ages of you are consistent, referee by the LOTG, explain a bit more than normal (the parents see you doing it and hear it at times) and talk to players beforehand if possible helps. I have had many parents (from both sides) and players approach me to tell me that I was the best ref they've had all season.

My thoughts are if you dont teach them properly, they are going to follow the LOTG when they are older and be shocked when the are a card magnet OR they will drive other kids from the sport. Stick to the LOTG. As kids take yellow cards hard at these ages, I generally talk to them when I call them over and tell them "im not mad at you." explain the issue/foul, tell them "because of..(whatever) I'm going to have to give you a card but it is not a big deal. Let's just avoid doing that again okay?"

Last edited:
Is there a reason for that (why not 10 or 12?) Or is it just your lucky number :p
U11 is first time offside rule is introduced and at U10 in my games at least ive not had a kid do anything synical also at U7 i dont give penalties (from request of most managers in the u7 league)

Back