A&H

World Cup Quarter-final appointments:

Could it be a case tho of FIFA making a stance that VAR is bigger than the ref, (in the case of Brych)
How dars he refuse to even check something out on our new baby, we will show him who is boss?

That indeed leaves you with referees who might not be the best, but can follow instructions....

The Referee Store
Brych story is as reported by the "@varofficial1 "twitter account. Seems that they had pretty accurate information, surprised not more as being made in the media of the source of that leak.

Could it be a case tho of FIFA making a stance that VAR is bigger than the ref, (in the case of Brych)
How dars he refuse to even check something out on our new baby, we will show him who is boss?

That indeed leaves you with referees who might not be the best, but can follow instructions....

Sorry I disagree.

There are referee colleagues watching the action live, then with the aid of slow motion from many angles, they are almost certainly going to have had as good a view, probably better, than the on field referee. If they tell you that you have made a big error why would you not go check it out for yourself. Not a problem of communication in this instance, as 2 of the 4 VAR officials were also German.
If you disagree after viewing the video fine, but at least go see it!

I don't see why some say FIFA has not officially announced Brych was sent home. This official article says "the number of referees has been reduced." and Brych's name is not in the retained list. That could only mean one thing. He was sent home.

As to not announcing why he was sent home, well there are many others who were sent home as well with no reason given. Why single out Brych? The only reasons can be affiliation, performance or political. To be honest I'd say after his one game performance, he did not fair above some others who were sent home, VAR or no VAR. I don't think its because he refused to use VAR, but because he got an easy KMI wrong. Had he used VAR and still get it wrong, he would have still been sent home.

My theory on why he didn't use VAR or change his decision. After the no-pen decision he gave a big bollocking to the Serbian striker. There was no way he would have changed his decision after that bollocking. He would have lost face big time. He knew reviewing it would make it even worse if he had to change his decision.

I'm at least happy to know that the VAR looked at that and said it was a PK. During that thread most people were screaming about the failure of the VAR to send it down. It turns out that he tried. The fact that Brych refused to even have an OFR is reason enough to send him home. I'm really surprised it happened with a referee with so much VAR experience. Especially when he had a fellow German as the VAR. It makes me wonder if there were some pre-existing problems/issues with the German refs. Maybe something that happened during the Bundesliga season.

Might be better thread to post this than this but, in days gone by, a ref say, giving a pk, then changing mind, would not be marked down, as they eventually got to the right call. This was later changed (wrongly imo) to ref say, incorrectly giving a pk then changing it, would score max 7.9.
Anybody any idea how var reviews affect the marking process?
As in, Kuipers giving Neymar the pk, them reversing it, he would then (clearly depending on other instances in the game) be also 7.9 max, as Brych would have been for his non reviewed var pk error

Mitrovic (the player who was hauled down) is a very difficult customer to referee. He's always being fouled or (more likely) fouling his opponent. Brych has spent decades handling these situations successfully himself, so psychologically, it's probable that he momentarily objected to perceived interference from the VAR
The biggest global stage and non-stop aggro from the players, it can't be easy to simultaneously transition to a completely different way of working. The one person I wouldn't point the finger at, is the referee

Back