A&H

Pre match brief in centre circle

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I was wondering if anyone had a specific brief they give the captains in centre circle b4 kick off during coin toss.

I have made a bit of pigs ear of it until now, I almost get a little tongue tied i think partly to the fact that I don’t have a regular speach to read I sort of make it up on the spot.

The one thing I do stress is dissent and my zero tolerance but I’d actually like a confident clear message to give them, I listened to both refs over the wknd & still I’m unsure of what & how much I need to say.

Could anyone share there pre match brief..

The Referee Store
@Men in Black This has been covered elsewhere a few times, search the forum and i am sure you will find other peoples views.

Personally i say very little, in all honesty the captains arent really bothered what you say and wont listen or take notice either.

Mine goes like this, "Enjoy the game, control your players, home team, heads or tails?" Done

Personally, I don't bother with much of a pre-match brief as:=
  1. The captains tend not to take any notice
  2. If they do, they don't relay anything to their team-mates anyway
What I tend to do, is give a bit of a lecture to the CAR's on their duties in their presence and feel that the captains get the sense that I am in control from that.

I also wondered if I could be saying something more useful but I also agree that captains couldn't care less what you have to say and they certainly won't control their dissenting players (as they are often the most vocal dissenters)

Same with me, its a hand shake, good luck, toss coin and away we go

One thing I do add that might be in the minority, is, I introduce myself by name to them, and if I have NAR then I introduce them at the coin toss too. It might, just might, lessen potential dissent if the captain knows I also have a name and am not just known as, referee.

Only really brief them if I decide I cba to wear my hearing aids for the match. Just to let them know I can't hear them. ;)

Interesting response, I guess I’ll keep it very short and sweet then.

And I agree in my short experience so far often captains can be worse than the others anyway.

You were a player. Did you enjoy when some refs would give lectures? Probably not. Get the captains. Flip a coin. Start the game.

To be fair I was never captain but it would be good to give an indication to the players of what sort of ref you are rather than it being a surprise to them 5 mins in.

Also captains tend to have a level of influence and respect from there team mates so I thought it be good to get them onside early.

Also captains tend to have a level of influence and respect from there team mates so I thought it be good to get them onside early.

Not in my experience. It's very rare you get support and assistance from a captain. At best you are wasting your time, at worst you are appearing weak.
Get the game going and use the laws and sanctions to control the game.

Same with me, its a hand shake, good luck, toss coin and away we go

One thing I do add that might be in the minority, is, I introduce myself by name to them, and if I have NAR then I introduce them at the coin toss too. It might, just might, lessen potential dissent if the captain knows I also have a name and am not just known as, referee.

I missed that bit, yes i always introduce myself and my assistants by name.

I say Gentlemen/ladies you been playing football for long enough and you know whats acceptable and unaceptable lets keep it acceptable. Brief the CARs do the toss shake hands and wish them good luck. I always introduce myself.

Not in my experience. It's very rare you get support and assistance from a captain. At best you are wasting your time, at worst you are appearing weak.
Get the game going and use the laws and sanctions to control the game.

Appearing weak by giving captains a quick brief before kick off & then turning to them in the first instance inplay to calm a team mate down that is flirting with a booking or even a red.

Personally if I was captain I’d appreciate a word in my ear from the ref to say your no7 is skating on thin ice & give me the chance to deal with him rather than go down to 10 men.

I’m surprised your so against having any sort of a rapport with a captain.

I’m with others.

- Hi I’m Will - your name?
- Cheers. You don’t want to hear a long speech from the ref so let’s play football.
- Head or tails?

...only exception is if there is a dodgy double line (yes that actually happened a few weeks ago) or tree hanging over or something odd - I will tell them how I’ll be handling those situations. In those cases they usually shout back to their team so they know. It’s rare but otherwise super short.

I have been assistant to refs that go through so much including one particular ref that explained the offside law and the careless, reckless, excessive steps for fouls and on and on. It was so cringe and the captains were not even listening a little. I had to call him on it after the game I was genuinely curious if he thought players listened. He thought it helped him set out his stall - each to their own.

The first thing I do is brief my CARs.

Then I tell the captains that I do t mind a chat if the time and tone is right, but people screaming at me from halfway across the pitch is going to get on my nerves. I also tell them that they know who their troublemakers are and to keep them under control.

Obvious I use a few more words, and it does vary slightly depending on if it’s a cup match when I remind them we’ll be going on to extra time and penalties etc.

But the whole thing takes me no more that a minute or two.

As for using the captain, I will if I think the captain is going to be of any use.

The first thing I do is brief my CARs.

Then I tell the captains that I do t mind a chat if the time and tone is right, but people screaming at me from halfway across the pitch is going to get on my nerves. I also tell them that they know who their troublemakers are and to keep them under control.

Obvious I use a few more words, and it does vary slightly depending on if it’s a cup match when I remind them we’ll be going on to extra time and penalties etc.

But the whole thing takes me no more that a minute or two.

As for using the captain, I will if I think the captain is going to be of any use.

Good shout about keeping your hot heads under control I’ll use that tonite, I’ll say you control them or my cards will control them.

Appearing weak by giving captains a quick brief before kick off & then turning to them in the first instance inplay to calm a team mate down that is flirting with a booking or even a red.

Personally if I was captain I’d appreciate a word in my ear from the ref to say your no7 is skating on thin ice & give me the chance to deal with him rather than go down to 10 men.

I agree with this @Men in Black, i am not sure where Hoof It is coming from? Using the captain is not being weak in the slightest. Are we not taught this? Stepped approach etc etc. I do agree that sometimes the captain isn't worth a carrot but there will be someone on that pitch that is reasonable and will work with you.

As I said, it's rare to get support from a captain. The Laws and Sanctions are the way to control the game.

Back