A&H

Pre match brief in centre circle

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
i'm sure a lot of us worked hard at getting our prematch lecture just right before realising it's pointless!! I know I did :)
Not me Sir. I still remember. Only did it a a few games. Changed them every time because they either didn't work or worked against me. Then I did a line for a senior experienced ref who just did introductions and coin toss. He asked us ARs to make sure we smiled when the captains approached and during introductions. That was all I needed.

The Referee Store
No not swearing in general, swearing at me directly or indirectly, forget I mentioned it honestly.

I’ve given one yellow for dissent in 20 games & im currently on 7 Games in a row without a card so I’ll carry on with my approach until that changes.

If it works for you that’s great, it’s just something I was told on my course, and by various other referees over the years and has stood me in good stead.

Same with me, its a hand shake, good luck, toss coin and away we go

One thing I do add that might be in the minority, is, I introduce myself by name to them, and if I have NAR then I introduce them at the coin toss too. It might, just might, lessen potential dissent if the captain knows I also have a name and am not just known as, referee.

You forgot to say "enjoy the game", otherwise those were my instructions - unless it was a cup match, when I explained wither there was penalties, replay or straight to penalties.

You forgot to say "enjoy the game", otherwise those were my instructions - unless it was a cup match, when I explained wither there was penalties, replay or straight to penalties.

Ok, I suppose on reflection I go "good luck" or "enjoy the game", certainly nothing more than that. I do it without even thinking so yes, it be one of those two lines.
I personally cover the extra time pens thing when given the team sheets, as to me thats an administration issue.

I personally cover the extra time pens thing when given the team sheets, as to me thats an administration issue.
I never tell them this unless asked. This is part of the competition rules. Just like laws of the game, this is something they should know and it is not for me to tell them. But I don't see any harm in volunteering the information if kept very short and brief.

I’d be very wary of stating my approach to anything like dissent and particularly a zero tolerance - you’re just making a rod for your own back.

Because the first free kick you give, you can guarantee that at the very least, someone will say ‘what?’ as soon as you whistle. Is that dissent? A zero tolerance approach says yes. And if you don’t caution that, someone from the opposite team will pipe up “oi ref, thought you were zero tolerance?”. Is that dissent?

Why would you put your own match control needlessly under scrutiny so early?
I mention one or two pleasantries (meteorological conditions, Brexit latest, that sort of thing). Exchange first names and crack on. Anything else you say will be taken down as evidence and may be held against you

Never give them too much to go on, not just captains but players in general. They will find a way to use it against you. Referee I was with the other week told a player something like "I'll wait 3 seconds to see if there is an advantage". Of course there was a foul that the ref blew for instantly, when the ball fell to a player through on goal - cue the "ref what about the 3 seconds, you said it yourself, that's a joke..." etc etc etc

I brief my CAR's (who do offside here).

Captains

1) Play to whistle - just because you see offside flag go up doesn't mean i'll blow, so keep going until I do
2) If I use you, its to calm a player down and stop a booking. Even if you think i'm wrong, better you get hold of him before I book him. If he's getting a card i'm not going to bring you in.
3) I've got a pretty low tolerance for players screaming at me from 5+ yards away so please keep hold of your players
4) Away team call in air please

Takes about 30 seconds max. Its value varies depending on whether you're dealing with "good" captains who do help manage their players or the "bad" ones who typically are the most gobby on the pitch and often the worst troublemakers.

I was on the line for my son on a county cup game this season. I've run the line for him before but not for a while. Anyway, he got the captains in and said "you're heads you're tails" tossed the coin and said stay "as you are, your kick".
He's been about a bit, my lad, so he knows they usually don't listen.

I never tell them this unless asked. This is part of the competition rules. Just like laws of the game, this is something they should know and it is not for me to tell them. But I don't see any harm in volunteering the information if kept very short and brief.

I only do it because I dont want them asking either with ten mins to go or even at the end itself!

I was on the line for my son on a county cup game this season. I've run the line for him before but not for a while. Anyway, he got the captains in and said "you're heads you're tails" tossed the coin and said stay "as you are, your kick".
He's been about a bit, my lad, so he knows they usually don't listen.

I agree with minimal. But allow me to ask? Surely winner of toss gets to choose ends?

The more you say you'll do the more they'll crucify you when you don't do what you said in your speech! Short, precise, enjoy the game, lets go!!

i know a referee who has the refsworld coin wih respect on one side and the red/yellow cards on the other home captain flips away captain calls, after handshake she says ok will we have respect or the cards, works a treat

Back