A&H

Quenelle

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
So....you're refereeing your game this weekend when one of the players scores a goal and celebrates by copying Mr Anelka and makes a 'Quenelle' gesture

what would you do?

The Referee Store
i gave the sussex f.a. referee training officer the scenario of this happening in my u14's game this weekend

his view was, in the light of the ongoing case, caution, report and let the f.a. deal with it

arguably too early for sending off for reason given above until case is concluded - which may or may not be on thursday

In all seriousness, the issue here is that it CAN (Not should be, but can) be interpreted as offensive, insulting or abusive. Whether the 'creators' or 'promoters' of the quenelle intended to or not, it now holds anti-semitic connotations. If a player is silly enough to try this on a football pitch, they don't deserve to be there

100% send-off for me. I, as a member of the Jewish faith, would regard that as Offensive, Insulting or Abusive and would be dismissing as such. No question.

Doesn't matter if you're Jewish or not. Frankly, it doesn't matter if you are using it to be offensive, the point is that it is an offensive gesture, and so warrants a send off.

'In that situation it wasn't offinabus - it was clear that he wasn't trying to be offensive just tried to put off the kicker'

Possibly putting you on the spot a little, Southend, but how does your comment above re the quenelle equate to your comment re 'you're gay' on another thread

I didn't know the "quenelle" was even a thing, until Anelka did it. I think on Saturday I'm going to mention it in my pre match briefing so that everyone is aware that this gesture warrants a red card. Then there are no excuses.

'In that situation it wasn't offinabus - it was clear that he wasn't trying to be offensive just tried to put off the kicker'

Possibly putting you on the spot a little, Southend, but how does your comment above re the quenelle equate to your comment re 'you're gay' on another thread
The phrase 'you're gay' isn't in itself offensive, it's just the way it's used makes it offensive. Conversely, the quenelle gesture is offensive in its own right.

if i was a referee who happened to be gay and a player tried to put another player off by saying to him 'you're gay', i can see how i might be offended by that

With regard to the Quenelle, I think we can only wait and see as to what the FA are going to make of it. I do personally think that it is anti-Semitic and warrants a red card, but it would be difficult to dish out red cards on a Sunday morning if the FA don't see it as a punishable offence.

Dan, amongst others, will still find it offensive, regardless of what the f.a. decide, so a red card would be perfectly acceptable. however, if the f.a. decide that Anelka's action wasn't offensive, clubs could challenge the red card, depending on the rules of the competition that they were playing in

Dan, amongst others, will still find it offensive, regardless of what the f.a. decide, so a red card would be perfectly acceptable. however, if the f.a. decide that Anelka's action wasn't offensive, clubs could challenge the red card, depending on the rules of the competition that they were playing in

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting at - a red all day long IMO as it is insulting/offensive to a referee, but clubs will have solid grounds for complaint if it is deemed not offensive. FA just need to punish it, let everybody know where they stand and end this debate once and for all.

Hopefully Mr Dean is just scratching his arm but my Facebook rather unsurprisingly my facebook says a different story...MD.jpg

His communication button pad thing is on that arm to allow him to speak to Mason, he's not on an open mic as 4th man, he is on push to talk, and his button is on that arm it seems! Silly place to put it in the circumstances!

Back