World Cup Quarter-final appointments:

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Uruguay v France - Nestor Pitana (ARG)

Brazil v Belgium - Milorad Masic (SRB)

Sweden v England - Bjorn Kuipers (NED)

Russia V Croatia - Sandro Ricci (BRA)

I'm seeing some ridiculous criticism for the appointment of Pitana, with plenty of accusations that he'll be biased for whatever reason.

The Referee Store
Uruguay v France - Nestor Pitana (ARG)

Brazil v Belgium - Milorad Masic (SRB)

Sweden v England - Bjorn Kuipers (NED)

Russia V Croatia - Sandro Ricci (BRA)

I'm seeing some ridiculous criticism for the appointment of Pitana, with plenty of accusations that he'll be biased for whatever reason.

It is a strange appointment, a referee from a country neighbouring Uruguay against a European Team. Of course he won't be biased, but this won't stop people jumping to ludicrous conclusions if things go wrong.

Don't Argentina and Uruguay hate each other? Maradona accuses Geiger of favouring England because he's an American... Some crackpot will make an accusation whatever the appointment. Pitana might be better attuned to potential Uruguayan antics.

I don't think they officially announce it but remember reading somewhere Byrch and Marciniak (and perhaps Turpin too) were sent home at the group stage because of refusing to allow an on-field review?

Suspect they're saving Cakir and Faghani for the semis?

byrch going is a surprise i wonder who else have stayed in russia with 4th official and var duties to lok after

If we don’t see Rochi in the Semi finals then I think he’ll get the final.

Cakir, Faghani, Rocchi and Diedhiou are my picks for the last 4 game and that's my order of preference.

It is a strange appointment, a referee from a country neighbouring Uruguay against a European Team. Of course he won't be biased, but this won't stop people jumping to ludicrous conclusions if things go wrong.

I agree, and it is already causing a bit of a stir among the French!

j'espère que ça se passera bien car la désignation est lamentable : argentin,on vient de les éliminer,c'est voisin avec l'Uruguay,même continent,même langue !!! La FIFA aurait dû mettre un asiatique ou un africain ! Moi j'ai peur

This guy, retired referee, is basically saying that it is a bad appointment, an Argentinian, who the French beat in the last round, a neighbour of Uruguay, same continent, same language. FIFA should have appointed an Asian or African. He is afraid (for the result).

Also, Byrch (GER) sent home. - http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/fu...r-fuer-deutschen-schiedsrichter-15675286.html

Iffy google translate. Anyone know where to find the official announcements of who they send home? Do they even do that?
English article saying the same thing: https://www.dw.com/en/world-cup-over-for-german-referee-felix-brych/a-44538513

I think typically it's only really reported in the official's home country. That's a big call though, give that he's both one of the best ref's in the world, and also one most familiar with VAR having had a season of it in his domestic league.

There has been poor decisions in this WC, I’m not sure how much of is down to bad luck and positioning, incompetence, hamstrung by edicts or just that they were never really up to it in the first place! What do you lot think!

That Geiger chap was a rabbit in headlights the other night as an example!

RobOda said:

Also, Byrch (GER) sent home. - http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/fu...r-fuer-deutschen-schiedsrichter-15675286.html

Iffy google translate. Anyone know where to find the official announcements of who they send home? Do they even do that?

English article saying the same thing: https://www.dw.com/en/world-cup-over-for-german-referee-felix-brych/a-44538513

I think typically it's only really reported in the official's home country. That's a big call though, give that he's both one of the best ref's in the world, and also one most familiar with VAR having had a season of it in his domestic league.

I watched this game live and thought he seemed very arrogant throughout. Apparently for this penalty incident (in this video starting at 12:33) he got a call by VAR to review it himself in the VAR area behind the 4th officials bench but he refused. It looked, and still does look a penalty. That is a big mistake on his part not to review at least, especially when requested by VAR. The VAR is there to help the referee, and avoid errors. If this man cannot at least go and see the video for himself then he shows he feels he cannot err, and shows his arrogance.

As a result he was not used again, and as one of the referees tipped for the final, even more so when Germany were eliminated, it was a big clanger by him.

Back