A&H

Promotion News

Wolfy123

Has anyone heard anything about 7-6 and 6-5 promotions? The FA and county FAs seem to be radio silent. Games restart in two weeks, we need to know what is going on!

The Referee Store
There was a post on refsupport Facebook group about a meeting and something being released this week I think

Has anyone heard anything about 7-6 and 6-5 promotions? The FA and county FAs seem to be radio silent. Games restart in two weeks, we need to know what is going on!
This is because until the meeting today even they didn't know. It needs to be agreed across the board by the National FA before the Counties can decide as to what they are doing.

I'm personally hoping that they continue with it because I only need 1 middle in order to complete everything.

Any reason why the FA would declare 7-to-5 promo's null and void? What would that achieve and what would be lost by doing so?

My RDO told us they were waiting to hear from the FA regarding the number of matches required in order to qualify for 7-6. That was weeks ago, haven’t heard anything since.

Ref support just posted that news on promotions and how they will continue/conclude will be sent to CFAs on monday

Apparently the below was agreed before Christmas by the FA

For 7-6 and 6-5 candidates - if you have had two observations, and they are a minimum of 1 x Standard Expected and 1 x Above Standard, then this will be sufficient and a 3rd observation is not compulsory

For 5-4 candidates - if you have had 4 observations and are averaging above 70, then the 5th observation will not be compulsory.

My RDO said last night they're waiting to hear as to how many games need to be completed but believe it will be reduced. A certain number of youth and academy games can also be taken into account.

That's ridiculous if that is the case. Have done 16 games so far on my 6-5, only received 1 observation (the last of the 16) after complaining that they had forgotten me. If I don't get passed because they haven't completed enough observations them I'm not going to be too impressed

For 5-4 candidates - if you have had 4 observations and are averaging above 70, then the 5th observation will not be compulsory.

That doesn't sound right as 5 observations have never been compulsory for 5 to 4. Candidates with 4 or even 3 observations have been promoted, the only difference is if they don't have 5 reports they have to be in the top half of the club marks merit table for their main league.

In any case, there can't possibly be any demotion from L4 this season, so the only vacancies at L4 will be those who voluntarily step down.

That doesn't sound right as 5 observations have never been compulsory for 5 to 4. Candidates with 4 or even 3 observations have been promoted, the only difference is if they don't have 5 reports they have to be in the top half of the club marks merit table for their main league.

In any case, there can't possibly be any demotion from L4 this season, so the only vacancies at L4 will be those who voluntarily step down.

Yep and where I am in the country we've already got too many L4's for games as the FA took referees on the basis of the league restructuring which hasn't happened and may not again this off-season.

For 7-6 and 6-5 candidates - if you have had two observations, and they are a minimum of 1 x Standard Expected and 1 x Above Standard, then this will be sufficient and a 3rd observation is not compulsory

My RDO said last night they're waiting to hear as to how many games need to be completed but believe it will be reduced. A certain number of youth and academy games can also be taken into account.
I’ll be really gutted if I can’t go for promotion next season. Had my first full season of adult’s middles (still did some youth as well), and didn’t reach the required number of games. I’ve had a good season and my coach has massively helped me. I feel totally ready for promotion and it’ll almost feel like a year wasted if I can’t apply. Although I’ve learned so much, I really wanted to be a 6 by the time I turn 22

As I suspected, it is confirmed that there are no promotions or demotions between levels 2B and 4 this season, and the knock on of this is there will be no promotion between 5 and 4. There are two plus sides - any observations carried out at 5 to 4 will carry into 2021/22, and there will be an opportunity for people to be promoted at an interim point of the 201/22 playing season. I guess by that they mean those showing exceptional promise.

7 to 6, 6 to 5, and W4 to W3 amended as below ...

1616455916538.png

At which level do you want to know? For 2021/2(?)
I’m a level 7. I managed 17 games in the 20/21 season, but only about 7 or 8 adult middles. It’s annoying because I’ve felt really good about them and had good advice and feedback so was really hoping I could go for promotion in the 21/22 season

Notice from the FA regarding promotions.

The important (and disappointing) wording is in respect of 5-4 promotions, and quoting
The Committee, therefore, decided that promotions from Level 5-4 at the end of season 2020/21 will not take place. However, the Committee strongly believe that the information from performances completed on constituent competitions should not be discounted. It was, therefore, agreed that decisions regarding promotion and reclassification at the end of 2021/22 will be based on data from 1 August 2020 – End of Playing season 2021/22 (e.g. 30 April 2022).

For 6-5 and 7-6 more hopeful wording
The following amendments were, therefore, approved into the current criteria:
• Reduction from refereeing 20 to 15 games in a promotion season
• Reduction from 3 to 2 observations within the marking season (achieving above standard grades in both observations or above standard and standard expected grades)
• Removal of the requirement to operate as assistant referee in at least 5 matches. The lack of Step 5/6 football has prevented access to assistant referee appointments during the season (Level 6-5 promotion only)
There is greater detail in the document.

Attachments

• Promotions.Reclassifications Season 2020.21[13296].pdf
    145 KB · Views: 20
Notice from the FA regarding promotions.

The important (and disappointing) wording is in respect of 5-4 promotions, and quoting

For 6-5 and 7-6 more hopeful wording

There is greater detail in the document.

For 5-4 I'm not sure it's that disappointing, it's more realistic. Fact is that there will be few referees that have done anywhere near enough games in the middle and had enough observations to be a level playing field.

The small number of games taken place at step 5/6 means that lines won't have been done either.

Add in the fact that there were almost no fitness tests for the 5-4 candidates it's basically a lottery even within the same county.

The final piece is that with no demotion from 4-5 this year, plus extending the first year immunity to the end of next season, it would have been neigh on unworkable.

Ultimately the referees at 5 who are good enough and fit enough will get promoted either at the end of next season OR they are talking about a mid season promotion as well.

Just seems like a common sense approach. 7-6 and 6-5 don't matter so much because you don't have to have a finite number at those levels, so I can understand why they have allowed them to continue.

I’m a level 7. I managed 17 games in the 20/21 season, but only about 7 or 8 adult middles. It’s annoying because I’ve felt really good about them and had good advice and feedback so was really hoping I could go for promotion in the 21/22 season
If your County RDO is available give them a ring or e-mail as hopefully the counties will have been given guidance as to situations like yours. Good luck!

Well I emailed my county FA regarding me having no observations as that's the only thing that may stop me and I was advised that all information will be presented to the Referee's committee and they will decide if we have no observations

Back