A&H

Positive Comments

Jevon Swinscoe

In a time where everyone may be not feeling 100% because of the lack of football or work (Or both in my case) I was wondering what positive comments people have had from others?

Can be from a Middle or Line and can be more than 1 if you have had more than 1.

My first one come's from this season when I did an U12 game my first one in around 9 years and after the game I received a Facebook comment from one of the Parents saying 'We've never had a ref of that quality, the lads just normally hear a whistle and not a reason why'. Put a smile on my face for that weekend

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Did a cup match as a team of 3 and referees appointments officer found complimentary remarks about us from both teams on twitter and passed them on to us - that was good!

Last month I called off a game (waterlogged pitch) one coach wasn't impressed on the day but manager (same team) sent me a text the next day, saying they had stayed behind for a training session and that my judgement re the pitch was spot on!

Reactions: one
I had a team a couple times just before Christmas who were very complimentary, saying how I “let the game flow” and just let them play football.
I’m never sure if that kind of comment is truly reflective of the referee though, as to let a game flow relies on the players as well. A game can’t flow if they’re all intent on kicking each other!
It was still nice to have a team be positive though, as usually no feedback means we’ve had a good game! 😂

Both last season.
Started with a new local association and only managed availability for ladies games once. Got positive comments from both teams on my communication skills.
Also a reserve grade AAM being assessed (state league), first time working with that AR1, AR1 commenting to assessor "this guy's runs like a 20 year old". I'm 55. This was in my report as a positive.

Last edited:
I had a 14 year old at the end of a game recently say to me “thanks Ref your the first Ref we’ve had this year that’s not biased against us!”

i’m sure that’s not true but I’ll take it

At the end of a game this season a manager at the end said to me " I know it is easy to say when we have won 6-0 but you controlled the game well and the best we have had this year".
Also had some really nice comments from observers over the years which are always nice to hear from neutral quarters.

At the end of a game this season a manager at the end said to me " I know it is easy to say when we have won 6-0 but you controlled the game well and the best we have had this year".
Also had some really nice comments from observers over the years which are always nice to hear from neutral quarters.
Yes nice comments from the losing side are always good, if a bit rare!

'Best' and 'worst referee we've ever had' are a bit meaningless really - both very rarely true!:p

My favourite of the season, difficult game, problem striker, his team has lost 2-1, comes to the centre circle, tells me I'm the best ref they've had this season... that wouldn't normally be that remarkable except that his coach was just closing for a fist bump with me - and his coach is a very good young(er) referee, refs a few levels higher, will probably make it to the top division in a couple of years... I get on with him, but we've had problems before when he's been coaching and he kinda doesn't necessarily rate me... so, frankly it was glorious and I'm gonna dine out on it for a while!

'Best' and 'worst referee we've ever had' are a bit meaningless really - both very rarely true!
I get the occasional 'best ref this season'. More believable when early in the season :) or when reffing teams/grades who usually get less experienced referees.

My favourite was this season, when my coach watched me for the first time. A spectator came by at full time when my coach was telling me how I did, etc and said ‘you’re the best ref we’ve had up here for years’. Appreciate the timing as it was right in front of my coach😂

I got praise from England's top commentator, Martin Tyler, when he came on the pitch after and said "my manager doesn't agree with this, but I thought you had a good game". Which was interesting, given I agreed with his manager as I thought I'd had a bit of a disaster of a game :)

I got praise from England's top commentator, Martin Tyler, when he came on the pitch after and said "my manager doesn't agree with this, but I thought you had a good game". Which was interesting, given I agreed with his manager as I thought I'd had a bit of a disaster of a game :)

i always knew tyler was losing his marbles...

I'll be honest. I'm conflicted by 'positive comments'. Like most people, I register all feedback, good & bad, but I'm sure this reflects relative inexperience. I'd like to reach the point where it's all 'water off a ducks back', unless something gets mentioned that I hadn't thought of, but could learn from
Otherwise, reflect, learn, move on... and don't pay too much attention to 'any' comments. Like everything, 'sounds easy'!

I'll be honest. I'm conflicted by 'positive comments'. Like most people, I register all feedback, good & bad, but I'm sure this reflects relative inexperience. I'd like to reach the point where it's all 'water off a ducks back', unless something gets mentioned that I hadn't thought of, but could learn from
Otherwise, reflect, learn, move on... and don't pay too much attention to 'any' comments. Like everything, 'sounds easy'!
I do think that's a good idea in principal. But on the one occasion that jumps to mind for me, it was an away manager of a team who narrowly lost that went out of his way to look me up, find my number and text me that he thought I did well - it's honestly hard to ignore that extra level of effort that was required!

I just thought I would try and put smiles on people's face's. I've been refereeing for a number of years and It's all water off a ducks back to me now because I've heard pretty much everything from players.

Last fall, I had parents from both teams give our crew a very nice ovation after we walked off the pitch following a very fun U16 boys match.

The funniest "positive comment" I ever received was in a U15 boys match. I cautioned a player for a SPA foul. The kid knew it, and nodded at me as I gave him the card. A player on the other team remarked to two kids (one from each team), "Man, how nice is it to have a referee that knows what he's doing?" Both kids said something to the effect of "I agree." I had to chuckle at that one.

Last edited:
Ok, mine's a little different. I started as an AR in a new league earlier in the season and was enjoying going out with new people. Had one guy from the Air Force who was really experienced. He gave an excellent briefing, had a pleasant but efficient manner and controlled the game really confidently, backing us up without ever being over the top.

When we were on our way out we were exchanging the normal pleasantries and I mentioned that he was probably the best ref I'd worked with in a long time. He was really pleased - and asked me why I thought that - which I told him of course. He thanked me and got in his car with a big smile. Made me feel good to think my words could have such a good effect - and I'd definitely not be shy in doing it again in the future now.

Back