A&H

Promotion Scheme U-Turn

A&H International
Yes, they have realised that a lot of L5 referees have got their doing little adult football (doing U19 mainly). These referees are underprepared for 5-4 promotion matches, thus wasting observer resources on candidates which won't make it,

The 5 AR matches will be a challenge in some parts of the country where is is referee only - like in York. AR's are only normally appointed to Semi and Finals; so get the matches, they will have to travel further.

So 6-5 is back to a proper test of commitment and matches.

I've had to come off the promotion pathway as I didn't complete enough games in the time frame, and now have a ruptured Achilles which will keep me out of action for a while (not even registered for next season). But looking at the pathway I'll have to stick at a L7 through my refereeing career if I start again. No way I could get 5 AR plus the required 25 games in. Plus leagues that need AR from where I are a fairly decent distance to the level I would start at.

Gate (insufficiently) closed after horse bolted

There was no harm in receiving a basic score when watched/observed. Surely a basic score was useful for identifying potential etc.... Merit always has to form some aspect of progression, even if the visits have a coaching element to them

Last edited:
Interesting to see the new AR requirement at 7-6. I didn’t expect that one.
As the quality of assistants on L4 from the younger referees is terrible, this is needed.

Some L4 will have done only 10-15 lines when they get L4 and therefore being AR on Step 3/4 matches and are quickly being found out and dropping the referee in it.

As the quality of assistants on L4 from the younger referees is terrible, this is needed.

Some L4 will have done only 10-15 lines when they get L4 and therefore being AR on Step 3/4 matches and are quickly being found out and dropping the referee in it.
I completely understand that, just hadn't thought of it! Under the same rationale, surely 6-5 could do with being put up from 5-10 maybe?

Big u-turn from the FA on promotion requirements. Was definitely very lenient last few years.View attachment 7354
3W changes are excellent news IMO, some treating it as an aside to the Men's pathway to fill gaps in the calendar or because going from 7-4 takes time.

Women's games commitment is trickier because some areas the pyramid is just barren but again, a good test of commitment

I've done 53 lines, and I'm on to get my 4 in the coming season providing all goes well. Wouldn't want to be reaching L4 with much less experience in honesty - made some errors and definitely learnt something in every game.
Start of this year I was still raising the flag in the wrong arm for offside! A good Level 4 put me straight, definitely need that experience

3W changes are excellent news IMO, some treating it as an aside to the Men's pathway to fill gaps in the calendar or because going from 7-4 takes time.

Women's games commitment is trickier because some areas the pyramid is just barren but again, a good test of commitment
I did always wonder why (some) men's games counted towards 4-3W. Makes much more sense now.

Level 7-6:
Added +5 ARs that weren't there before. A lot of floodlight leagues do teams of three, academies/universities typically do teams of three and come the end of the season it isn't uncommon for the bottom of the pyramid to put ARs on particularly important games, volunteering with you step 6/5 league for lines and finally a few final appointments. 5 ARs should be achievable for most.

Level 6-5:
Same apart from all must be U21 and above instead of your getting away with 10 youth.

So What?
So before it would take 55 games (50 middles + 5 ARs and 55% had to be Open Age [30/55]) for level 7 to 5.

Now it is a total of 60 games (50 middles + 10 ARs and 75% have to be Open Age [45/60]) for level 7 to 5.

I do think a couple of times last season, I could often get 2/3 youth games from the same club on the same day and it felt a little bit like I was gaming the system. Pretty much means if you are interested in promoting to 5 you'll be looking to cut the youth games out and be put in a position where you very likely need to join your Step 6/5 league as an AR.

Level 6-5:
Same apart from all must be U21 and above instead of your getting away with 10 youth.
Having fallen 8 middles short this season I’m rolling over into next season. Have emailed my RDO as 4 of my 17 games were youth games, so wondering if they can be used or not. Falling 8 short was bad enough, 12 will be even worse

The 5 AR matches will be a challenge in some parts of the country where is is referee only - like in York. AR's are only normally appointed to Semi and Finals; so get the matches, they will have to travel further.
Surely they can join the panel of the local step 5/6 league, something many counties recommend all promotion candidates do anyway?

The new scheme seems better preparation for the commitment needed at Level 4. As pointed out by @lincs22 AR appointments in some parts of the country aren't easy to come by except at semi and final time. Also it might mean that those who are committed get a greater chance of reward. I understand that there was a need to drive retention through promotion but as others have said it really didn't do a lot for the quality of those produced at 4 just because they could run around a track for 12 minutes.

New fitness test? I think it's the absolute dog's ******** compared to the Cooper Test and should have been introduced 10 years ago (if not more) as it more closely replicates the actions performed in a game. A better preparation for games and certainly one I could have passed in my prime.

These changes bode well for the quality if not coverage of games by referees. Those who ref for cash in junior football may see their diaries fill up faster but more often than not, they'll be following a "dad ref" who may not have done the job properly. Those who want to reach the top (or even just SG2) will demonstrate the necessary commitment.

Surely they can join the panel of the local step 5/6 league, something many counties recommend all promotion candidates do anyway?
As the former appointments officer for one of the Supply leagues in that area I can say the choices are limited since the York league lost its Supply status about 6 years ago. It's either travel to the NE for Middlesboro, Durham, etc. of SW for the West Yorks conurbation or S (a long way) to the NE Counties.

At 6-5 that would definitely be a good idea but at 7-6 wouldn't a Step 7 be better to adjust with slightly less pressure?

At 6-5 that would definitely be a good idea but at 7-6 wouldn't a Step 7 be better to adjust with slightly less pressure?
Possibly, but lots of L7s line on step 5 games. If they have come through professional club academies they will already have the skills and techniques. They'll probably start at step 6 (a lot of step 7 leagues don't use neutral assistants) but once the appointments officer gets good feedback they'll be given games at step 5. Two young L7s that lined to me at step 5 are now L1 referees in the EFL.

There are no Step 5/6 clubs within 20 miles of York. We are in a NLS backspot. Other York City, the next highest club in the NLS is our step 7 league, which doesn't have NAR.

The York Ref Sec is seeing some of his promotion candidates leaving and having less coverage on matches.

Back