A&H

Promotion to Level 6

I’ve just completed my 5 games and have been promoted to L7. I really want to get promoted to L6 as soon as I can, but feel like I need a few more games before I referee adult football (mainly down to nerves). I feel like a whole year is too long to wait, but I’m really unsure whether to apply for promotion this season or next. Any advice?
The rules (from the Norfolk FA website):

• Invitations to apply for promotion will be sent by 31st December
  • Applications for promotion must be received by 31st January
How many games do I need to complete before applying for promotion?

To apply for promotion from Level 7 to Level 6 a referee must have officiated as a referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period and is required to:

• Referee a minimum of 20 games during the promotion season, 70% (14) of these must be in Adult football
  • Re-register with Norfolk FA using the Whole Game System by 31st May each year
  • Attend at least one of the five scheduled CPD Events in the summer and pass the Assessment of Knowledge Test on the Laws of the Game
  • Attend a Promotion Seminar organised by the County FA and pass the appropriate National FA test on the Laws of the Game (held in October)
  • Receive a minimum of 3 assessments, all of which must be on Adult football
  • Be pro-active in their attitude to administrative duties, including a prompt response to all appointments and the submission of closed dates to the Referee Appointments Officer, and the submission of discipline reports via the Whole Game System within the correct time period

So, you would need to apply by 31st January 2019 to be within the 19/20 season. You would need to do 14 OA matches during the promotion season.

The Referee Store
There's no need to sign up right now - and by the time you do need to sign up, if you've done the required 20 games then you should have a pretty good idea of how ready you are or not! It's good that you're finding all this information out now, but at the same time, there's no need to decide if you want to go for it this year or next until you're well into that qualifying set of 20 games.

Thanks everyone, I’m going to a Young Referees Event tomorrow and I’ll speak to my RDO about it. Thanks again for your help!

Based on what you've posted above, I'd say you need to wait.

Promotion is based on your progression, experience and ability to handle whatever issues the games applicable to your level (or the one above in your case) throw at you.

If, by your own admission you're not yet comfortable with or able to do "adult" football then why on earth you'd feel that you merit promotion (based on what? is a mystery to me (?). Not being obnoxious Alex but perhaps you're attempting to run before you can walk(?).

At your age, time is on your side mate. Referee some adult football and get that confidence and match control nailed first.

If you don't quite feel you're ready - you ain't. ;):)
You’re right to be fair...

Reactions: Kes
Back