A&H

Question of impartial ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
OK, here's my take on this. There are some words that are clearly offensive, insulting or abusive. I just do not feel that a player saying something like have you got a red shirt under that ref ticks a mandatory insulting or abusive box the same way that other words do.

So on that basis I still believe that the referee needs to feel offended to send off for that. I don't have a problem with any referee sending off for it, and as I said I might well do myself depending on how it is said, but I don't see any argument that it is a mandatory red card as has been suggested. And if I'm wrong on that level then so be it, but as Lincs has said I'd certainly be backed up by law 5.

How does shouting something about the refs impartiality make it more offensive to the referee? The quiet remark is usuallly far more calculated and insidious.

How does shouting something about the refs impartiality make it more offensive to the referee? The quiet remark is usuallly far more calculated and insidious.

I think the point is being made, that the former is a far greater threat to your match control.

However he puts it, however he tries to hide the fact that he's questioning your impartiality, he shouldn't be on the pitch after saying it...
Players can be sly, players can be clever, players can be downright nasty in lots of comments but deep down in this thread he's called you a cheat....and there should only be one possible outcome....

Last edited:
in 500+ games I think I must of had the full repotoire aimed at me. Players nose to nose with me and goalies 70 yards away giving it large. Set yourself a tolerance bar, up, down it's your call. No one here can set your bar. Don't go there to be Mr Popular, and don't go there to have your pants taken down. Only you are in charge, never them, remember that and you'll do ok.

Last edited:
You were called a cheat......and you are happy to caution for it?
I wasn't called a cheat, I was asked to put a different shirt on and I am happy with my actions and under similar circumstance would do it exactly the same. Given your attitude towards the game I find it hard to imagine you ever actually finish a game with the number of cards you must issue. Wonder if I was to go along and assess you would you be quite so extreme in your views.

I wasn't called a cheat, I was asked to put a different shirt on and I am happy with my actions and under similar circumstance would do it exactly the same. Given your attitude towards the game I find it hard to imagine you ever actually finish a game with the number of cards you must issue. Wonder if I was to go along and assess you would you be quite so extreme in your views.

You were called a cheat.....dress it up however you want to ease your conscience for letting the side down......but you knew exactly what was meant by the comment and bottled out of the difficult decision.

And it's very telling that you consider dismissing someone for calling/implying you are a cheat is an "extreme" view.

As I said @Padfoot a player says to you "ref you're a....." doesn't finish the sentence but you know exactly what he is/was going to say or thinking you carding him? Red you are off! you were going to call me something and I have therefore taken offence or maybe he was going to say nice guy? My association would laugh you out of the hearing...well he implied and I thought he was going to say something.....he didn't actually say it but I am Padfoot therefore you must listen to me.

Now if the player actually calls me a cheat then bye bye...but I don't do interruptive language I don't second guess what people intend to say..I don't know if the person is colour blind and can't tell the actually colour of my shirt so under the old OTOOTR, I do what I think is right and no matter how many times you say I have let anyone down. in this case I think you are the only one letting themselves down.

[
Similar situation on Saturday...guy chirping nothing abusive just constant drivel 92 minutes walks past me and goes..."get a red shirt on ref"....eh hello can I have a word please YC next comment like that and you will be shopping with the Mrs next weekend. I YC for dissent as it was an indirect or implied cheat call if he had of said it directly he was walking!

If you as referee have allowed or tolerated someone to chirp away at you for 92 mins then you are (imo) not managing the game correctly, granted you say its nothing abusive, but, liken it to, fouls committed which are nothing serious. Still fouls. Would you accept 92 mins of "little fouls" by a player?
To caution, (presumably for dissent or an accumulation of dissent) on 92 mins is (again imo) exceptionally weak and its a mere token gesture card, than a card being used for its real and proper meaning, a match control tool
I would also state (in my weekend league anyway) that a double yellow in a game does not lead to an automatic next game suspension so it would be incorrect for someone in the league I do to use the line that "you wont be playing next weekend"
Unless of course you mean if he repeats the same offence, you are going to give him a straight red card, which would be entirely bizaree given that you have just judged his same offence as a yellow.
Everyone has their own wee gripes when watching a game and one of mine is a referee removing a manager in say the 92nd minute because he has finally had enough of the misbehaviour. Nearly pointless, do it on the 60th minute and give yourself a more peaceful last 30 mins and show people you are in control, you are managing and you are aware of environ. To do it on 92 is , for me, a token get out.

@Ciley Myrus - this coming from someone who would allow players to play in slippers :wow:.....I have seen your ramblings on another thread and quite frankly your opinion on any subject is relevant to me. I don't value it in the slightest nor care for it other than to dismiss it as utter dribble.

@Ciley Myrus - this coming from someone who would allow players to play in slippers :wow:.....I have seen your ramblings on another thread and quite frankly your opinion on any subject is relevant to me. I don't value it in the slightest nor care for it other than to dismiss it as utter dribble.

You cared enough to reply........at least this time you did it without causing offence, so you are clearly growing up :)

Coming from you, no, its a compliment that you took time out of your life to reply.

now, it would great if you would continue to ignore anything I post, thanks in advance. xx

ok chaps, now you've added each other to your ignored users list, can we carry on? Or do I need to close this and put you on the naughty step?

If it means not being subjected to, in his own words, abuse, then close whatever you want! A forum member openly admitting he intended to cause offense with comments is not really why I am on a football referee forum tbh.
Am liberal, I accept differing views but I also expect to be able to express mine without being actively informed am being insulted !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back