A&H

Pre-match instructions

Until recently (last couple of seasons), the instructions were to stand in line with the edge of the goal area and ensure the ball was placed on the line or inside the goal area. It was felt that ensuring the assistant was back up in line with the 2nd rear most defender was more important than ensuring the ball was placed correctly. The instructions were changed so that the first kick in each half was checked to ensure the ball was correctly placed in the goal area, from a position in line with the edge of the goal area, for the first goal kick of each half. After that, each kick should be checked from a position in line with the edge of the penalty area (i.e. 16.5 m from the goal line) which gave the assistant a 16.5m head start on the run up to the 2nd rear most defender.

Hope that make it a little clearer.

All seems fairly pointless to be honest. ?
You don't actually NEED to be exactly in line with the goal area to see that the ball has been correctly placed (ie not outside it).
And in any event, by the time GK has placed it, walked backwards, paused, and taken his run-up, unless you're grossly unfit, you've plenty of time to get back in line with the 2nd rear most defender. :confused:

The Referee Store
All seems fairly pointless to be honest. ?
You don't actually NEED to be exactly in line with the goal area to see that the ball has been correctly placed (ie not outside it).
And in any event, by the time GK has placed it, walked backwards, paused, and taken his run-up, unless you're grossly unfit, you've plenty of time to get back in line with the 2nd rear most defender. :confused:
There's a lot of things which are pointless in the game, such as both the referee and the assistant signalling the direction of the throw-in, but they are in there for consistency between the actions of ARs during a game and across a series of games. It also helps bond the team in the eyes of the participants.

There's a lot of things which are pointless in the game, such as both the referee and the assistant signalling the direction of the throw-in, but they are in there for consistency between the actions of ARs during a game and across a series of games. It also helps bond the team in the eyes of the participants.

The example you've given (throw in signalling) I don't think is pointless Brian. Direction of throw is often hotly disputed as you know. Having the ref and his AR/CAR seen to be in collusion on that decision is important. Having an AR monitoring the position of the ball during a goal kick by being in line with the goal area and then changing the requirement to do so by a few metres ..... is pointless (IMO of course). :D

The example you've given (throw in signalling) I don't think is pointless Brian. Direction of throw is often hotly disputed as you know. Having the ref and his AR/CAR seen to be in collusion on that decision is important. Having an AR monitoring the position of the ball during a goal kick by being in line with the goal area and then changing the requirement to do so by a few metres ..... is pointless (IMO of course). :D
They don't monitor it from there silly boy They check it is correctly placed from there and once they're happy it's correctly placed, they leg it up the touchline to the 2nd rear most. As you can see from the edge of the PA whether the ball is in the GA, it makes sense to take advantage of that 16.5m head start to the 2nd rear most.

They don't monitor it from there silly boy They check it is correctly placed from there and once they're happy it's correctly placed, they leg it up the touchline to the 2nd rear most. As you can see from the edge of the PA whether the ball is in the GA, it makes sense to take advantage of that 16.5m head start to the 2nd rear most.

I know that Brian!! I have done it myself once or twice you know..... ;) :D Anyway, I didn't say the AR remained rooted there as the goal kick was taken did I?
I just think it was a pointless and unnecessary amendment, for the reasons I gave in my original post on this matter. You clearly don't, but I do. So ner and good day to you Sir. :p

Personally I think the insistence upon the AR having to run to the corner before signalling a GK/CK is quite pointless....
I think the AR also needs to make a judgement call on checking goal kick ball placement. Some games, the team seem to place it on the outside edge every kick. In those ones....well, he just might have to stay there every time.
Of course, this is more likely at the lower levels who think those 6 inches make a difference on a 60 yard kick. Fortunately half the time there will be a defender square to the GA anyway (which also makes it awkward, because the AR moving upfield is sort of a signal to the referee.....so then sometimes he needs to move ahead of that 2nd last defender. At least, that's been my experience here otherwise I've had referees think it needed to be retaken because I hadn't moved!)

I know this was written a long time ago and things have changed since but some info for those who are looking through the forum.

The average attention span for someone talking straight is about 7 minutes - don't let your pre-match instructions go over this, you'll lose the interest of the assistants. Try to keep the briefing at 5 minutes maximum.

The rough guide I like to use:

1. Admin & housekeeping -- Seniority etc, pre-match etc. Background on teams.
2. Ball in and out of play - Throw ins, goal kicks, corners. Key is eye contact, don't have thirds. Watch me. We lead together get it right downstairs before we go up.
3. Freekicks; look at my position, would you want it if you were the ref.
4. Penalties, 4 things.
5. Mass confrontation

I know this was written a long time ago and things have changed since but some info for those who are looking through the forum.

The average attention span for someone talking straight is about 7 minutes - don't let your pre-match instructions go over this, you'll lose the interest of the assistants. Try to keep the briefing at 5 minutes maximum.

The rough guide I like to use:

1. Admin & housekeeping -- Seniority etc, pre-match etc. Background on teams.
2. Ball in and out of play - Throw ins, goal kicks, corners. Key is eye contact, don't have thirds. Watch me. We lead together get it right downstairs before we go up.
3. Freekicks; look at my position, would you want it if you were the ref.
4. Penalties, 4 things.
5. Mass confrontation

At which point do you cover offsides?

Wrote this 5 years ago when thirds was the current fad on Supply[/QUOTe
@Brian Hamilton , i was just re reading this post as i did a line yesterday and the man in the middle thought his own pre-match wasnt very good, i however disagreed and thought he was very clear about what he wanted and what he said went a long way to making my job a very enjoyable experience. your checklist in the OP refers to 'thirds' for throw ins, which is what we did yesterday, without actually using that word. it was my first occurrence of this and i found it very useful.... ive copied the '5 years ago' part of your response to ask, how is it generally done these days?
apologies if this subject has been done to death elsewhere

I worked with a level 3 last week who went with my half his half but make sure we get it right.

Simple, true and effective

@Brian Hamilton , i was just re reading this post as i did a line yesterday and the man in the middle thought his own pre-match wasnt very good, i however disagreed and thought he was very clear about what he wanted and what he said went a long way to making my job a very enjoyable experience. your checklist in the OP refers to 'thirds' for throw ins, which is what we did yesterday, without actually using that word. it was my first occurrence of this and i found it very useful.... ive copied the '5 years ago' part of your response to ask, how is it generally done these days?
apologies if this subject has been done to death elsewhere

As @Darius said, it can be halves or thirds these days.

Back