A&H

POR-URU Matchday 8 (Faghani - Iran)

The Referee Store
So basically all of these FIFA Futuro video clips I've watched for handling on the "support arm" are not valid anymore. The one and only thing I could see is that the crew felt this was a deliberate action even though the arm is going straight down to brace the fall. But then, we are judging mindset and intent which I thought we weren't supposed to do.

For me, this knocks what otherwise was a solid performance on a potentially volatile match.

Peter Walton on ITV is so vague… stopped the progress of the bal… WTF Peter.., stop confusing, defending and obfuscating… it’s a sh*t decision based on the LotG! Quote, explain!

I thought the referee was actually smirking… did he also know it was rubbish?!
Really don’t like Walton. Think he’s awful

So basically all of these FIFA Futuro video clips I've watched for handling on the "support arm" are not valid anymore. The one and only thing I could see is that the crew felt this was a deliberate action even though the arm is going straight down to brace the fall. But then, we are judging mindset and intent which I thought we weren't supposed to do.

For me, this knocks what otherwise was a solid performance on a potentially volatile match.
Playing devil’s advocate here, but at the moment of the handball, it is not a supporting arm. It is about 20cm off the ground. Have they given the penalty on this technicality?

That’s not an issue with the rules, it’s an issue with the person (people) enforcing it
Discussed countless times on this forum i’m sure, but would like to see the word ‘deliberate’ back in as main part, this unnatural size just causes too many issues. Still not perfect but better that what we have now.

EDIT: bit clunky with my words but think you know what I am trying to get at

Last edited:
This is an official, direct FIFA educational photo. Note that the arm is off the ground.

1669669999860.png
Now if the crew decided that this was a deliberate handling, I can understand that decision. But that's some 4D mind-reading to figure that one out after the defender was broken down by Fernandes.

Discussed countless times on this forum i’m sure, but would like to see the word ‘deliberate’ back in as main part, this unnatural size just causes too many issues. Still not perfect but better that what we have now.
You might want to have a quick read over law 12 when you have time

Playing devil’s advocate here, but at the moment of the handball, it is not a supporting arm. It is about 20cm off the ground. Have they given the penalty on this technicality?
The support arm "clause" was taken out of law in 2021/22. All they can decide now is was the arm in a natural position for the action being made, and for me the answer is very much yes. For that action there is literally nowhere else his arm could be, it is a terrible decision. I could just about support a referee making that decision with one look, but for VAR officials to watch it back multiple times and come to the conclusion the referee has made a clear and obvious error is truly, truly, shocking.

You might want to have a quick read over law 12 when you have time
Bit clunky with my words.

Deliberate is the first bullet point of handball in law12. Deliberate does not form part of the unnatural part.

i.e If the ball hits your arm and it is in an unnatural position it is a handball offence, irrespective of whether your arm was there deliberately or not.

Last edited:
This is an official, direct FIFA educational photo. Note that the arm is off the ground.

View attachment 6191
Now if the crew decided that this was a deliberate handling, I can understand that decision. But that's some 4D mind-reading to figure that one out after the defender was broken down by Fernandes.
Beautiful

I am late to this, but never a penalty. I've turned down many things like that this season.

Arm is natural for his movement, supporting his fall, and keeping him upright where possible.

Little to no time to react, and quite close. Crazy.

It's one where only showing slow motion makes it look more deliberate. At full speed it's a clear support arm.

The support arm "clause" was taken out of law in 2021/22. All they can decide now is was the arm in a natural position for the action being made, and for me the answer is very much yes. For that action there is literally nowhere else his arm could be, it is a terrible decision. I could just about support a referee making that decision with one look, but for VAR officials to watch it back multiple times and come to the conclusion the referee has made a clear and obvious error is truly, truly, shocking.
Mu understanding is that the support arm is still part of the teaching on what unnatural position means. (I thought the pic @RefIADad posted was from the current materials from FIFA.)

I would love to hear the conversation between ref and VAR but FIFA would never release the audio because it would make the officials look even more incompetent.

It's one where only showing slow motion makes it look more deliberate. At full speed it's a clear support arm.
Absolutely boils my piss that they don’t review AT ACTUAL SPEED. See also: Canada’s penalty against Belgium. Never a pen. (Disclaimer: am Canadian)

Absolutely boils my piss that they don’t review AT ACTUAL SPEED. See also: Canada’s penalty against Belgium. Never a pen. (Disclaimer: am Canadian)
So here is a question (perhaps better as a separate thread) if VAR was changed so that VAR referees and any referral to match referees were only ever played at full speed, would that make it better or worse?

Mu understanding is that the support arm is still part of the teaching on what unnatural position means. (I thought the pic @RefIADad posted was from the current materials from FIFA.)
May well be, but difficult to teach something that isn't written down.

I don't think this is down to the laws or teachings though, rather it is really poor human error. I don't see how either referee or VAR can have any further participation in the tournament.

So here is a question (perhaps better as a separate thread) if VAR was changed so that VAR referees and any referral to match referees were only ever played at full speed, would that make it better or worse?

The VAR protocol in the Laws are already down that path. It says slow motion is to determine point of contact but full speed for deciding offense vs no offense.

The VAR can ‘check’ the footage in normal speed and/or in slow motion but, in general, slow motion replays should only be used for facts, e.g. position of offence/player, point of contact for physical offences and handball, ball out of play (including goal/no goal); normal speed should be used for the ‘intensity’ of an offence or to decide if it was a handball offence

Back